d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > I Want To Learn > How Do I Start?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 6,189.01
Dec 3 2017 12:36am
the most ive ever done is edit and write my own java scripts for d2 bots dating back to yamb
and building a java 90's esque website with a simple layout

i can make connections by looking at existing code and files to add functions or features that already exist in other places in a script but it is all very basic knowledge.

10 something years ago i wrote a calculator for a class that taught flowcharts and the most basic of programs but i dont remember much

i feel like this will be a fairly easy learning process for me and everyone i know that has offered their opinion says i need to pursue this but ive always avoided it with the worry it would make all computers more of a job than enjoyment/hobby for me. Now it doesnt matter much. I need to learn more.

i want to learn everything from the beginning of programming to tomorrow

if anyone is willing
please outline the steps i need to take to start my education in programming

also minor (very minor) knowledge of d2nt/d2mb/redvex/etal as far as the workings. never had a problem editing or creating my own character script. no idea how the program works beside seeing a function here and there being the same name and utilizing it

This post was edited by willschew on Dec 3 2017 12:48am
Gold: 0.00
Dec 3 2017 01:45am
I would recommend starting with python

Have you ever used linux before? Even if you have not a raspberry pi worked great for me when I started to learn python basics, I picked one up for 40.00 with a circuit board & some led lights. Pretty much just watched videos for python basics then messed with the raspberry pi. You can run the led lights or what ever else you want off the circuit board with simple python scripts. The hands on training made it pretty fun :)

Also i3wm is a nice little training ground if your into linux at all. Can install it along pretty much any distro & configure it with python scripts, great for a little test to see how you are learning :)

This post was edited by NorthWestern on Dec 3 2017 02:04am
Gold: 6,189.01
Dec 3 2017 02:04am
Quote (NorthWestern @ 3 Dec 2017 00:45)
I would recommend starting with python

Have you ever used linux before? Even if you have not a raspberry pi worked great for me when I started to learn python basics, I picked one up for 40.00 with a circuit board & some led lights. Pretty much just watched videos for python basics then messed with the raspberry pi. You can run the led lights or what ever else you want off the circuit board with simple python scripts. The hands on training made it pretty fun :)

when i was growing up someone in my family had a bunch of linux pcs.
but all i remember is xterm and copy and paste kits for a cosmo robot that required some linux but with very little writing involved
Gold: 400.04
Dec 12 2017 08:57am
If you really want to learn C++, you have a long road ahead of you, but it's a fun, bumpy one, definitely. Ideally, first thing you'd have to learn is the basics of the language, what is included and what's not, before even stepping out to tools such as Etal, Redvex and so on.
If you're looking for a book or ebook to learn, I recommend C++ Primer (the last edition you can find), since it'll teach you everything, from basic iterations, conditionals and loops, to the standard library functions, containers, file handling, etc. After that, it's pretty much after articles on the web, and in your case, MSDN for the windows API. Another awesome book is Effective C++ by Scott Meyers, guy's amazing.

I can totally assist you if you need any help with code or optimizations. Just let me know.
Gold: 0.85
Jan 9 2018 09:20pm
Gold: 0.00
Jan 24 2018 03:09pm
https://www.learncs.org/en/Lists

for c#

This post was edited by JesseD on Jan 24 2018 03:09pm
Gold: 603.71
Mar 5 2018 09:20pm
it's pretty cool to feel like what you are programming is useful, not just printing "hello world" or adding numbers or something

this site https://www.codingame.com/start lets you code some aspects of video games... good once you understand basics
if you enjoy video game code design, this youtube video series is a bit advanced but goes over math behind video games

when coding, google and stackexchange are your best friend
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll