d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Okey Guys! Time To Change My Life > Web-design As A Pro?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,000.00
Trader: Trusted
Dec 25 2017 11:33am
Hello!

I've been working without gratitude, appreciation, good salery, good work-enviourement etcetra & etcetra again half my life... And I have worked much harder then the avrage Joe.
I am very tired of it, but luckily I have also been quite a computer-geek (as some would call it) since I was very young. I was arround at the good days, I was arround before it was main-stream to be a "nerd". Just like a lot of you guys :)

I have finally managed to pull myself together and actually started selling websites. At this moment, I have had two customers who are satisfied with my services.

My business idea is to be a web-designer that does not "rip-off" the customer. I want to be the person that start-ups and the friends of start-ups love to know.

- Why would I pick start ups?

- Because they have a low budget, and would appreciate my low-budget websites (that looks like high-budget for the untrained eye)!

As web-design is much easier today then it used to be, I see the potentional and I see that I have a chance in this niece. And as I have by far over a thousand geek-friends/contacts, I really don't need any marketing, I only need knowledge.

My question is... How long does it take to get a sufficient knowledge to actually dare start advertising myself as a web-designer, and where should I start, what should I read?

I'll remain on a wordpress level by the way, that seems to be plenty theese days. - And of course, regular ftp mysql ssh optimization cache htaccess etc I got knowledge about, SEO too.

I am sorry for the long introduction, but a bit of background-story might be helpfull for the ones who can advice me to decide if I am worth their time or not :)
Gold: 0.00
Dec 25 2017 11:58am
IMO the thing that makes a clean business and professional website is good CSS skills and JScript's. But I haven't messed with web development is a long time. But GL and merry christmas!
Gold: 37.00
Dec 25 2017 12:19pm
Quote (ium @ Dec 25 2017 12:33pm)
Hello!

I've been working without gratitude, appreciation, good salery, good work-enviourement etcetra & etcetra again half my life... And I have worked much harder then the avrage Joe.
I am very tired of it, but luckily I have also been quite a computer-geek (as some would call it) since I was very young. I was arround at the good days, I was arround before it was main-stream to be a "nerd". Just like a lot of you guys :)

I have finally managed to pull myself together and actually started selling websites. At this moment, I have had two customers who are satisfied with my services.

My business idea is to be a web-designer that does not "rip-off" the customer. I want to be the person that start-ups and the friends of start-ups love to know.

- Why would I pick start ups?

- Because they have a low budget, and would appreciate my low-budget websites (that looks like high-budget for the untrained eye)!

As web-design is much easier today then it used to be, I see the potentional and I see that I have a chance in this niece. And as I have by far over a thousand geek-friends/contacts, I really don't need any marketing, I only need knowledge.

My question is... How long does it take to get a sufficient knowledge to actually dare start advertising myself as a web-designer, and where should I start, what should I read?

I'll remain on a wordpress level by the way, that seems to be plenty theese days. - And of course, regular ftp mysql ssh optimization cache htaccess etc I got knowledge about, SEO too.

I am sorry for the long introduction, but a bit of background-story might be helpfull for the ones who can advice me to decide if I am worth their time or not :)

I worked for a website startup. How are you charging people?
Dec 25 2017 12:50pm
Quote (Damein @ Dec 25 2017 07:58pm)
IMO the thing that makes a clean business and professional website is good CSS skills and JScript's. But I haven't messed with web development is a long time. But GL and merry christmas!

Just what I was thinking, will start looking into theese :) Merry Christmas to you too

Quote (nick_steel @ Dec 25 2017 08:19pm)
I worked for a website startup. How are you charging people?

I will just pull invoices, easy and fair for everybody :)
Gold: 0.00
Dec 25 2017 12:51pm
Quote (ium @ Dec 25 2017 12:50pm)
Just what I was thinking, will start looking into theese :) Merry Christmas to you too

Good luck brother, CSS is fairly easy once/if you know HTML so should be no biggy. But I would say take your time on mastering it because a clean layout is :drool:
Dec 25 2017 12:56pm
Quote (Damein @ Dec 25 2017 08:51pm)
Good luck brother, CSS is fairly easy once/if you know HTML so should be no biggy. But I would say take your time on mastering it because a clean layout is :drool:

So true, I will definitelly start reading css with patience! But wordpress + css isn't a very good combo, is it?

Those css-validators truly gonna make me sweat!

Thanks for the good luck, I will need it :)
Gold: 1,457.00
Dec 25 2017 04:30pm
Don't care for css validators too much.

Do learn css frameworks (grid, bootstrap, bourbon), learn less/sass, learn to structure page properly (no inline css).

Wordpress is bad .. but it's also good for quickly whipping out home pages etc. A lot of support and docs out there but code is awful spaghetti. And it's php.

forget ftp, what is this, 1970?

What do you mean by SEO? Most of the "tricks" you will read are either useless, obvious or may even damage your score. Good content will position itself.
Dec 25 2017 05:50pm
Quote (nuvo @ Dec 26 2017 12:30am)
Don't care for css validators too much.

Do learn css frameworks (grid, bootstrap, bourbon), learn less/sass, learn to structure page properly (no inline css).

Wordpress is bad .. but it's also good for quickly whipping out home pages etc. A lot of support and docs out there but code is awful spaghetti. And it's php.

forget ftp, what is this, 1970?

What do you mean by SEO? Most of the "tricks" you will read are either useless, obvious or may even damage your score. Good content will position itself.

css frameworks
grid
bootstrap
bourbon
less/sass
no inline css

You just gave me a good list to start from! Thanks! If you got any advice on a book or website to learn from, please let me know!

Wordpress sure is bad, but I use it because it has so much different and usefull plugins. What else could be good to use? What would you advice me to use?

FTP, 1970?? xD Am I a bit outdated? lol

And regarding seo, I reffer to posting the content in the correct way and such :)
Gold: 57,185.00
Dec 30 2017 11:08pm
just compare ur work to other people advertising should be pretty obvious where u stand
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll