d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Uber Vs Self Driving Cars
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2.70
Feb 3 2018 01:18pm
they need to create teleporters....

problem solved
Gold: 32,161.71
Feb 4 2018 01:48pm
although I love cars and if the premise came to be reality I would still personally drive ‘some of the time’ one cannot deny the increased efficiency when an hour is saved every work day

Who wants to uber all the time and have to deal with the obligatory social interactions, sometimes after a long day that solitary drive home is therapeutic

This post was edited by Bazi on Feb 4 2018 01:49pm
Gold: 4,400.67
Feb 4 2018 01:58pm
Quote (Bazi @ 4 Feb 2018 20:48)
although I love cars and if the premise came to be reality I would still personally drive ‘some of the time’ one cannot deny the increased efficiency when an hour is saved every work day

Who wants to uber all the time and have to deal with the obligatory social interactions, sometimes after a long day that solitary drive home is therapeutic

exactly. I mean.... Im a guy who's spending at least 1 hour each day reading the newspaper/media websites/d2jsp anyway. I could easily do that on the drive home, so that I would have 1 more hour for other stuff when I come home.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Feb 4 2018 01:58pm
Gold: 1.00
Feb 4 2018 02:47pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Feb 4 2018 03:58pm)
exactly. I mean.... Im a guy who's spending at least 1 hour each day reading the newspaper/media websites/d2jsp anyway. I could easily do that on the drive home, so that I would have 1 more hour for other stuff when I come home.

Also if you could use it as basically an office for the first hour of your day and cut down on your actual work day its not lost time anymore. I know I spend 30-45 minutes addressing client emails and managing staff via email in the morning almost every morning. Commuting other than the $ due to maintenance on the vehicle and fuel / electric to run the car it sounds fantastic.

I would still have my motorcycle though for when I feel like driving. I wonder how 100% self driving vehicles would interact with that though. I would never give up the motorcycle or the freedom I feel on that cutting through corners or flying down an open road.

This post was edited by SBD on Feb 4 2018 02:49pm
Gold: 63,142.89
Feb 4 2018 02:48pm
A network of self-driven cars would be a great future. There will be some bumps along the way (deaths due to malfunctions, accidents, controversies, corruption) and the government will have to learn how to regulate the new industry as it grows. But we should not let that dissuade us from working towards a great goal.

Some perspective: If you went back a few hundreds years and proposed the current automobile system to people, they would think it ludicrous. We let our teenagers drive 2,000 pound machines 60 mph down a road. The only thing separating them from other people driving the opposite direction is a line of paint on the road. Accidents are one of the leading causes of death in the country.

But people today seem to think that the benefits of having cars are worth it. Once we get the self-driving system worked out, it will be a no-brainer to people in 2150.
Gold: 1.00
Feb 4 2018 02:51pm
Quote (Kayeto @ Feb 4 2018 04:48pm)
A network of self-driven cars would be a great future. There will be some bumps along the way (deaths due to malfunctions, accidents, controversies, corruption) and the government will have to learn how to regulate the new industry as it grows. But we should not let that dissuade us from working towards a great goal.

Some perspective: If you went back a few hundreds years and proposed the current automobile system to people, they would think it ludicrous. We let our teenagers drive 2,000 pound machines 60 mph down a road. The only thing separating them from other people driving the opposite direction is a line of paint on the road. Accidents are one of the leading causes of death in the country.

But people today seem to think that the benefits of having cars are worth it. Once we get the self-driving system worked out, it will be a no-brainer to people in 2150.

What do you think about enthusiast though, is it an all or nothing deal, fully automated , no more motorcycles or manually operated vehicles on the road?
Gold: Locked
Feb 4 2018 03:00pm
Quote (SBD @ Feb 4 2018 01:51pm)
What do you think about enthusiast though, is it an all or nothing deal, fully automated , no more motorcycles or manually operated vehicles on the road?

It will take SEVERAL generations of automated cars being the norm before that even becomes a consideration. Even then, a lot of concern with regards to individual privacy and known GPS locations.
Gold: 4,400.67
Feb 4 2018 03:14pm
Quote (BardOfXiix @ 4 Feb 2018 22:00)
It will take SEVERAL generations of automated cars being the norm before that even becomes a consideration. Even then, a lot of concern with regards to individual privacy and known GPS locations.

LOL!
Thinking there will be ANY privacy left, how cute.
Gold: 63,142.89
Feb 4 2018 04:04pm
Quote (SBD @ Feb 4 2018 04:51pm)

Eventually...

We replace roads with tracks. The vehicles that move along them will be controlled and owned only the corporations. Similar system to when trains were the big thing. No more OJ Bronco chases. Cops want something, they just call up the corporation and tell them to reroute a specific vehicle. Speeding tickets and drunk driving will no longer be part of the society.

People driving automobiles will be purely recreational. Similar idea to how boats used to be a big form of transportation (personal and industrial), but now reduced mainly to recreational uses.

This post was edited by Kayeto on Feb 4 2018 04:07pm
Gold: 49,142.00
Feb 4 2018 04:54pm
Quote (ampoo @ Feb 2 2018 08:15am)
zero fucks given, i will always drive my car myself

Just wait till they make it more expensive insurance wise to drive it yourself rather than letting the statistically safer computer drive for you. "Zero fucks given", more like zero thought given lmao

This post was edited by ssdrmstre on Feb 4 2018 04:54pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll