d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Trump Says No To "s-hole" Countries > S-hole People Need Not Apply For Citizen
Prev1242526272834Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Jan 15 2018 12:24pm
Quote (balrog66 @ 15 Jan 2018 18:01)
This is as cheap as Trump's remark.

Not really. I mean - he has stats to back it up and a fair argument rather than an off the cuff shitty remark.
Even if it was though - he's not the president so his calling the US a shithole is pretty irrelevant in world politics.
Gold: 57.00
Jan 15 2018 12:35pm
looks like the resident kaiser schutzstaffel is at it again. have you all seen the gutter than fender aka heinrich von goebbels the hateful spawned from? now that’s a shithole! he tried to flee to America but his visa application was rejected on account of his history of rage and violent tendencies (also his lineage, most notably his ancestor Joseph didnt help either)
Jan 15 2018 12:39pm
There are enough countries where if you have money, you wont be subjected to shit-hole conditions (likely). This isnt news to anyone. not sure what people are outraged at exactly
Gold: 2,571.50
Jan 15 2018 12:47pm
Quote (Scaly @ Jan 15 2018 06:24pm)
Not really. I mean - he has stats to back it up and a fair argument rather than an off the cuff shitty remark.
Even if it was though - he's not the president so his calling the US a shithole is pretty irrelevant in world politics.

I mean, people like to compare the USA shortcomings with tiny Northern Europe countries. They fail to realize the that it is a lot more complex than a simple "percentage" comparisons. Regardless if they are comparing both on "per 100,000" scale.

The USA was a colony and had slaves and immigrants pumped and dumped into it for decades. This alone created a huge discrepancy in the population. Not to mention other factors like population size (300+ million), creates exponentially worse societal problems that tiny countries with low variety in ethnicity don't experience. These so called "slaves" went from slaves with nothing to free, but still had nothing in a short span of time. It can easily take multiple generations to fix the variety of problems this caused.

Do you think all those families would become wealthy and functioning members of society over night? Obviously not. But they do deserve a chance and the investment.

This post was edited by iBruno on Jan 15 2018 12:49pm
Warn: 20%
Jan 15 2018 01:03pm
Quote (iBruno @ 15 Jan 2018 19:47)
I mean, people like to compare the USA shortcomings with tiny Northern Europe countries. They fail to realize the that it is a lot more complex than a simple "percentage" comparisons. Regardless if they are comparing both on "per 100,000" scale.

The USA was a colony and had slaves and immigrants pumped and dumped into it for decades. This alone created a huge discrepancy in the population. Not to mention other factors like population size (300+ million), creates exponentially worse societal problems that tiny countries with low variety in ethnicity don't experience. These so called "slaves" went from slaves with nothing to free, but still had nothing in a short span of time. It can easily take multiple generations to fix the variety of problems this caused.

Do you think all those families would become wealthy and functioning members of society over night? Obviously not. But they do deserve a chance and the investment.

the comparison i provided includes all oecd members, not just "tiny northern european countries". take germany, japan, and the UK for example - they are by no means "tiny" and the comparison is very much valid. also, you might want to reflect on the fact that it was merely a reply, a reaction to people acting like the US were that great of a country and therefore the 'shithole' comments were justified / fine. just putting things into perspective...
Gold: 2,571.50
Jan 15 2018 01:10pm
Quote (fender @ Jan 15 2018 07:03pm)
the comparison i provided includes all oecd members, not just "tiny northern european countries". take germany, japan, and the UK for example - they are by no means "tiny" and the comparison is very much valid. also, you might want to reflect on the fact that it was merely a reply, a reaction to people acting like the US were that great of a country and therefore the 'shithole' comments were justified / fine. just putting things into perspective...

Oh what Trump said just can't be justified. Just a hilariously outrageous comment by someone who actually would be the #1 candidate to say such things. I mean, he is the definition of the "no-filter no fucks given" president.

UK has like less than 5x the USA pop, Japan is less than half, and cultural diversity plays a HUGEEEEEEEEEEE roll on what I was talking about. I don't think japan is very diverse when it comes to African and latino decedancy population numbers....

Germany pop is also fairly low in comparison. Also how many african slaves were dumped in Germany during it's colonial era? Wait i think they were never a real colony anyway?
Gold: 4,673.69
Jan 15 2018 01:11pm
Quote (JohnMiller92 @ 15 Jan 2018 12:36)
LOL nice

:lol: B)
Gold: 4,400.67
Jan 15 2018 03:17pm
Quote (balrog66 @ 15 Jan 2018 17:55)
A friend of mine visited Ethiopia and Somalia during the Christmas holidays, and he had a great time. The border guard into Somalia was hospitable, contrary to those in the USA. And that hospitality extended throughout the stay, even though the people are poorer. Using terms like shithole is incredibly ignorant.

ofc border guards in somalia are more friendly as long as they arent corrupt: they dont ever have to fear that someone wants to enter their country illegally and then stay there. no one with any other place to go would ever want to stay in somalia.

Quote (fender @ 15 Jan 2018 18:57)
in terms of poverty and income inequality, the US are a "shithole" - at least compared to other OECD countries (only mexico, chile, and turkey are worse): http://www.compareyourcountry.org/inequality?cr=oecd&lg=en&page=0&visited=1
ofc when it comes to those kinds of statistics (or deaths by violent crime for example), americans prefer to compare themselves to 3rd world countries in order to look better.

the truth, however, is that the reason norwegians for example have no desire to emigrate to the US is that norway is just a significantly better place to live - as are most western european countries...

the US have more poverty and inequality than most other oecd states, that's true. on the flip side, there is also huge wealth in the US which far exceeds that of most other oecd states. norway might be an exception because they got oil...

so, the looming question is: does inequality and the existence of poverty make a country a shithole if it is still quite wealthy on average?

what one also has to keep in mind: around one third of the US population consists of illegal immigrants. or legal immigrants who came to the country just a few decades ago and didnt have the time yet to build wealth, or the descendants of former slaves whose families were enslaved and later disenfranchised and discriminated for over one century. those are demographics whose history explains why they are poor on average and which are much more numerous in the US than in any other oecd country.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jan 15 2018 03:20pm
Warn: 20%
Jan 15 2018 03:21pm
Quote (iBruno @ 15 Jan 2018 20:10)
Oh what Trump said just can't be justified. Just a hilariously outrageous comment by someone who actually would be the #1 candidate to say such things. I mean, he is the definition of the "no-filter no fucks given" president.

UK has like less than 5x the USA pop, Japan is less than half, and cultural diversity plays a HUGEEEEEEEEEEE roll on what I was talking about. I don't think japan is very diverse when it comes to African and latino decedancy population numbers....

Germany pop is also fairly low in comparison. Also how many african slaves were dumped in Germany during it's colonial era? Wait i think they were never a real colony anyway?

really? cultural diversity and high population (you might want to check a population density map, america's is higher than norway's for example, but lower than japan's / germany's) are responsible for their poverty and inequality? i would argue that shitty policies / systems / approaches have a much bigger impact. you bring up slave trade, but there is a whole lot of history that happened between now and then - WW2 for example was much more recent and all the countries i mentioned were significantly more negatively affected by it than the USA, and still are more equal and less poor now.

no, cutthroat capitalism is the real culprit here. and don't get me wrong, it is perfectly fine if americans choose that way - or are stupid enough to elect leaders who will continue to tell them that not the corporations buying politicians to implement policies maximising their profits and thus actively contributing to inequality and poverty are responsible for their misery, but the evil black / latino person - but it's dishonest to act like it's some kind of paradise, talking shit about countries that are even poorer, and when called out for it and presented with the truth, pretend it's all the coloured ppl's fault and that you can't really compare it because america is so different...
Gold: 4,400.67
Jan 15 2018 03:29pm
Quote (fender @ 15 Jan 2018 22:21)
really? cultural diversity and high population (you might want to check a population density map, america's is higher than norway's for example, but lower than japan's / germany's) are responsible for their poverty and inequality? i would argue that shitty policies / systems / approaches have a much bigger impact. you bring up slave trade, but there is a whole lot of history that happened between now and then - WW2 for example was much more recent and all the countries i mentioned were significantly more negatively affected by it than the USA, and still are more equal and less poor now.

no, cutthroat capitalism is the real culprit here. and don't get me wrong, it is perfectly fine if americans choose that way - or are stupid enough to elect leaders who will continue to tell them that not the corporations buying politicians to implement policies maximising their profits and thus actively contributing to inequality and poverty are responsible for their misery, but the evil black / latino person - but it's dishonest to act like it's some kind of paradise, talking shit about countries that are even poorer, and when called out for it and presented with the truth, pretend it's all the coloured ppl's fault and that you can't really compare it because america is so different...

lol, everything he said is essentially true. just look at germany and the shock when the ECB published the fortune ranking for euro zone countries and germany was in the bottom of the list: we took in 16 million residents of former east germany whose infrastructure was in shambles and who came with close to no wealth of their own. we took in a large amount of labour immigrants who, on average, were sustaining themselves just fine but also didnt have the time to build wealth. is it really surprising that our average wealth suffered from this? no, of course not.

the "illegal immigrants and blacks are lowering the average wealth and increasing the inequality of americans"-argument is just as valid. even though it does, of course, not explain the whole picture. I actually agree with you that cutthroat capitalism is playing a large role in the inequality of the american society.

in the end, both factors play a significant role.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jan 15 2018 03:30pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1242526272834Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll