d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > Intermittent Fasting
Prev123457Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 301.14
Nov 13 2017 11:05pm
i fucking love carbs. Fuck keto
Gold: 93.00
Nov 14 2017 09:30am
Quote (dirTyMan @ Nov 13 2017 11:41pm)
Why though

Why what? Eat a little carbs? For me, that's mostly sanity. I still like to eat a little fruit like blueberries, and go heavier on veggies like kale, spinach, asparagus, green beans etc. keep micronutrients and fiber up. If you listen to some of Dr. Rhonda Patricks podcasts/interviews even her instagram posts, she elaborates on the specifics of these and why they're so good. Main idea being telomeres/anti-aging stuff (aging gracefully).

Not saying keto is for everyone. But there are plenty of athletes using non-conventional diets and still excel in their respective areas.

Quote (Deathbv @ Nov 14 2017 01:05am)
i fucking love carbs. Fuck keto

Yeah I love carbs too. Best tasting food typically. But not really optimal for everyone.
Nov 14 2017 05:12pm
Will reply to myself as well, Dom D'agostino is another great mind primarily researching all things keto. Lots of interesting studies and helpful information for those who are interested.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 505.00
Trader: Trusted
Nov 14 2017 05:57pm
Quote (BigDaddyGurk @ 14 Nov 2017 19:12)
Will reply to myself as well, Dom D'agostino is another great mind primarily researching all things keto. Lots of interesting studies and helpful information for those who are interested.

He is great on the research end but my issue with him is that keto pays his bills. I don't have much against keto and I've tried it myself and I've gotten great results, but the fact that his name has been made on keto research b/c exogenous keto companies promote it gives me pause. Not saying he's corrupt, just saying he's getting paid to talk about keto.
Nov 14 2017 06:10pm
Quote (RewtheBrave @ Nov 14 2017 07:57pm)
He is great on the research end but my issue with him is that keto pays his bills. I don't have much against keto and I've tried it myself and I've gotten great results, but the fact that his name has been made on keto research b/c exogenous keto companies promote it gives me pause. Not saying he's corrupt, just saying he's getting paid to talk about keto.

I definitely agree. Just as Joe Rogan does with Onnit. Problem with this thinking is it can be applied to every industry. Look at the U.S. healthcare system..

Plus, same things were done in the 60's with sugar. Collusion between agricultural conglomerates and scientists to demonize saturated fat and give sugar the thumbs up. And what do we have now? One of, if not the most obese nation on the planet, the highest healthcare costs (30-40% GDP goes towards healthcare, something over 3 trillion dollars).

If I was a scientist studying something out of the public or average persons eye, and I saw studies supporting its use, my own studies supported it, and it has all of these health benefits, you bet your ass I'm doing whatever I can to turn it into a product and bring it to market.

/e my example with sugar does not mean that is what's going on with keto. Just an example of how things get sticky.

/e2 Reiterate, I'm not promoting keto for everyone, merely arguing keto is not a bad diet to implement, or at least try should you think you could benefit from it. And I happen to believe far more people would benefit from it, but are either too lazy to give it an honest try, don't want to put in any effort researching it, and are too stubborn to break the bad habits they have developed over time.

This post was edited by BigDaddyGurk on Nov 14 2017 06:12pm
Gold: 3,375.01
Nov 14 2017 07:16pm
I've tried keto, it was unbearable.
Gold: 0.44
Nov 14 2017 09:26pm
Quote (Excusemem8 @ Nov 13 2017 10:14pm)
Just lol if u have 3 meals a day

Cavemen would struggle to have 1 good meal a day and they turned out just fine

Also used to die a lot earlier than us :D
Gold: 770.00
Nov 14 2017 09:44pm
Quote (Rebuy @ Nov 14 2017 07:26pm)

Don’t see the relevance
Retired Moderator
Gold: 505.00
Trader: Trusted
Nov 15 2017 08:19am
Quote (Rebuy @ 14 Nov 2017 23:26)

It's difficult to live long without access to modern medicine when you're fighting cave bears, mammoths, and giant elk.

Quote (BigDaddyGurk @ 14 Nov 2017 20:10)
I definitely agree. Just as Joe Rogan does with Onnit. Problem with this thinking is it can be applied to every industry. Look at the U.S. healthcare system..

Plus, same things were done in the 60's with sugar. Collusion between agricultural conglomerates and scientists to demonize saturated fat and give sugar the thumbs up. And what do we have now? One of, if not the most obese nation on the planet, the highest healthcare costs (30-40% GDP goes towards healthcare, something over 3 trillion dollars).

If I was a scientist studying something out of the public or average persons eye, and I saw studies supporting its use, my own studies supported it, and it has all of these health benefits, you bet your ass I'm doing whatever I can to turn it into a product and bring it to market.

/e my example with sugar does not mean that is what's going on with keto. Just an example of how things get sticky.

/e2 Reiterate, I'm not promoting keto for everyone, merely arguing keto is not a bad diet to implement, or at least try should you think you could benefit from it. And I happen to believe far more people would benefit from it, but are either too lazy to give it an honest try, don't want to put in any effort researching it, and are too stubborn to break the bad habits they have developed over time.

I think excess consumption of saturated fat is bad, but so is overconsumption of refined simple sugars. Both are essentially empty calories. Eating too much of either will mess with your blood, clog your arteries, and ultimately kill you. The motivation for getting people to consume saturated fat and refined simple sugars is the same--it's cheap to produce and ship out to the world. Corn, soy, excess animal fat ... they're good money-makers and they're terrible for the environment.
Nov 15 2017 11:51am
Quote (RewtheBrave @ Nov 15 2017 10:19am)
It's difficult to live long without access to modern medicine when you're fighting cave bears, mammoths, and giant elk.

I think excess consumption of saturated fat is bad, but so is overconsumption of refined simple sugars. Both are essentially empty calories. Eating too much of either will mess with your blood, clog your arteries, and ultimately kill you. The motivation for getting people to consume saturated fat and refined simple sugars is the same--it's cheap to produce and ship out to the world. Corn, soy, excess animal fat ... they're good money-makers and they're terrible for the environment.

No, actually, saturated fat =/= clogged arteries / plaque build up. That is general consensus now, even the outdated AHA is slowly coming around to that realization, it's just hard to implement/distribute information in a society structured as ours. I'm not saying eating 500g of saturated fat ed isn't bad for you; obviously everything needs to be taken in moderation. But what you're getting at is a very common misconception and I don't want to come off as rude here, but it's simply not correct.

Saturated fat + refined carbs/sugar is very bad, as seen with lots of fast food.

Increased fat consumption is much like the dietary cholesterol craze we saw with eggs when that was thought to be extremely unhealthy. Also sheds a little light on the misconceptions surrounding cholesterol. HDL/LDL isn't simply good/bad cholesterol, LDL technically isn't even cholesterol. Keto diets do show increases in HDL/LDL, but again, does not have a linear correlation so to speak with heart disease or plaque buildup etc.

I was listening to a guy named Chris Kesser iirc speaking, and he brought up the case of a hunter/gather population (chemani? spelling definitely off) in south america I believe, where they follow a predominantly keto based diet - high fats, mod protein, very low carb a.k.a what is naturally available - and one of the things shown in their population was a crazy difference in vascular health in comparison to those in western civilizations. Something like 80-90 year olds having the vascular health of 40-50 year olds, no plaque buildup at all, plus some other stuff I don't remember off the top of my head.

Again I just want to say, I am not trying to push keto diets onto anyone, as it may not be the optimal diet for everyone. But what I would like anyone reading this to pull from this is:

1) Do your own research before forming your opinion. (Read studies, listen/read Dr's/Scientists interpretations etc)
2) Give it an honest try if you think it could benefit you (Not 2 days, or even 2 weeks. It is different for everyone. It can take weeks to months for someone to become fat adaptive)
3) Most importantly, put some serious thought into what you consume. We need to approach health problems at the root rather than using a prescription to cover up symptoms

/rant

Sorry I just like this stuff, and I'd like to not have 100% of GDP go towards U.S. healthcare in 30 years.

/e that hunter/gather population studied was NOT in keto indefinitely, they still ate carbs, but not the extent to which it has become the main food source as in agricultural based societies

This post was edited by BigDaddyGurk on Nov 15 2017 11:56am
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev123457Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll