d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Vmware With Ubuntu
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 134.00
Oct 23 2017 11:26pm
Was hoping someone could answer some questions i have, or walk me thru it over skype or some other voice chat software, would appreciate it
Preferably tonight
Gold: 19.00
Oct 24 2017 12:23am
I use VMWare Pro for school. What exactly are you asking? How to set up a VM with Unbuntu installed on it?
Gold: 134.00
Oct 24 2017 10:28am
Quote (Bassist @ Oct 24 2017 02:23am)
I use VMWare Pro for school. What exactly are you asking? How to set up a VM with Unbuntu installed on it?

Oh sorry i forgot to specify VMware Workstation 12 Player

yes installing ubuntu on vmware
Gold: 19.00
Oct 24 2017 03:44pm
Quote (ferf @ Oct 24 2017 11:28am)
Oh sorry i forgot to specify VMware Workstation 12 Player

yes installing ubuntu on vmware

How do you expect to Install Ubuntu, with an ISO?
You're going to want to open VMWare
New Virtual Machine > Select "I will install operating system later"
Press Next
Select Linux, then your version of Ubuntu, press next
Give it name, installation path
Next
Assign it's processors/cores, this is where it gets tricky, unless you have a beast CPU make sure you give it just enough that it needs, but your host machine has to have enough CPU power to be able to host. Let us know what processor you have.
Next
Assign it's RAM, again, this depends on how much RAM you have. However you have to give it the minimum. These settings can be modified later.
Next
Your network connection depends on what you have configured, I use "Use network address translation (NAT)" for my VM. I am on wifi.
Next
I/O Controller type, leave default, next
Virtual Disk type, use recommended (SCSI)
next
"Create a new virtual disk"
Next
Give it as much GB as you need for whatever you are doing. This differs from person to person. Always need at least recommended. on this page you can choose whether you want the VM in 1 file, or split into multiple files, again..this is preference. Read the description for it.
Next
When you are on the last page, look at your configuration, if it's correct
Click "Customize hardware"
Under "New CD/DVD (SATA)" in the left panel, select "Use ISO image file:" Browse to where you have your Ubuntu ISO, select it, and close the window.
Then hit "Finish"

Fire up your VM, it should boot into the Ubuntu install, from there it's pretty straight forward. If you are still lost, I recommend looking up a video on Youtube to help you.
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll