d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > 7 Years For Murder
Prev191011
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 285.00
Jan 19 2018 07:28pm
Quote (WeAwait @ Jan 19 2018 08:23pm)
At 7 it's retireable. Kill 20 people for $100k a pop, get caught for one, invest the money and wait 5 years (talk to your damn investment advisor on the prison phone), and leave with $3.2 million (7 yrs @ 7% interest).

100k a pop? Lol. Go right ahead. Post an ad in Soldier of Fortune, have gun will travel.

Quote (Kiseki @ Jan 19 2018 06:56pm)
i know you post really biased things but i dont think 7 years for killing accidental or not is okay

Not ok. A slap on the list would be probation or under a year to prevent it from being a felony.

We have people on Congress who have killed people.

This post was edited by Skinned on Jan 19 2018 07:29pm
Gold: 42.00
Jan 19 2018 09:28pm
Quote (Skinned @ Jan 19 2018 08:28pm)
100k a pop? Lol. Go right ahead. Post an ad in Soldier of Fortune, have gun will travel.

Not ok. A slap on the list would be probation or under a year to prevent it from being a felony.

We have people on Congress who have killed people.

if you kill someone, you should either be killed or jailed for a long ass time if it was accidental(drunk driving doesn't count as accidental)
Gold: 1.93
Jan 19 2018 10:20pm
Yes, and that's why the judge agreed to a seven-year sentence when she pleaded guilty to manslaughter (rather than the second-degree murder she was originally charged with).

No trial, took a plea, hence the light sentence.
Gold: 90.58
Jan 19 2018 10:37pm
Quote (Plaguefear @ Jan 19 2018 08:20pm)
Yes, and that's why the judge agreed to a seven-year sentence when she pleaded guilty to manslaughter (rather than the second-degree murder she was originally charged with).

No trial, took a plea, hence the light sentence.

Just to add, even though a trial didn't take place, it could have been as little as 10.

This post was edited by JohnMiller92 on Jan 19 2018 10:39pm
Jan 20 2018 10:40am
Quote (duffman316 @ Jan 19 2018 06:36pm)
probably on the side where you have a right to self defense when someone attacks you

Black teenagers get no right to self defense apparently.

They should be okay with having some creep stalk and chase them when neighborhood watch guys get into a fight with their wives and need to get out some steam.

If you arw going to be a vigilante and right crime, don't get your ass whipped by the 130 lb 5'5" teenage kid you are stalking.

The best is how white America projectes their racial fears on TM then pretended it was about the 2nd amendment. They probably believe it at This point.
Gold: 745.69
Jan 20 2018 03:16pm
Quote (Skinned @ Jan 19 2018 05:42pm)
But your belief in this is ideological. And I disagree with you cuz a lot of data supports my argument as well. Regardless I don't think it is clear cut and I don't think it is clear caught that man go to prison longer than women for all the reasons that are being listed which are complex and social.

You don't want to admit you grossly overreacted to a joke making fun of you Indirectly.

I wasn't making fun of men for going to prison for longer I'm making fun of the epistemology of stupid people.

I don't think I can spell out anymore. Again if you remain outraged it is just because you decide to remain outraged and it's just something you want to do not anything that I've done to cause this in you.

Next time the African American man has his human rights violated by being murdered by a cop without a trial or conviction I expect you to be in here guns blazing. Makes me wonder why you were during the Trayvon Martin thing.

It really boils down to this - I don't think it's amusing to make fun of people suffering human rights violations for political gain. I know you absolutely wouldn't accept it from other people if it was an issue you gave a shit about and in turn no one should accept that from you.

Quote (duffman316 @ Jan 19 2018 06:36pm)
probably on the side where you have a right to self defense when someone attacks you

And not that it's relevant, but pretty much this. And as far as police brutality goes, I think it's a huge fucking problem for everyone, especially those in the lower economic class who can't afford justice. Skin color is not a relevant factor in either direction.
Jan 20 2018 04:50pm
Quote (Magicman657 @ Jan 20 2018 04:16pm)
It really boils down to this - I don't think it's amusing to make fun of people suffering human rights violations for political gain. I know you absolutely wouldn't accept it from other people if it was an issue you gave a shit about and in turn no one should accept that from you.

And not that it's relevant, but pretty much this. And as far as police brutality goes, I think it's a huge fucking problem for everyone, especially those in the lower economic class who can't afford justice. Skin color is not a relevant factor in either direction.

Okay. I expect you to persecute everybody else that jokes about any police shooting, school shooting, terrorist attack, drone bombing, poor sentencing, structural discrimination, etc, as much as you singled out me for one poor joke making fun of the epistemology of the alt-right.
Gold: 745.69
Jan 20 2018 04:51pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Jan 19 2018 02:45pm)
its not an easy field to study in a black-white fashion. its hard to quantify a lot of the items so perhaps some of those studies tried and undervalued them, or they didnt try at all in search of an end result. its very common in criminology studies to do both.

some examples, how does a researcher quantify the flight risk factors for children? their age? their number? the presence or lacktherof a significant other? the presence or lacktherof a alternate parents?

then add in tertiary factors in such as employment level, employment duration, salary, home ownership, etc. some of the factors are additionally controlled by other factors, how the methodology deals with this can spell out massively different end results.

if you find any studies post them, i'll read them for sure. it used to be my bread and butter

I just wanted to update this, I spent some time reading through Starr's research paper on this, and a lot of the things you're talking about are actually referenced and even tested in the data. I'll share some notes I made while reading through on differences between this study and others as well as some interesting conclusions. I think you should actually read it for yourself, as it's actually pretty interesting and covers a lot of potential theories.

https://poseidon01.ssrn.com/delivery.php?ID=718089001090031000083009087101103014099041034067091025005102125018117010106092066081011061119126051016016071023114114075084002010025086075035126003114096104113005095055063106066121016065119103119084077120098068086103097024022000127124001090103104031&EXT=pdf

* A large part of the reason for the gap in sentencing is due to prosecutors overcharging men in the first place, which is something a lot of studies done on the sentencing gap overlook.

* This study treats non-prison sentences (eg, fines / community service) as effectively 0 years sentenced. Other studies often attempt to calculate an equivalent sentencing time, but obviously it's completely arbitrary as to the conversion ratios used.

* It includes a ton of data and encompasses a bunch of the factors like the ones you were referencing.

The data include rich offense and offender information, including arrest offense
(which USMS identifies with 430 codes),
3 gender, race, age, marital status, district,
citizenship, a string field describing the offense, criminal history, number of dependents,
education, Hispanic ethnicity, counsel type, co-defendant information, and county. AOUSC
also lists the initial and final charges ; these statutory sections then had to be coded on a
numeric charge severity scale. I constructed three such scales based on combined severity of
all charges: the statutory maximum, the statutory minimum, and a Guidelines-based measure.
If the statute prescribed varying sentences depending on case facts, I used default
assumptions grounded in legal research. For further details, see the Data Appendix.

* Parental responsibility is probably somewhat responsible for the gap, but even considering this, there is a huge gap left. Interestingly, it also suggests that women are being handed an advantage in this area mostly invisible ways rather than through the formal legal mechanism for this, which is probably a separate issue that should be looked at.

The childcare theory suggests that one would expect to see the largest gender
disparities among single parents, and the smallest among defendants with no children. That
expectation is borne out by the data: compare Table 5, Columns 6-8. The TUT estimate is
still over 50% among childless defendants, however, so the childcare theory appears not to
fully explain the gender gap, but it probably explains part of it.28

* While premeditation isn't explicitly referenced, the idea that some such factor that biases sentences to be harsher against men is considered and was found to be an unlikely explanation:

One obvious question is whether the crimes differ in ways not captured by the arrest
offense codes. The arrest offense is not a perfect proxy for underlying criminal conduct, and
if it overstates the severity of female conduct relative to that of men, that might explain some
of the observed disparity. In particular, one might wonder whether the disparities introduced
at sentencing fact-finding merely represent the process’s proper accounting for nuance
differences in facts within offense categories, which is, after all, fact-finding’s purpose.

Unobserved differences naturally cannot be ruled out, but there are good reasons to
doubt that they explain much of the observed disparity. First, the observable covariates are
detailed, capturing considerable nuance. They include not just the 430 arrest codes and the
multi-defendant flag (a proxy for group criminality, an important severity criterion), but also
additional flags based on the written offense description (see Table 4, Rows 15-16). Second,
the disparities are similar across all case types (and across arresting agencies), suggesting it is
not a matter of a few crimes being “worse” when men commit them. Such differences would
have to be prevalent across a variety of crimes and agencies to explain the result.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev191011
Add Reply New Topic New Poll