d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > General Help > Internet Issue
12Next
Add Reply New Topic
Gold: 10.27
Dec 7 2017 07:57am
So this is an issue that has happened with 4 different places I lived with 4 different internet companies.

We are now using xfinity/comcast.

We moved in and we are paying for 300mpbs download speeds. For the first month it was wonderful no issues at all.

Now the internet will randomly drop down to like 1.3 mbps or 11 mpbs or 3 mpbs. Then 5 mins later will go back up to 350+.

We call them and they say it looks like it's perfectly fine. A few days ago the guy told us it said "Critical" on their end and need to send a tech out.

Then Today they tried to say the tech doesn't need o come out because the internet looks fine.

Any ideas what can be causing this? Using direct wired from my desktop.

It feels like they throttle or something. The tech is coming out in a few hours and I don't want him to bullshit me and be like well it looks fine.
Gold: 4,414.10
Dec 7 2017 08:52am
Are you using their equipment? If so, get ur own.

I suggest Motorola modem with Asus router.

Don't go cheap either
Dec 7 2017 08:58am
Quote (worm425 @ Dec 7 2017 08:52am)
Are you using their equipment? If so, get ur own.

I suggest Motorola modem with Asus router.

Don't go cheap either

See I'm hesitant about doing that because i bought a 250$ gaming router a few years ago when I had this issue with Charter internet and it didn't help.
Gold: 75.00
Dec 7 2017 09:17am
Quote (EBAZ @ Dec 7 2017 07:58am)
See I'm hesitant about doing that because i bought a 250$ gaming router a few years ago when I had this issue with Charter internet and it didn't help.

Sounds like the company is throttling you.

Charter out where I live guarantees 60mbps all the time it doesn’t fluctuate. The fact that yours is fluctuating indicates it’s on their end and has nothing to do with the equipment.

This is different equipment than you’ve used at the 4 other locations I assume.

This post was edited by Acuity on Dec 7 2017 09:18am
Dec 7 2017 09:28am
Quote (Acuity @ Dec 7 2017 09:17am)
Sounds like the company is throttling you.

Charter out where I live guarantees 60mbps all the time it doesn’t fluctuate. The fact that yours is fluctuating indicates it’s on their end and has nothing to do with the equipment.

This is different equipment than you’ve used at the 4 other locations I assume.

Yeah each company has their own Modem/router box. Today the net is good so far which sucks because the technician is gonna be like "it looks fine to me"
Gold: 75.00
Dec 7 2017 09:36am
Quote (EBAZ @ Dec 7 2017 08:28am)
Yeah each company has their own Modem/router box. Today the net is good so far which sucks because the technician is gonna be like "it looks fine to me"

Explain to them the fact that it’s throttling you, it’s going up and down continuously. Honestly, you need to start recording it, with times and dates so they can’t just dismiss what your saying.
Gold: 1.00
Dec 7 2017 09:50am
I had this issue earlier this month. Afyer a bunch of visits from isp and replacing modems and routers, turned out to be OneDrive hogging the internet. Sounds stoopid, but after turning off auto sync, no problems at all. I know its not a techie answer, but after days of research and trial and error, that fixed it. I have no explanation. Could be worth a try :)
Gold: 210.01
Dec 7 2017 12:37pm
Call tech, tell them its still too slow even when it isnt.

They'll send a tech to your house.

Call again while waiting for tech, say tech already has been there and to cancel the other tech, tell them tech said to transfer to teir 3.

Teir 3 has direct access, they'll uncap your connection to get rid of you cuz they're lazy IT gurus.

youre welcome.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 187,800.41
Trader: Trusted
Dec 7 2017 02:36pm
This is happening to me as well. If you allow me to join to cause, would appreciate.

Quote (NefariousSly @ Dec 7 2017 08:37pm)
Call tech, tell them its still too slow even when it isnt.

They'll send a tech to your house.

Call again while waiting for tech, say tech already has been there and to cancel the other tech, tell them tech said to transfer to teir 3.

Teir 3 has direct access, they'll uncap your connection to get rid of you cuz they're lazy IT gurus.

youre welcome.

I did call a tech, worst thing was that when he came to my house the internet speed worked properly (of course, in the morning, when there are less traffic). I usually have lag (in video-games, but also in online speed tests) in hot hours.
And can't do the "tech" idea because they send a report when they're done with me at home.
Gold: 0.00
Dec 7 2017 02:40pm
Quote (EBAZ @ Dec 7 2017 06:57am)
So this is an issue that has happened with 4 different places I lived with 4 different internet companies.

We are now using xfinity/comcast.

We moved in and we are paying for 300mpbs download speeds. For the first month it was wonderful no issues at all.

Now the internet will randomly drop down to like 1.3 mbps or 11 mpbs or 3 mpbs. Then 5 mins later will go back up to 350+.

We call them and they say it looks like it's perfectly fine. A few days ago the guy told us it said "Critical" on their end and need to send a tech out.

Then Today they tried to say the tech doesn't need o come out because the internet looks fine.

Any ideas what can be causing this? Using direct wired from my desktop.

It feels like they throttle or something. The tech is coming out in a few hours and I don't want him to bullshit me and be like well it looks fine.

Best thing I have found to help a little bit is to go into the channel settings & find a nice one. Mine kept searching channels every once in a while and killing my speed while it was searching, once I set it up not to auto select a channel it got a little better. :)

I have always had the same issues though, been with 2 different companies even while running a wired connection with nothing but Xbox connected I keep dropping from 25mbps down to .5 - 1 mps randomly

This post was edited by NorthWestern on Dec 7 2017 02:44pm
Go Back To General Help Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic