d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Thermaltake Tr2 > Review
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 7,830.00
Nov 18 2017 10:03am
Hi guys, So newegg has that 500w tr2 on sale for 20 AR and I was thinking of grabbing it, as I love the long warranty as a reseller (5 year).

I am having trouble finding reviews on it or information on it. Some Tier lists list it as worst possible, but I see no reviews to back it up or any reasoning as to why.

I have found reviews on the higher Tr2's to be good (700+) but nothing on the lower ones and am afraid they might be a different, lower quality platform than the higher watts.

In any case, let me know what you guys think.

My intention will be to use it in a budget PC for resale, likely with a 150-170 CPu/mobo combo with a $100-150 gpu, so it needs to be just more or less cheap and good enough.
Gold: 84.10
Nov 18 2017 10:40am
hit or miss
have used a couple in the past, part of a bundle
both worked fine I know 1 is still going today
but I have heard the horror stories all over the internets

paying 20 extra will give you piece of mind
wait for something else to pop up especially with bf cm coming up you prolly will see quality low watters go on sale and you can pick up a few if needed to be
Gold: 7,830.00
Nov 18 2017 11:23am
Quote (yupitsmeh @ Nov 18 2017 12:40pm)
hit or miss
have used a couple in the past, part of a bundle
both worked fine I know 1 is still going today
but I have heard the horror stories all over the internets

paying 20 extra will give you piece of mind
wait for something else to pop up especially with bf cm coming up you prolly will see quality low watters go on sale and you can pick up a few if needed to be

I hear all the horror stories and bad rep about various components and I've never had any of the bad luck I hear coming from people, and I spend most humans' yearly income on newegg each year...
So i mean on one half I'm sure I'm just lucky, but on the other, I never know how serious I should treat stories - main point below:

One time i sold a guy a mobo,and he called me up saying it "fried his cpu and blew his PSU"
I knew this wasn't true, so he brought it over for me to take a look - he had the cpu plug half plugged in (in both ways, 2 pins were straight up unfilled, and it was not all the way in).

He spent the entire night trying to diagnose it and I noticed this and fixed it in under 25 seconds - his immediate response was, oh fuck you. (later we also discovered the pins had been pretty severely bent during his frustration).
So keep in mind, these people exist and post stories too, that's what makes all these stories about the TR2 so hard to interpret for me :P

Anyway, I'm leaning towards taking the plunge right now. I frequently buy up all the corsair/evga/whatever non total junk PSUs and I'm always needing alternatives to abuse the rebates :P
but as you said, some of the statements on this PSU are really horrible, so I'm just really torn >.<

This post was edited by Rapture on Nov 18 2017 11:24am
Gold: 84.10
Nov 18 2017 12:18pm
Quote (Rapture @ Nov 18 2017 12:23pm)
I hear all the horror stories and bad rep about various components and I've never had any of the bad luck I hear coming from people, and I spend most humans' yearly income on newegg each year...
So i mean on one half I'm sure I'm just lucky, but on the other, I never know how serious I should treat stories - main point below:

One time i sold a guy a mobo,and he called me up saying it "fried his cpu and blew his PSU"
I knew this wasn't true, so he brought it over for me to take a look - he had the cpu plug half plugged in (in both ways, 2 pins were straight up unfilled, and it was not all the way in).

He spent the entire night trying to diagnose it and I noticed this and fixed it in under 25 seconds - his immediate response was, oh fuck you. (later we also discovered the pins had been pretty severely bent during his frustration).
So keep in mind, these people exist and post stories too, that's what makes all these stories about the TR2 so hard to interpret for me :P

Anyway, I'm leaning towards taking the plunge right now. I frequently buy up all the corsair/evga/whatever non total junk PSUs and I'm always needing alternatives to abuse the rebates :P
but as you said, some of the statements on this PSU are really horrible, so I'm just really torn >.<

i know actually what you are saying, just like many peoples horror stories on ocz ram and ssds, I never encountered problems with them
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll