d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT >
Poll > Windows Or Mac
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 30%
Jan 16 2018 06:18pm
May be worth checking with your school. See what programs you will be using(if any).
It is pretty likely that they will all run in windows, but every once in a while there is a program that wont run in MacOS(You can run windows on a mac, but it isn't a wonderful experience, my macbook air boots directly to windows every time and i pray i never have to boot back into macOS.
Example: I work in the IT department at a college. Our school provides the microsoft office suite to all students. If you install the office suite on a windows computer you will be able to use Microsoft Access. If you install on a MacOS computer, you do not get Microsoft access.

Another thing to consider, if you don't happen to be a higher level computer user who can handle learning curves, is the people you know. If you know or are around a lot of people that are highly experienced Mac users, it may be worth considering a Mac in the absence of people who are experienced windows users.
I wouldn't say that this is a great way to completely base a decision off of, but factoring in the people you can bounce questions off of is a good thing to do.

From a value standpoint, and my personal opinion on which OS is more useful/usable when specific programs are not required, I would always recommend Windows.
Gold: 7,006.50
Jan 16 2018 07:06pm
If your not doing stuff in art, music, video editing get a windows, if ur doing art,music, video editing get Mac.

If ur really stupid and not get some kinda of free anti virus and ur windows gets hacked/malware alot get windows. If your semi smart and get some kinda of anti virus go windows.

I saw the new thin books or w/e with ryzen and Vega looked really nice.
Gold: 87.00
Jan 16 2018 11:22pm
Quote (DCSS @ 16 Jan 2018 09:05)
Macs are the best. They are the #1 brand in computing for a reason. True professionals and artists that need high performance and feature rich environments for content creation and productivity will certainly be better off with a mac for basically any use case that isn't gaming. Apple is also far more committed to quality control than any other laptop/workstation vendor. You can be sure you're getting a product that will last a very long time when you buy a mac, with reliable support to boot. I recommend Apple computers over Windows any day for all these purposes. It's on an entirely different level. Take the same cpu on a mac and run superpi, you will find that the mac is also always 20-30% faster to calculate, this is because OSX has very little overhead; it is a GNU/Linux based operating system that has been streamlined to have the perfect balance of dependability and flexibility that you need; less millions of cycles per second wasted on 1000's of bullshit services and telemetry/backdoors like Windows has, more performance for you., keep that in mind: with the same hardware, a mac is always going to finish first.

Fan boy spotted. Mac used to have good quality control but things changed like 3 years ago and they started to use cheaper parts to make more profit and since then their quality have been on coin flip. Also some things are really limited on mac and you are forced to install virtual box with either windows or linux on it to do certain things. Mac used to have best programs for visual work but other vendors have catched up in past years.

If you want status symbol and pay more than you should, get mac. If you want good quality for your money get professional level windows work laptop from Lenovo or Fujitsu for example.
Gold: 0.00
Jan 16 2018 11:35pm
I use a $300 laptop with linux on it for all my schoolwork; not sure why people use anything different. Running mint is significantly faster than win 10 on my laptop, and can do all the same stuff. Only way I could justify anything more is if I wanted to be able to use it for Autodesk programs.
Gold: 570.00
Jan 20 2018 02:09am
Thanks for opinions, it does help to take a decision. One last thing that is bothering me is I heard Macs last longer. My gf has had her Mac for 5 years now and it's still up and running very well, speed is good etc. Would a microsoft last as long whilst keeping a decent speed throughout the years?

Also, if I were to choose a Microsoft, any specific model recommendations?

Thanks again!
Gold: 87.00
Jan 20 2018 07:34am
Quote (Bourse @ 20 Jan 2018 10:09)
Thanks for opinions, it does help to take a decision. One last thing that is bothering me is I heard Macs last longer. My gf has had her Mac for 5 years now and it's still up and running very well, speed is good etc. Would a microsoft last as long whilst keeping a decent speed throughout the years?

Thanks again!

Mac's lasting long was Mac's build prior 2015, new Mac's are different story like I said earlier. Well build windows laptops can easily last for 5 years if you are getting some better model. Model really depends on your budget and needs. If you want long lasting laptop get some Business level laptop and you are good. Lenovo and Fujitsu have been solid in my experience but there are many other manufacturers as well like Dell..
Gold: 3,351.37
Jan 20 2018 09:22am
Quote (Bourse @ Jan 20 2018 01:09am)

Thanks again!

All my Macs are dinosaurs and are in amazing shape. I do not own anything up-to-date however, my CMP is by far the best PC/Mac that I own despite being 12 years old.

Mobility wise my 1st Gen Macbook pro looks mint and runs fair on Windows and OSX.
Gold: 1,495.80
Jan 20 2018 10:06am
anything with good specs in ur budget
and install linux on it
Gold: Locked
Warn: 60%
Jan 20 2018 05:41pm
Quote (vittujenkevat @ Jan 17 2018 01:22am)
Fan boy spotted. Mac used to have good quality control but things changed like 3 years ago and they started to use cheaper parts to make more profit and since then their quality have been on coin flip. Also some things are really limited on mac and you are forced to install virtual box with either windows or linux on it to do certain things. Mac used to have best programs for visual work but other vendors have catched up in past years.

If you want status symbol and pay more than you should, get mac. If you want good quality for your money get professional level windows work laptop from Lenovo or Fujitsu for example.

poor person spotted
Gold: 0.00
Jan 20 2018 05:48pm
Quote (DCSS @ Jan 20 2018 05:41pm)
poor person spotted

If you spent any time in this sub, you'd know vittu isn't poor.
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll