d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Visual Studio
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Trade Moderator
Gold: 82,000.00
Trader: Trusted
Oct 30 2017 02:10am
Hey guys :)
So I started to learn some C and I'm trying to install Visual Studio but it always trying to install the program on C
and I want to install it on E, anyway to change it?

Also, what extensions needed for new learner? :)

Thanks!
Gold: 5,169.82
Oct 30 2017 05:36am
I think this could help you:
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3e7160ef-505e-4c48-a1aa-78e778c13ee0/install-visual-studio-2017-in-d-drive?forum=vssetup

Might not work for all versions though. I personally am not familiar with the user interface shown in those screenshots.

For a new learner, I'd personally suggest not using any extensions at all. In fact, I believe that even using Visual Studio is a little bit counter-productive. I presume that your goal is to learn to program, and that developing efficiently is only secondary to that. For that reason, it's best to get started without too many clutches that keep you from making beginner mistakes. Fixing mistakes is the best way to learn everything in the first place.

Good luck, by the way. C is not easy to get started with, but it is definitely a good way to learn the ins and outs of how to write good software.
Trade Moderator
Oct 30 2017 09:17am
Thanks!
I just started learning C as part of my studies in college :)
Guess I will ask them there what the best to use even that we only started.
Gold: 572.25
Oct 30 2017 01:46pm
Quote (Yakir @ 30 Oct 2017 10:17)
Thanks!

imo use visual studio code and learn the syntax
and have you taken an intro to comp science class yet
and you might wanna brush up on a data structures class
c/c++ is one of the harder languages it starts off with advanced computer science ideas i would learn c# first but since its for a class id look at reddit/learnprogramming
and id atleast spend an hour of coding each day 7 days a week and then write a blog about it so if you like it you show a interviewer when you graduate unless you're doing some other thing like engineering or networking but its the father of all languages pretty much everything is based of it but id try visual studio code and download the c extension and maybe pick up learn c the hardway but everyone learns differently so i cant say i kinda struggled with c++
but java was easy and the farther i get with java im still learning it the more stuff about c++ makes sense
itll prolly take you like 3-6 months also try to find a reason other then a class to learn c try making games or android apps after you learn it learning a programming language is alot of work thats why there is so many bootcamps because you'll literally spend all day and night coding its like complete immersion-stolen from john somez's book
also pickup john somez software developer career guide its very insightful but best of luck.
Gold: 215.50
Nov 5 2017 03:08am
Quote (Yakir @ Oct 30 2017 10:17am)
Thanks!

Don't use an IDE if you're learning C. Use Emacs or Vi/Vim/Neovim; learn how to use gcc, gdb, valgrind, etc. all from the command line.
It will be painful for a month or two, but these skills will be irreplaceable once you take operating systems and higher level courses.

Quote (Morphed @ Oct 30 2017 02:46pm)
imo use visual studio code and learn the syntax
and have you taken an intro to comp science class yet
and you might wanna brush up on a data structures class
c/c++ is one of the harder languages it starts off with advanced computer science ideas i would learn c# first but since its for a class id look at reddit/learnprogramming
and id atleast spend an hour of coding each day 7 days a week and then write a blog about it so if you like it you show a interviewer when you graduate unless you're doing some other thing like engineering or networking but its the father of all languages pretty much everything is based of it but id try visual studio code and download the c extension and maybe pick up learn c the hardway but everyone learns differently so i cant say i kinda struggled with c++
but java was easy and the farther i get with java im still learning it the more stuff about c++ makes sense
itll prolly take you like 3-6 months also try to find a reason other then a class to learn c try making games or android apps after you learn it learning a programming language is alot of work thats why there is so many bootcamps because you'll literally spend all day and night coding its like complete immersion-stolen from john somez's book
also pickup john somez software developer career guide its very insightful but best of luck.

DS/algo classes are definitely not required to learn C. In most of the universities I've followed, they teach C before the real algo/DS courses.
It forces you to understand the basics that way - and you can easily see how things like dynamic expansion for array-based lists happen once you've programmed a bit in C.
Then it's easy to understand why array-backed lists are O(1) insert but linked lists are O(n).

Don't force yourself to write blogs unless you already want to do it for whatever reason.
I would never read a university hire's blog and if you want to get hired by a big N company, they will not care about it at all.

In general, C++ should be teaching you more about how Java works, not the other way around. That's why starting classes are Python, Java, C#, Smalltalk, Scratch, etc...

This post was edited by Remembrance on Nov 5 2017 03:09am
Gold: 1,070.70
Nov 5 2017 08:54am
why do you even need visual studio? I recognize it has good functionalities but still i think it's microsoft certified crap...
You want to learn C? Stay away for it, that's my first and last suggestion
Gold: 7.41
Nov 5 2017 12:16pm
Quote (4rchon @ Nov 5 2017 09:54am)
why do you even need visual studio? I recognize it has good functionalities but still i think it's microsoft certified crap...
You want to learn C? Stay away for it, that's my first and last suggestion

What makes it certified crap? I tend to hear this from people who have never actually used Visual Studio. It is hands down the best IDE I have ever used. The thought of working without it is horrifying. What about it do you find distasteful?
Gold: 1,939.50
Nov 5 2017 03:12pm
Quote (Minkomonster @ Nov 5 2017 01:16pm)
What makes it certified crap? I tend to hear this from people who have never actually used Visual Studio. It is hands down the best IDE I have ever used. The thought of working without it is horrifying. What about it do you find distasteful?

The older versions of VS did suck (05-13). I like VS2017 though and 2015 isn't too bad.

This post was edited by waraholic on Nov 5 2017 03:12pm
Trade Moderator
Nov 6 2017 06:59am
I just started learning C in the process of getting my degree in program engineer :) , first year out of 3 ^^
We gonna use the 2017 one and have them installed on the school pc's and wanted to have my own but couldn't know what to choose and also
couldn't understand why it always trying to install on C and won't let me change it to my other HD for example :)

thanks for great tips guys, most likely I will post here more once I get some homework and stuff so I will have questions ^^
Trade Moderator
Nov 15 2017 04:14am
Still couldn't find a way to install Visual Studio on E and not on C.
any tips guys?
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll