d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Creating Image Cataloguing Program > Which Language Should I Use?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 150.00
Dec 28 2017 09:11am
I am currently using an Excel workbook I have been working on with VBA I have learned along the way to catalogue the images for products on a web server.

It works by using a static formula + information in the Product ID field to create hyperlinks to each possible image that could exist. Then validates the web link, if it gives a 404 error then the link is deleted in Excel, etc. Lastly it will insert the images of the corresponding link in line with each Product ID in a neatly formatted and styled table.

My problem is now this is seeming to "outgrow" the constraints of Excel. I am looking into seeing if making this into it's own standalone program or something web-based would be considerably quicker and worthwhile.

I don't have any formal knowledge of coding languages, but am willing to learn. Any suggestions on which language would be most beneficial than relying on Excel would be greatly appreciated.

Looking for which languages would be better in terms of pulling web data, like images, and organizing then into table formatting with mouseover functionality as well as possibly zoom and PDF exporting.

This is a work project, for Windows based operating systems. I'm hopefully one of you JSP'ers can point me in the right direction. If you have a suggestion, tell me why so I can gauge my options.

This post was edited by Fire_Deviant on Dec 28 2017 09:20am
Gold: 2,407.00
Dec 28 2017 05:10pm
I'm a little bit confused as for the use case for this. It sounds like some kind of sql database is what you want to be using.
Gold: 150.00
Dec 29 2017 08:21am
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not exactly sure what I want or need to be making it in, to be honest.

I had thought about using a Google Sheets method and rewriting the Excel code to work in there but thought maybe there could be a different avenue.

Basically the information for each product is stored in a SQL database, but all the images are stored in a separate server and I want to create an interface which can do what I outlined above but at a rate quicker than Excel. Excel has found itself bottlenecked because I don't think it was built for the inserting of images en masse.

I don't have access to these SQL databases, I'm kinda trying to figure out this out without the help of the people qualified to do this sort of thing because it's a big corporation and they have other bigger responsibilities. I'm looking to create a tailored solution to some daily problems I encounter in my day to day activities.
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll