d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Fight For Net Neutrality Goes To The Next Round
12333Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,400.67
Nov 3 2017 08:51pm
The FCC is about to vote on gutting net neutrality once again.

Ajit Pai, former Verizon lawyer and current chairman of the FCC, is expected to circulate the text of his rule and announce a vote to gut net neutrality protections on November 22.
Only Congress can stop them. Therefore, we must act quick and call our congressional representatives to make them aware of the massive opposition to any such plans!

All necessary information can be found under the following links:

https://www.fightforthefuture.org/news/2017-10-26-the-fcc-will-soon-vote-to-kill-net-neutrality-but/

https://www.battleforthenet.com/

Gold: 2,004.41
Nov 3 2017 08:56pm
why shouldn't ISPs be able to to run their business how they want?

check my mug
Nov 3 2017 09:03pm
Quote (Sakuraba @ 4 Nov 2017 04:56)

check my mug
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A19WvlNCAAEAGDw.jpg

• Losing net neutrality would directly lead to massive price hikes, massive slowdown of "non-prioritized" parts of the internet and massive throttling.
  • On top, it would leave the door wide open for various forms of censorship on the internet.
  • And as a final nail in the coffin, it would put small companies, activist groups and upstarts at a massive competitive disadvantage compared to the internet giants who can afford to pay for prioritizing their sites/content. It would set the current internet landscape in stone and create a de facto oligarchy. And by hurting internet upstarts, it would also lead to less jobs created and a loss of economic growth.

Gold: 10,655.00
Nov 3 2017 09:04pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Nov 3 2017 10:51pm)
The FCC is about to vote on gutting net neutrality once again.

Ajit Pai, former Verizon lawyer and current chairman of the FCC, is expected to circulate the text of his rule and announce a vote to gut net neutrality protections on November 22.
Only Congress can stop them. Therefore, we must act quick and call our congressional representatives to make them aware of the massive opposition to any such plans!

All necessary information can be found under the following links:

https://www.fightforthefuture.org/news/2017-10-26-the-fcc-will-soon-vote-to-kill-net-neutrality-but/

https://www.battleforthenet.com/

I jujst called and told my congressman that I wanted congress to uphold net neutrality.

Quote (Sakuraba @ Nov 3 2017 10:56pm)

check my mug
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A19WvlNCAAEAGDw.jpg

I think the problem is that all areas of the US don't all have choices of who they get their internet from. Without those choices, an ISP that decides that you don't just matter, pretty much has you over a barrel.

This post was edited by Ghot on Nov 3 2017 09:04pm
Nov 3 2017 09:06pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Nov 3 2017 09:03pm)
  • Losing net neutrality would directly lead to massive price hikes, massive slowdown of "non-prioritized" parts of the internet and massive throttling.
  • On top, it would leave the door wide open for various forms of censorship on the internet.
  • And as a final nail in the coffin, it would put small companies, activist groups and upstarts at a massive competitive disadvantage compared to the internet giants who can afford to pay for prioritizing their sites/content. It would set the current internet landscape in stone and create a de facto oligarchy. And by hurting internet upstarts, it would also lead to less jobs created and a loss of economic growth.

Quote (Ghot @ Nov 3 2017 09:04pm)
I jujst called and told my congressman that I wanted congress to uphold net neutrality.

I think the problem is that all areas of the US don't all have choices of who they get their internet from. Without those choices, an ISP that decides that you don't just matter, pretty much has you over a barrel.

it all sounds really nice, but I mean, why shouldn't the ISP be able to run their business how they want? the entire point is to turn as much profit as possible and they are being held down by regulations.
Nov 3 2017 09:11pm
Quote (Sakuraba @ 4 Nov 2017 05:06)
it all sounds really nice, but I mean, why shouldn't the ISP be able to run their business how they want? the entire point is to turn as much profit as possible and they are being held down by regulations.

with the same argument, you could question why chemical plants arent just allowed to dump their toxic wastes into the next river.

regulations are necessary to prevent profits for the few from taking precedence over the interests of the many. internet companies are profitable right now, with net neutrality. allowing them to gut net neutrality would increase their profits and control over the internet while hurting creativity, global connectivity, economic dynamics and freedom of speech. it would mean destroying something awesome just so a handful of guys get even richer. and as I said: it would probably be a net negative for the economy as a whole.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Nov 3 2017 09:11pm
Gold: 25.20
Nov 3 2017 09:15pm
Quote (Sakuraba @ Nov 3 2017 09:06pm)

But regulations aren't bad...

Can't have a corporation without a system for said corporations to exist and you can't have a system without rules that create said system

This post was edited by FroggyG on Nov 3 2017 09:17pm
Nov 3 2017 09:16pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Nov 3 2017 09:11pm)
with the same argument, you could question why chemical plants arent just allowed to dump their toxic wastes into the next river.

regulations are necessary to prevent profits for the few from taking precedence over the interests of the many. internet companies are profitable right now, with net neutrality. allowing them to gut net neutrality would increase their profits and control over the internet while hurting creativity, global connectivity, economic dynamics and freedom of speech. it would mean destroying something awesome just so a handful of guys get even richer. and as I said: it would probably be a net negative for the economy as a whole.

internet is a service though, you aren't losing access to it. Dumping toxic wastes into a river harms the environment and harms people, it isn't their river to dump into.
Gold: 2.70
Nov 3 2017 09:16pm
Quote (Sakuraba @ Nov 4 2017 03:16am)
internet is a service though, you aren't losing access to it. Dumping toxic wastes into a river harms the environment and harms people, it isn't their river to dump into.

only if you pay the extra fee they would add

This post was edited by Warlock316 on Nov 3 2017 09:16pm
Nov 3 2017 09:18pm
Quote (Warlock316 @ Nov 3 2017 09:16pm)
only if you pay the extra fee they would add

shouldn't private business owners be allowed to set the prices they want?
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
12333Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll