d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > How To Troubleshoot If Sli Or Gpu?
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Jan 20 2018 01:48am
Have 2x nvidia GTX cards in SLI. Everything up to date and has always been fine with absolutely minimal errors for years.
Computer is thoroughly cleaned out regularly and I rarely ever had any problems with anything, including GPU.
Did not recently update or change any settings in bios or windows so most likely not related to that.

Every few months I would switch which GPU I had my display plugged into so no burnout and shared workload.
Recently, the 2nd GPU was having some driver crash issues when in SLI and being main card.
No blue screens or anything, just the driver would crash and reset after a few seconds of black screen.
Plugged monitor into 1st GPU and now no more driver issues since then, but SLI no longer registers on Nvidia control panel and the 2nd GPU is not being used at all even if I allocate things to it.
1st GPU is definitely fine 100% by itself with any applications. 2nd GPU fine except driver crash with gaming or being woken from sleep sometimes, but could be related to an SLI problem here.

How to determine whether problem with SLI bridge or 2nd GPU?
I normally would just mess around with it myself, but I cannot go without a computer while waiting for parts, so want some input before I screw something up.

Thanks in advance B)

This post was edited by Whiskers on Jan 20 2018 01:51am
Gold: 90.58
Jan 20 2018 01:48am
repent
Jan 20 2018 01:49am
Quote (JohnMiller92 @ Jan 20 2018 02:48am)
repent

:hail:
Gold: 84.10
Jan 20 2018 02:03am
Which gpus
Jan 20 2018 10:38am
Take out GPU1, Put GPU2 in GPU1 slot, Does it work? If yes, Its the slot or bridge. If no, It's the GPU.
Jan 20 2018 11:10am
Quote (Rikuo @ Jan 20 2018 11:38am)
Take out GPU1, Put GPU2 in GPU1 slot, Does it work? If yes, Its the slot or bridge. If no, It's the GPU.

so many unspoken variables I couldnt say anything
I know with my 3 670s 1 of them couldnt be the main displaying card on anything 2/3 way always had to like the slave card like you are saying
I have fixed issues of using certain software(think it was overwolf) that conflicted with drivers on 2way
I have seen people update drivers over drivers over drivers and nothing happen for long time but had issues later when they started playing a newer game and ddu driver install fixed lol
oh and driver crashing issue which was fixed with some stupid registry tweaks
he hasnt been back to start letting us try to fix
Jan 20 2018 12:50pm
Quote (yupitsmeh @ Jan 20 2018 12:10pm)
so many unspoken variables I couldnt say anything
I know with my 3 670s 1 of them couldnt be the main displaying card on anything 2/3 way always had to like the slave card like you are saying
I have fixed issues of using certain software(think it was overwolf) that conflicted with drivers on 2way
I have seen people update drivers over drivers over drivers and nothing happen for long time but had issues later when they started playing a newer game and ddu driver install fixed lol
oh and driver crashing issue which was fixed with some stupid registry tweaks
he hasnt been back to start letting us try to fix

These are the exact cards in SLI - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130687
I'd say they're each equivalent or better than a standard 760 card so I have no trouble usually just running with one for now, but I'd really like to be back in SLI.

I agree. I think it is a problem with the main card / slave card SLI thing. Everything is fine except in certain circumstances, but then the driver crashes/resets.
This happened like 2-3 months ago and I've searched all over google/help sites, but it's so hard to find my exact problem among all the garbage posts.

Both cards run fine on idle with no software running and haven't seen any correlation between specific application and crash other than waking from sleep.
Jan 20 2018 03:01pm
What is your Psu?
what are temps when they crash? use gpuz and watch or log if you can your cards are old so you might have lost stability on voltages too so you might have to downclock
have you tried newer drivers? use ddu to uninstall older drivers first in safe mode
have you changed your power plan to high performance in power options in windows and also in nvidia control panel? in windows go to advanced and click on pci express link state to off

Jan 20 2018 03:41pm
Quote (yupitsmeh @ Jan 20 2018 04:01pm)
What is your Psu?
what are temps when they crash? use gpuz and watch or log if you can your cards are old so you might have lost stability on voltages too so you might have to downclock
have you tried newer drivers? use ddu to uninstall older drivers first in safe mode
have you changed your power plan to high performance in power options in windows and also in nvidia control panel? in windows go to advanced and click on pci express link state to off

i7 2600K which is also overclocked. I replaced water cooling and put fresh thermal paste on it last year.
The crash happens on waking from sleep so I don't think it has to do with heavy load or temp, also from alt-tab sometimes.
Temps are fine on idle as well. I also test with 100% load and no crash, but I don't keep this on to max out temp because that's no good for an old card lol.
GPU 1 is entirely fine and both have same drivers. I have done clean driver install already so I don't think it has to do with them.
Power plan has always been high performance and that PCI express state is already off.
I just want to see if I can find the problem without moving parts around and causing more problems. :cry:
Thank you for the help with this.
Jan 20 2018 04:02pm
Quote (Whiskers @ Jan 20 2018 04:41pm)
i7 2600K which is also overclocked. I replaced water cooling and put fresh thermal paste on it last year.
The crash happens on waking from sleep so I don't think it has to do with heavy load or temp, also from alt-tab sometimes.
Temps are fine on idle as well. I also test with 100% load and no crash, but I don't keep this on to max out temp because that's no good for an old card lol.
GPU 1 is entirely fine and both have same drivers. I have done clean driver install already so I don't think it has to do with them.
Power plan has always been high performance and that PCI express state is already off.
I just want to see if I can find the problem without moving parts around and causing more problems. :cry:
Thank you for the help with this.

did you use ddu? in safemode? https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

also sleep has always had issues forever

I use screensaver now instead of sleep or just turn off my pc

This post was edited by yupitsmeh on Jan 20 2018 04:02pm
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll