d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Government Shutdown Party Thread
Prev1234521Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 22,189.49
Jan 20 2018 07:03am
Donald Trump in 2013:
"Well, if you say who gets fired it always has to be the top, I mean, problems start from the top and they have to get solved from the top and the president’s the leader. And he’s got to get everybody in a room and he’s got to lead.When they talk about the government shutdown, they’re going to be talking about the president of the United States, who the president was at that time. They’re not going to be talking about who was the head of the House, the head the Senate, who’s running things in Washington"

Chuck Schumer in 2013:
Gold: 17,384.69
Jan 20 2018 07:19am
Quote (Scaly @ 20 Jan 2018 11:29)
During the 2013 shutdown the govt lost around $2b in productivity and the economy was significantly affected.

The longer it goes on the worse things get. Eventually American economy collapses. Ofc that's extremely unlikely just taking it to the extreme of what would happen if they stayed shutdown.

Ah yep i remember the 2013 one, but i didnt expected that would lead to a collapse; very nice, thanks ! :)
Gold: 0.00
Jan 20 2018 07:33am
Quote (Saucisson6000 @ 20 Jan 2018 13:19)
Ah yep i remember the 2013 one, but i didnt expected that would lead to a collapse; very nice, thanks ! :)

It never would to be honest. The govt would have to be shut down for months on end for it to have that much effect.
Gold: 2,617.52
Jan 20 2018 07:37am
Limp half assed temp fix.

Gov shutdown also isnt bad. Obama shut down parks on purpose to pretend that it was bad.

Quote (Goomshill @ Jan 20 2018 09:03am)
Donald Trump in 2013:
"Well, if you say who gets fired it always has to be the top, I mean, problems start from the top and they have to get solved from the top and the president’s the leader. And he’s got to get everybody in a room and he’s got to lead.When they talk about the government shutdown, they’re going to be talking about the president of the United States, who the president was at that time. They’re not going to be talking about who was the head of the House, the head the Senate, who’s running things in Washington"

Chuck Schumer in 2013:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9bCQquYrls

Good ol cryin chuck
:banana:

This post was edited by EndlessSky on Jan 20 2018 07:38am
Gold: 2,407.00
Jan 20 2018 07:46am
Mitch McConnell is a joke.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Jan 20 2018 08:19am
it's really a bad joke that republicans are crying crocodile tears over CHIP and DACA, claiming democrats don't care about children and dreamers, when in reality both could EASILY be resolved with overwhelming majorities in clean solutions. same with the obstruction narrative, the hypocrisy is reaching 'unpresidented' levels...
Gold: 22,189.49
Jan 20 2018 08:24am
Quote (fender @ Jan 20 2018 08:19am)
it's really a bad joke that republicans are crying crocodile tears over CHIP and DACA, claiming democrats don't care about children and dreamers, when in reality both could EASILY be resolved with overwhelming majorities in clean solutions. same with the obstruction narrative, the hypocrisy is reaching 'unpresidented' levels...

so give the democrats everything they want and the republicans get nothing in return? sounds like good negotiating
CHIP and DACA don't have a majority support in the republican party if they aren't tied to immigration reform. And none of the democrats demands are directly related to the budget measure. It is the democrats holding the government hostage to get those programs, just like how the republicans held the government hostage in 2013, though at least then they could claim fiscal responsibility was a directly related issue.

Being reasonable, the democrats are about 80% responsible for the shutdown, the republicans about 20%, but as someone more eloquent than me put it- if you have to explain, you're losing. And I doubt the reality will be reflected in the perceptions. As long as the democrats point to the republicans as being perceived as the anti-government party who is in 'control' of the government, there's a good chance Trump will take the lions share of the blame. But then it becomes a question of how the shutdown will be resolved, and that favors the republicans.
Gold: 119,903.34
Jan 20 2018 08:27am
Quote (Goomshill @ Jan 20 2018 09:24am)
so give the democrats everything they want and the republicans get nothing in return? sounds like good negotiating
CHIP and DACA don't have a majority support in the republican party if they aren't tied to immigration reform. And none of the democrats demands are directly related to the budget measure. It is the democrats holding the government hostage to get those programs, just like how the republicans held the government hostage in 2013, though at least then they could claim fiscal responsibility was a directly related issue.

Being reasonable, the democrats are about 80% responsible for the shutdown, the republicans about 20%, but as someone more eloquent than me put it- if you have to explain, you're losing. And I doubt the reality will be reflected in the perceptions. As long as the democrats point to the republicans as being perceived as the anti-government party who is in 'control' of the government, there's a good chance Trump will take the lions share of the blame. But then it becomes a question of how the shutdown will be resolved, and that favors the republicans.

Yeah it's definitely the democrats fault when they have no majority in any branch of government.

Maybe the representatives of ours could be motivated to actually do their job if they would stop being paid if the government shuts down.
Gold: 10.77
Jan 20 2018 08:29am
Mitch is so weak and option 1 is the only thing he can pull off.
Gold: 5,169.82
Jan 20 2018 08:33am
Quote (Goomshill @ Jan 20 2018 04:24pm)

The current offer is: give the Republicans all they want, and give the Democrats nothing. That is the result of bad negotiating.

Indeed, the step forward is to give Democrats something extra and to give Republicans nothing (or less) extra. As long as this does not happen, it is not a compromise and it should not pass the vote.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234521Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll