d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > Murder On The Orient Express
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 15,241.22
Nov 21 2017 06:50pm
Quote (FroggyG @ Nov 21 2017 06:09pm)
I won't call anyone dumb for liking any movie as long as they have legitimate reasons to back up their opinion, even if I disagree.

Most people don't though.

Why is your opinion what classifies legitimate?

If someone likes a movie they like a movie. Who are you to judge them for their own opinions?
Gold: 25.20
Nov 21 2017 06:57pm
Quote (seifersan @ Nov 21 2017 06:50pm)
Why is your opinion what classifies legitimate?

If someone likes a movie they like a movie. Who are you to judge them for their own opinions?

Because how well you can support an opinion determines how much of an idiot you are. It shows how much thought you actually put into things. It can also show how well you actually know yourself or how well you understand your own likes and dislikes. A well supported opinion means there was actually some analysis put into it.
An opinion that isn't supported is just meaningless garbage.

You can like Transformers because "big mechs go boom boom" or "I just like it!"

Or you can like Transformers because you enjoy certain actors or nostalgia over iconic characters or you like the fantasy of things being epic in scale. Maybe you like the personality of a few characters because it follows your sense of humor.

It's like when people insult each other...
You could sit there flaming someone calling them bad words you learned that don't really have real meaning.
Or you could actually point out real character flaws in them, which often forces them to react defensively and actually creates a lasting effect towards the other person.
The supported opinion actually has weight. The other only has an effect on the stupid.

This post was edited by FroggyG on Nov 21 2017 07:08pm
Nov 21 2017 07:48pm
Quote (FroggyG @ Nov 21 2017 07:57pm)
Because how well you can support an opinion determines how much of an idiot you are. It shows how much thought you actually put into things. It can also show how well you actually know yourself or how well you understand your own likes and dislikes. A well supported opinion means there was actually some analysis put into it.

You can like Transformers because "big mechs go boom boom" or "I just like it!"

Or you can like Transformers because you enjoy certain actors or nostalgia over iconic characters or you like the fantasy of things being epic in scale. Maybe you like the personality of a few characters because it follows your sense of humor.

It's like when people insult each other...
You could sit there flaming someone calling them bad words you learned that don't really have real meaning.
Or you could actually point out real character flaws in them, which often forces them to react defensively and actually creates a lasting effect towards the other person.
The supported opinion actually has weight. The other only has an effect on the stupid.

Sorry but this post isnt legitimate.
Gold: 63,142.89
Nov 21 2017 10:09pm
Quote (FroggyG @ Nov 21 2017 08:57pm)

I wouldn't really agree with that statement.

Opinion: I think cucumbers taste better than green peppers.

If I am unable to support that opinion with a thoughtful analysis, does that make me an idiot? No, it does not. Cucumbers just taste better to me. I don't need to be able to explain that opinion to avoid being an idiot.

Now, let's say you reword the bolded part of your statement by saying "how well you can support an opinion about movies shows how knowledgeable about movies you are." That's a statement I could get behind.

But not being able to support an opinion about movies doesn't make someone an idiot. If a teenage girl can has the opinion that Titanic is a great movie, not being able to explain her opinion doesn't make her an idiot. If she went through 20 tissues crying at the end, then she's obviously justified in having the opinion that it is a great movie.

This post was edited by Kayeto on Nov 21 2017 10:18pm
Gold: 10,025.00
Nov 21 2017 11:05pm
Quote (Kayeto @ Nov 21 2017 09:09pm)

If I am unable to support that opinion with a thoughtful analysis, does that make me an idiot? No, it does not. Cucumbers just taste better to me. I don't need to be able to explain that opinion to avoid being an idiot.

Now, let's say you reword the bolded part of your statement by saying "how well you can support an opinion about movies shows how knowledgeable about movies you are." That's a statement I could get behind.

But not being able to support an opinion about movies doesn't make someone an idiot. If a teenage girl can has the opinion that Titanic is a great movie, not being able to explain her opinion doesn't make her an idiot. If she went through 20 tissues crying at the end, then she's obviously justified in having the opinion that it is a great movie.

We are on a fucking movie and television subforum. It's fucking implied he is taking about movies and television not fucking cucumbers.
Gold: 63,142.89
Nov 22 2017 12:00am
Quote (Blah58 @ Nov 22 2017 01:05am)
We are on a fucking movie and television subforum. It's fucking implied he is taking about movies and television not fucking cucumbers.

ok well, all I'm trying to say is that just because someone may lack the cinema knowledge to explain why they liked a movie doesn't mean they are an idiot.

Someone can watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail, laugh a lot, decide that the movie is good without being able to explain why and still not be an idiot.
Gold: 10,025.00
Nov 22 2017 12:29am
Quote (Kayeto @ Nov 21 2017 11:00pm)
ok well, all I'm trying to say is that just because someone may lack the cinema knowledge to explain why they liked a movie doesn't mean they are an idiot.

Someone can watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail, laugh a lot, decide that the movie is good without being able to explain why and still not be an idiot.

You don't need to be a movie expert to say "I liked that movie because the relationship between jack and rose was so romantic and when he sacrificed himself for her it was beautiful." Or "the movie has so many jokes and none of them fell flat, i was constantly laughing it was great."

You obviously can go deeper with more knowledge but even without knowledge you can still explain yourself beyond "i like it because it's good".

This post was edited by Blah58 on Nov 22 2017 12:29am
Nov 22 2017 12:34am
Quote (Kayeto @ Nov 21 2017 10:09pm)

Taste is not opinion though. It does or does not taste good regardless of how you look at it. And you don't get to convince yourself that it tastes good.
Moves you can be convinced of it being good or bad by becoming aware of perspectives that you may not have had previously.

Quote (Kayeto @ Nov 21 2017 10:09pm)

Watching animals dying would make her cry. Does that mean a clip of animals dying should get an Oscar?

Not being able to support her opinion does make her an idiot.

This post was edited by FroggyG on Nov 22 2017 12:39am
Nov 22 2017 12:39am
Quote (FroggyG @ Nov 22 2017 01:34am)
Taste is not opinion. You don't decide what tastes good to you. You can maybe influence it but ultimately it's not your choice.

Funny you would say that. Taste is entirely opinion. Taste bugs are not all the same in every person, so to say something tastes good is entirely an opinion.

Just like no two people have the same brain. As such movies are experienced in different ways by every person, so to say a movie was good is also entirely an opinion.
Nov 22 2017 12:40am
Quote (seifersan @ Nov 22 2017 12:39am)
Funny you would say that. Taste is entirely opinion. Taste bugs are not all the same in every person, so to say something tastes good is entirely an opinion.

Just like no two people have the same brain. As such movies are experienced in different ways by every person, so to say a movie was good is also entirely an opinion.

That's not what an opinion is. Whether you like the taste of something or not is fact. You either do or don't and you don't get to make judgments otherwise (unless you're completely delusional and think that something tasting bad tastes good).

You can have opinions about whether you might like the taste of something or not, or whether it is good/bad to like the taste of something, but whether you actually do end up liking it or not is out of your control.

Someone can't convince you that something tastes good and then you magically think it tastes good.

This post was edited by FroggyG on Nov 22 2017 12:45am
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll