d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > Star Wars The Last Jedi *spoilers* > Trash Fkin Movie
Prev12345634Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 3,375.01
Dec 17 2017 04:23pm
No, his development was a failure.
Gold: 0.00
Dec 17 2017 04:57pm
Quote (dirTyMan @ Dec 18 2017 12:23am)
No, his development was a failure.

agree
Gold: 23.00
Dec 17 2017 05:20pm
Seems like the same people who hated TFA hate this.

I don't get the hate tbh. I thought it was easily better than Rogue One and TFA.

Some people seem to be hating it because it did some bold changes and wasn't a typical Star Wars flick. Others hate the Disney comedic relief sprinkled throughout. I am a Star Wars fan but when I watch movies I feel like I'm always not biased in my ratings.

For example I would rate the prior films :

Episode 4: 8.75
Episode 5: 9.00
Episode 6: 7.50
Episode 7: 8.00
Rogue One: 7.25
Epusode 8: 8.50

Star Wars is hands down my favorite franchise but they are far from the best movies ever made.

I thought the changes took some sack to do and I applaud Rian Johnson and everyone else involved in it. It is such a cherished and popular franchise with probably the biggest fanbase out of all movie franchises. They moved the franchise in a new direction and made some questionable plot twists. I think it made the movie fresh and breathed new life into the beloved franchise.

The comedic relief was very Disney-like. But is that necessarily a bad thing? Disney is the biggest name in entertainment for a reason. They are good at their jobs. They get a lot of hate it seems because of they appeal to the masses more and make things more kid friendly. I can definitely see how people can dislike certain Disney films too. I don't like the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise at all. I never watched Frozen. The Cars franchise is garbage imo. They definitely cater to the younger audience in a majority of their films. That doesn't necessarily make all of them bad films though.

It isn't like the humor wasn't funny. The humor was good and while I can agree that maybe it was used a tad too much, I don't think it made the movie worse. It fit with the atmosphere and new direction. What is wrong with spicing up Star Wars with humor? This goes back to the previous point of changing a beloved franchise. Sure the original trilogy had far less humor but this isn't the original trilogy. I do find it funny that some of the people who hated TFA for being too similar to Episode 4 are upset that they made it too funny and it wasn't the serious tone of the trilogy. They don't want it similar but they also want it more of the same. Seems like those select individuals just are hating to hate.

I guess it just comes down to opinion. I've just never seen a movie where half of the people think it's a great movie and the other half say it's trash. No body is right or wrong. That's the great thing about the entertainment industry. Not everyone is the same. If they were there would be a lot less variety in genres and subject matter.

I'm pretty stoned so I sort of went off on a tangent there sorry guys.

This post was edited by fuzzy159 on Dec 17 2017 05:36pm
Gold: 4.37
Dec 17 2017 05:48pm
Quote (fuzzy159 @ Dec 17 2017 11:20pm)
Seems like the same people who hated TFA hate this.

I don't get the hate tbh. I thought it was easily better than Rogue One and TFA.

Some people seem to be hating it because it did some bold changes and wasn't a typical Star Wars flick. Others hate the Disney comedic relief sprinkled throughout. I am a Star Wars fan but when I watch movies I feel like I'm always not biased in my ratings.

For example I would rate the prior films :

Episode 4: 8.75
Episode 5: 9.00
Episode 6: 7.50
Episode 7: 8.00
Rogue One: 7.25
Epusode 8: 8.50

Star Wars is hands down my favorite franchise but they are far from the best movies ever made.

I thought the changes took some sack to do and I applaud Rian Johnson and everyone else involved in it. It is such a cherished and popular franchise with probably the biggest fanbase out of all movie franchises. They moved the franchise in a new direction and made some questionable plot twists. I think it made the movie fresh and breathed new life into the beloved franchise.

The comedic relief was very Disney-like. But is that necessarily a bad thing? Disney is the biggest name in entertainment for a reason. They are good at their jobs. They get a lot of hate it seems because of they appeal to the masses more and make things more kid friendly. I can definitely see how people can dislike certain Disney films too. I don't like the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise at all. I never watched Frozen. The Cars franchise is garbage imo. They definitely cater to the younger audience in a majority of their films. That doesn't necessarily make all of them bad films though.

It isn't like the humor wasn't funny. The humor was good and while I can agree that maybe it was used a tad too much, I don't think it made the movie worse. It fit with the atmosphere and new direction. What is wrong with spicing up Star Wars with humor? This goes back to the previous point of changing a beloved franchise. Sure the original trilogy had far less humor but this isn't the original trilogy. I do find it funny that some of the people who hated TFA for being too similar to Episode 4 are upset that they made it too funny and it wasn't the serious tone of the trilogy. They don't want it similar but they also want it more of the same. Seems like those select individuals just are hating to hate.

I guess it just comes down to opinion. I've just never seen a movie where half of the people think it's a great movie and the other half say it's trash. No body is right or wrong. That's the great thing about the entertainment industry. Not everyone is the same. If they were there would be a lot less variety in genres and subject matter.

I'm pretty stoned so I sort of went off on a tangent there sorry guys.

All the star wars movies have humor.
Gold: 0.00
Dec 17 2017 05:49pm
didnt read
Gold: 3,375.01
Dec 17 2017 07:06pm
All the Star Wars movies have humor, but nowhere near the same extent as TFA and TLJ, it was overused and poorly timed. Like what the fuck at that conversation with Hux and Poe at the start of the movie. The dialogue was awful, I felt like I was watching some edgy 13 year olds have a conversation in half the interactions. The Leia turning into superman was one of the dumbest things I have ever seen, that would have been a great opportunity to kill her off and show some further character development in Kylo but they failed and had her become superman just to be in a coma for 90% of the movie.

They turned Luke into some cranky, sassy old man and then killed him off in such a stupid way. They managed to ruin one of the greatest hero's in movie history. It seems Rey is already a Jedi master despite having 5 minutes of training, is it not weird that Kylo Ren has trained his entire life and Rey is portrayed as his equal with a minute of training?

They also failed to develop any of the characters other than Kylo, which even then wasn't much. Disney failed to develop a villain, by the end of a New Hope you're left hating Vader because he kills Obi-Wan, and they further cement Vader in TESB by showing him torture Han, chopping off Luke's hand etc. At the end of this movie Kylo is just an asshole who killed Han, but is still conflicted and hasn't really done anything that should make the audience think he is someone that should be feared and viewed as a serious threat. They had a good thing going with Snoke, an aura of mystery and intrigue into this scarred figure who somehow has force powers and was hiding in wait. Instead they kill him off in a scene that felt quite anti-climactic.

Those are just several issues with this movie. There is also the obvious forced casting and story lines just for sake of diversity. All the leaders were strong independent women. Holdor made Poe come off as an idiot, when she could have just told him the plan all along, like what the fuck was the point of that? There was no reason for her not to tell everyone. The Finn and Rose scenes were absolutely useless and didn't add anything to the story. The could have had a great moment with Finn actually sacrificing himself to destroy the cannon and save everyone, but instead they use it as a chance to have Rose, one of the worst characters in star wars history, kiss Finn which came out of absolutely no where.

I fail they completely failed to progress the plot of the story at all, and you could easily just watch TFA and then the third and really not be much out of the loop.
Dec 17 2017 07:15pm
Quote (dirTyMan @ Dec 18 2017 01:06am)
All the Star Wars movies have humor, but nowhere near the same extent as TFA and TLJ, it was overused and poorly timed. Like what the fuck at that conversation with Hux and Poe at the start of the movie. The dialogue was awful, I felt like I was watching some edgy 13 year olds have a conversation in half the interactions. The Leia turning into superman was one of the dumbest things I have ever seen, that would have been a great opportunity to kill her off and show some further character development in Kylo but they failed and had her become superman just to be in a coma for 90% of the movie.

They turned Luke into some cranky, sassy old man and then killed him off in such a stupid way. They managed to ruin one of the greatest hero's in movie history. It seems Rey is already a Jedi master despite having 5 minutes of training, is it not weird that Kylo Ren has trained his entire life and Rey is portrayed as his equal with a minute of training?

They also failed to develop any of the characters other than Kylo, which even then wasn't much. Disney failed to develop a villain, by the end of a New Hope you're left hating Vader because he kills Obi-Wan, and they further cement Vader in TESB by showing him torture Han, chopping off Luke's hand etc. At the end of this movie Kylo is just an asshole who killed Han, but is still conflicted and hasn't really done anything that should make the audience think he is someone that should be feared and viewed as a serious threat. They had a good thing going with Snoke, an aura of mystery and intrigue into this scarred figure who somehow has force powers and was hiding in wait. Instead they kill him off in a scene that felt quite anti-climactic.

Those are just several issues with this movie. There is also the obvious forced casting and story lines just for sake of diversity. All the leaders were strong independent women. Holdor made Poe come off as an idiot, when she could have just told him the plan all along, like what the fuck was the point of that? There was no reason for her not to tell everyone. The Finn and Rose scenes were absolutely useless and didn't add anything to the story. The could have had a great moment with Finn actually sacrificing himself to destroy the cannon and save everyone, but instead they use it as a chance to have Rose, one of the worst characters in star wars history, kiss Finn which came out of absolutely no where.

I fail they completely failed to progress the plot of the story at all, and you could easily just watch TFA and then the third and really not be much out of the loop.

Actually, I found luke's "death" to be fantastic.

the only thing I enjoyed about Snoke's death was his ACTUAL death. Kylo clouded his mind, and it was pretty sly. Otherwise, one of the number questions, who is Snoke, wasn't answered and now it really doesn't matter (in an unfortunately bad way).

Agree with finn and rose.

I know i'll like the movie more the second time watching, I always do. I really don't want to judge the movies too much before the trilogy finale arrives.......then I'll throw down the hammer.

This post was edited by stupidkid282 on Dec 17 2017 07:16pm
Dec 17 2017 07:28pm
Quote (dirTyMan @ Dec 17 2017 09:06pm)

Bro you literally talked mad shit on TFA for being too similar and basically everything you hated about TLJ is for it being too different.

I don't really understand what you expect.

They didn't progress the story Lolwat?

OK now you are definitely just hating just to hate rofl. This generation seems to love to follow the trend of just hating anything popular.

This post was edited by fuzzy159 on Dec 17 2017 07:31pm
Dec 17 2017 07:39pm
Quote (fuzzy159 @ Dec 18 2017 01:28am)
Bro you literally talked mad shit on TFA for being too similar and basically everything you hated about TLJ is for it being too different.

I don't really understand what you expect.

They didn't progress the story Lolwat?

OK now you are definitely just hating just to hate rofl. This generation seems to love to follow the trend of just hating anything popular.

I love star wars......but there's issues going on with this movie. It's not just "hating."
Dec 17 2017 07:55pm
Quote (stupidkid282 @ Dec 17 2017 09:39pm)
I love star wars......but there's issues going on with this movie. It's not just "hating."

Him saying the plot wasn't progressed at all is totally blind hating or just plain ignorance.

The movie definitely was far from perfect but at least have logical reasons for thinking so. I respect people's opinions as long as they have valid points and I know people don't like it for reasonable justification. That being said, some people have the most asinine reasons for thinking it was bad. Some of them went into the theater with the mindset that they already hate it. That is why you see some people grasping at straws for reasoning as to why it is bad.

Liking a movie and how good a movie actually is are two totally different concepts that a lot of people struggle to understand. You can dislike a great movie. You can like a bad movie. Liking a bad movie doesn't make it great and hating a great movie doesn't make it bad.

Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Prev12345634Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll