d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > Movie Club 2: Tombstone (1993) > February 11 - 17
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Feb 13 2018 07:16am
Another solid pick. Easily the best acting of Val Kilmer's career, IMO. Also a movie I could quote the shit out of.

Powers Boothe was very good, as well (may he RIP)
Gold: 92.71
Warn: 50%
Feb 13 2018 10:13am
New version 3:10 to Yuma >
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Feb 13 2018 11:37am
Quote (WhoBut_WBMason @ Feb 13 2018 08:13am)
New version 3:10 to Yuma >

You really think so? That movie bored me. It wasn't a bad movie, had good acting and everything, but I didn't think it was that great. Obviously some things are embellished with this movie, but Tombstone is mostly a true story as well. If you check out wiki, or plenty of other sources, it reads sooo fucking close to the movie, they did a good job with it. The big difference being the Johnny Ringo battle. No one knows how he died, but it's been speculated that Earp killed him, Doc killed him, random bandits killed him, and that he killed himself. No one is really sure.

I thought Curley Bill was a great bad guy, and the wedding at the beginning set a nice pace for the movie. Earp's first wife was a prostitute who did become addicted to opium (laudanum first). They didn't cover it in the movie, but she divorced him and then went back to being a prostitute and died of an overdose. Josephine really did visit with a theater troupe to tombstone where Earp and Behan were both into her (they were both in their 30s and she was like 18 I think). The horseback ride with her is speculation, but loads of people seem to think something was going on between the two, or if not something physical, people at least knew Earp was infatuated with her.

While the story would have been better without it, it was part of Earp's life and as that being the case, they had to put it in. Maybe it's nostalgia for me, but I fucking love this movie. This and Salton Sea are a tossup for me on Kilmer's best role, they're both just so fucking good. I like westerns, and then the historical accuracy, phenomenal performances and beautiful sets made for one of my all-time favorite westerns.
Gold: 47,773.20
Feb 13 2018 01:28pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Feb 13 2018 12:37pm)
You really think so? That movie bored me. It wasn't a bad movie, had good acting and everything, but I didn't think it was that great. Obviously some things are embellished with this movie, but Tombstone is mostly a true story as well. If you check out wiki, or plenty of other sources, it reads sooo fucking close to the movie, they did a good job with it. The big difference being the Johnny Ringo battle. No one knows how he died, but it's been speculated that Earp killed him, Doc killed him, random bandits killed him, and that he killed himself. No one is really sure.

I thought Curley Bill was a great bad guy, and the wedding at the beginning set a nice pace for the movie. Earp's first wife was a prostitute who did become addicted to opium (laudanum first). They didn't cover it in the movie, but she divorced him and then went back to being a prostitute and died of an overdose. Josephine really did visit with a theater troupe to tombstone where Earp and Behan were both into her (they were both in their 30s and she was like 18 I think). The horseback ride with her is speculation, but loads of people seem to think something was going on between the two, or if not something physical, people at least knew Earp was infatuated with her.

While the story would have been better without it, it was part of Earp's life and as that being the case, they had to put it in. Maybe it's nostalgia for me, but I fucking love this movie. This and Salton Sea are a tossup for me on Kilmer's best role, they're both just so fucking good. I like westerns, and then the historical accuracy, phenomenal performances and beautiful sets made for one of my all-time favorite westerns.

Have you watched Godless?

I really liked that series
Feb 13 2018 01:29pm
Quote (Annor @ Feb 13 2018 11:28am)
Have you watched Godless?

I really liked that series

I have not.

Haven't watched many western series. Deadwood was the only western show I got into, and it kinda killed all other shows for me lol. I'll check this one out though,
Gold: 47,773.20
Feb 13 2018 02:51pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Feb 13 2018 02:29pm)
I have not.

Haven't watched many western series. Deadwood was the only western show I got into, and it kinda killed all other shows for me lol. I'll check this one out though,

Yeah I tried watching Deadwood too, after everything I heard about how good it was. But I couldn't get into it at all

Godless is extremely wonderful
I hope you check it out!!
Feb 13 2018 02:54pm
Quote (Annor @ Feb 13 2018 12:51pm)
Yeah I tried watching Deadwood too, after everything I heard about how good it was. But I couldn't get into it at all

Godless is extremely wonderful
I hope you check it out!!

I've actually got a few hours free now, I'll try watching an episode or two now.
Gold: 39,837.69
Feb 13 2018 07:58pm
Just started this. First time ever watching it. I hope it’s good.

Not a huge fan of westerns
Gold: 39,837.69
Feb 14 2018 09:52am
Really enjoyed this. Great pick for week 2!! So many quotables lmao

Really just a total shoot em up flick done in the early 90s in a western setting.

Couldn’t imagine having to live during that time with basically no rules.

But drinking, smoking, gambling, fucking, shooting.... right up my alley for a lifestyle
Gold: 92.71
Warn: 50%
Feb 14 2018 10:04am
Quote (EmericAn @ Feb 14 2018 10:52am)
Couldn’t imagine having to live during that time with basically no rules.

But drinking, smoking, gambling, fucking, shooting.... right up my alley for a lifestyle

Gays were frowned upon so... not really
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll