d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Racism In Construction Trades > Looking For Opinions
12316Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 24.00
Feb 10 2018 05:53am
So I doubt anyone remembers me, I use to post daily in pard during Obama’s first term but fell away slowly because I realized ppl on here say shit just to be divisive and not taking shit seriously. BUT I do want some opinions and would like to hear from “both sides”.

I’ve been plumbing going on 4 years and have joined a few closed plumbing pages on Facebook.

90% of these pages are just plumbing related post but since trumps election the amount of straight up racist post / comments has skyrocketed. Normally I can brush these post off as just hicks being hicks. But I’m seeing company owners post memes and videos that I’m sure any of there customers (specially service companies customers) seen they would not be in business.
My question is, do I sit back, do nothing? Do I use these screenshots and post to there companies page since these guys are so proud of their post? I’ll post some of the screenshots if interested after I edit out names n such so you guys can get a better idea of the type of things said / shown.

Any other trades in here that have noticed this up tic?
Gold: 2,407.00
Feb 10 2018 05:58am
My opinion, which is just based on my experience dealing with other people and not businesses, is to just not be a pot stirrer. If someone asks what you think of one of those companies feel free to say you think the owner is an asshole, but don't start a "smear campaign" so to speak.

/e just because I think doing so will cause you more problems than it's worth.

This post was edited by Mastersam93 on Feb 10 2018 05:59am
Gold: 8,933.00
Feb 10 2018 06:03am
I remember that you posted here. I think I probably disagreed with you most of the time, but that is neither here nor there.

As to your current situation, my dad has been so fond of saying this all my life: "Thou shalt not shit in thine own nest."
Gold: 5,016.77
Feb 10 2018 06:06am

I agree with Santara... leave it alone. Tradies are more racist than the general population.

This post was edited by IceMage on Feb 10 2018 06:10am
Gold: 200.83
Feb 10 2018 06:09am
what would reporting someone for having an opinion that upsets you accomplish?
Feb 10 2018 06:15am
Quote (Mastersam93 @ Feb 10 2018 05:58am)
My opinion, which is just based on my experience dealing with other people and not businesses, is to just not be a pot stirrer. If someone asks what you think of one of those companies feel free to say you think the owner is an asshole, but don't start a "smear campaign" so to speak.

/e just because I think doing so will cause you more problems than it's worth.

Thank you for your thoughts on this. I've been on the fence for the same reason you're giving, i don't want to start a smear campaign, but at the same time these "men" are talking about how they have "hidden spic fees" saying they charge more if the customer is hard to understand (broken english), others taking pictures of poor families living conditions (which in itself is totally wrong to do as a service plumber) and mocking them for it, or just straight racist assumptions i.e. "welfare n****r didn't have tip money, bet he had enough food stamps to buy me dinner at least". shit that doesn't have a place imo...
And i would love to think that i would be asked about these companies, but these pages are nation wide, most are small businesses, and in very different parts of the country, obviously i would never interact with other then these pages.

Quote (Santara @ Feb 10 2018 06:03am)
I remember that you posted here. I think I probably disagreed with you most of the time, but that is neither here nor there.

As to your current situation, my dad has been so fond of saying this all my life: "Thou shalt not shit in thine own nest."

first off, just want to say :hail: .
2nd, yes we definitely butted heads and hindsight i should have shown you more respect.

my dad has been so fond of saying this all my life: "Thou shalt not shit in thine own nest."

I hope you understand how fitting this is for being somewhat plumbing related :D and very wise indeed.
Gold: 2,407.00
Feb 10 2018 06:20am
Quote (DViolent @ Feb 10 2018 07:15am)
Thank you for your thoughts on this. I've been on the fence for the same reason you're giving, i don't want to start a smear campaign, but at the same time these "men" are talking about how they have "hidden spic fees" saying they charge more if the customer is hard to understand (broken english), others taking pictures of poor families living conditions (which in itself is totally wrong to do as a service plumber) and mocking them for it, or just straight racist assumptions i.e. "welfare n****r didn't have tip money, bet he had enough food stamps to buy me dinner at least". shit that doesn't have a place imo...
And i would love to think that i would be asked about these companies, but these pages are nation wide, most are small businesses, and in very different parts of the country, obviously i would never interact with other then these pages.

That sounds like there's gotta be some legal entity you could talk to.
Feb 10 2018 06:22am
Quote (IceMage @ Feb 10 2018 06:06am)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpB5oLYlQmI

I agree with Santara... leave it alone. Tradies are more racist than the general population.

to me, bold and underlined is a real problem.

How do people expect other races to "get off their ass and get off the system" all the while knowing these people have no chance at being hired at most shops.

Quote (majorblood @ Feb 10 2018 06:09am)
what would reporting someone for having an opinion that upsets you accomplish?

Its not the fact that i cant stand the shit, like i said i can normally bush it all off, but the degree at which it goes on, the fact that they are openly admitting to charging more based on race? Thats not something i think is okay and not sure how you can justify.

Also clearly I'm on the fence on whether i want to say anything at all, thus i made a post in the most trolled forum on jsp.

This post was edited by DViolent on Feb 10 2018 06:27am
Feb 10 2018 06:24am
Quote (Mastersam93 @ Feb 10 2018 06:20am)
That sounds like there's gotta be some legal entity you could talk to.

ya, thats what i'm saying. this isn't just them speaking their minds...

they will post pictures of peoples kids, talking about how bad the "n*****r boy" smelled. It really is some fucked up shit...

This post was edited by DViolent on Feb 10 2018 06:25am
Gold: 8,933.00
Feb 10 2018 06:29am
Quote (DViolent @ Feb 10 2018 06:22am)
Its not the fact that i cant stand the shit, like i said i can normally bush it all off, but the degree at which it goes on, the fact that they are openly admitting to charging more based on race? Thats not something i think is okay and not sure how you can justify.

Also clearly I'm on the fence on wether i want to say anything at all, thus i made a post in the most trolled forum on jsp.

Here's how I would boil it down. Let's assume you leak something to the media and some deft sleuthing by the membership of these private Facebook groups finds out you outed them. Is bringing their behavior to light worth the potential to be blacklisted? If you have a fallback line of work and this issue really gets at you that much, maybe you should go for it. If you are willing to pay the price for whistleblowing them, do it. If you're not willing to pay a serious price but you think you can do it without getting found out, you'd better think twice.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
12316Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll