d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Football & Rugby > Espn Insider Requests > Post It Up Here
Prev1789
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,250.00
Mar 22 2018 07:34pm
Quote (Pinecones @ Mar 22 2018 03:30pm)

As the 2018 NFL draft inches closer -- seriously, it's next month -- it's time for my annual tradition of evaluating last year's draft, tearing up my grades that come out the night the draft ends and starting from scratch based on how each rookie performed in Year 1. We saw several injuries crush several of these classes, but there were also a lot of surprises and sleepers who outperformed their draft positions. Either way, it's a good time for a progress report.

As a reminder: The updated grades are just a fun exercise in seeing how the draft class appears to be shaping up. It's a check to see how players are coming along. A few parameters:

I look at first-year impact from the rookie class based on relative value -- contributing to a winner is worth more than piling up reps for a bad team.

I included rookie undrafted free agents added after the draft, as those are an important part of the process. And there were a few teams that had big contributors from UFAs.

As with the rookie rankings, I try to ask whether players who contributed could do so for most teams. Again, relative value matters.

We'll start with the highest-graded class -- it should be no surprise -- and go in order of best to worst grades, with teams in alphabetical order for grades that are the same. And click the links below to go directly to a team:

ARI | ATL | BAL | BUF | CAR | CHI | CIN | CLE | DAL | DEN | DET | GB | HOU | IND | JAC | KC | LAC | LAR | MIA | MIN | NE | NO | NYG | NYJ | OAK | PHI | PIT | SF | SEA | TB | TEN | WAS
New Orleans Saints

Post-draft grade: B

Where do we start with the class that had both the offensive and defensive rookies of the year? It was sensational, one of the best rookie groups since I've been covering the draft. Cornerback Marshon Lattimore locked down one side of the field and had five interceptions. Ryan Ramczyk started every game, making a flawless switch from left tackle to right tackle once Terron Armstead came back healthy. Safety Marcus Williams is going to be remembered for the touchdown he gave up in the divisional-round loss to the Vikings, but he's a really good player. He had four interceptions and 71 tackles.

Editor's Picks

McShay's best value picks from 2017 NFL draft

The Saints managed to win both rookie of the year awards, finding some of the draft's best values. Todd McShay picks out the rookies who provided the most return on investment in Year 1.

Then there's running back Alvin Kamara, a pick I questioned last year. Here's what I wrote: "A big question mark here was the value given up to draft Kamara. Even if you question any possibilities beyond 2017 for Mark Ingram or Adrian Peterson, trading a second-rounder to move up and take my No. 88 overall player is iffy."

OK, so the Saints traded a 2018 second-round pick to move into the third round in 2017 -- and got one of the most versatile backs in the NFL. Kamara led all rookies in receptions (81) and yards after the catch (696), and averaged 6.0 yards per carry. He had 14 total touchdowns. I got this one wrong. Absolutely.

New Orleans also got meaningful snaps from Alex Anzalone, who started the first four games before hurting his shoulder and being placed on injured reserve, and defensive end Trey Hendrickson, who had two sacks.

Again, this is a fantastic class. Enjoy this A, Saints.

New grade: A

Round/Pick Name Pos College
1/11 Marshon Lattimore CB OHIO STATE
1/32 Ryan Ramczyk OT WISCONSIN
2/42 Marcus Williams S UTAH
3/67 Alvin Kamara RB TENNESSEE
3/76 Alex Anzalone ILB FLORIDA
3/103 Trey Hendrickson DE FLORIDA ATLANTIC
6/196 Al-Quadin Muhammad DE MIAMI
Buffalo Bills

Post-draft grade: A-

This is a great class, and it gets a boost with Buffalo picking up an extra first-round pick in 2018 for trading down from No. 10 with Kansas City. The Bills already have used that extra draft capital to get in contention to move up in April's draft and pick their quarterback of the future, though they still like fifth-round pick Nathan Peterman -- I wrote last year that I wouldn't be surprised if Peterman, now known for his disastrous five-interception debut, "is the starter in a year or two" -- and added AJ McCarron on a short-term deal. After moving on from Tyrod Taylor, they have to find an answer there. This was a 2017 playoff team, but the Bills overachieved.

As for the picks, first-round cornerback Tre'Davious White started every game and had four interceptions. Now they need to figure out the spot across from him. Dion Dawkins was so good filling in for Cordy Glenn at left tackle that Buffalo traded Glenn and installed Dawkins on the blind side. Linebacker Matt Milano had 43 tackles in limited snaps and looks like a useful Day 3 pick. I liked the pick of wide receiver Zay Jones on Day 2, but he did not have a great rookie season, catching only 27 of 74 targets.

If Jones improves and Peterman turns into a competent starter, this class is an A without question.

New grade: B+

1/27 Tre'Davious White CB LSU
2/37 Zay Jones WR EAST CAROLINA
2/63 Dion Dawkins G TEMPLE
5/163 Matt Milano OLB BOSTON COLLEGE
5/171 Nathan Peterman QB PITTSBURGH
6/195 Tanner Vallejo OLB BOISE STATE
Houston Texans

Post-draft grade: C+

Let's get this out of the way: I've been accused of hating Deshaun Watson. That's just not true. In reality, I ranked him as my No. 3 quarterback in a class that wasn't very deep. I had him No. 34 on my Big Board, which put him at the top of the second round. I liked him, but I thought he had some flaws.

Houston obviously thought a lot of him, moving up 13 spots and giving up its first-rounder in 2018. What happened next? After a rocky first half from Tom Savage in Week 1, Watson starred, throwing 19 touchdown passes in only six starts. As I noted with regard to my All-Rookie team, that's more passing TDs than Joe Flacco, Tyrod Taylor and Marcus Mariota had all season. Bill O'Brien did a fantastic job of tailoring the offense to Watson's strengths -- more movement passes, more run-pass options -- and the Texans were legitimately fun to watch. Then it all came crashing down when Watson tore his ACL in practice in early November. Houston went 1-8 afterward. And those 2018 picks it dealt to Cleveland to get Watson (and get rid of Brock Osweiler) ended up being extremely valuable -- Nos. 4 and 35 overall.

Now, I suspect the Texans' front office would make those moves again in a heartbeat. Watson could be a superstar (though two ACL injuries is a concern), and finding a superstar at quarterback can change the direction of a franchise. Even after a 4-12 season, this team is headed in the right direction -- assuming Watson returns healthy.

Houston also got production out of linebacker Zach Cunningham (82 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble) and running back D'Onta Foreman (two touchdowns before tearing his Achilles in November). Day 3 picks Julien Davenport, Carlos Watkins and Kyle Fuller all started games too, while undrafted free agent Dylan Cole had 32 total tackles and two interceptions in part-time duty.

So that's a lot of production from rookies, but it's not quite an A because of what it gave up in 2018.

1/12 Deshaun Watson QB CLEMSON
2/57 Zach Cunningham ILB VANDERBILT
3/89 D'Onta Foreman RB TEXAS
4/130 Julien Davenport OT BUCKNELL
4/142 Carlos Watkins DT CLEMSON
5/169 Treston Decoud CB OREGON STATE
7/243 Kyle Fuller C BAYLOR

Jacksonville Jaguars

I quibbled with the Jaguars taking Leonard Fournette at No. 4 overall -- if I were a GM, I've long said I'd never take a running back anywhere close to the top 10 -- but there's no denying his immediate impact. He had 1,040 yards (only 3.9 yards per carry) and nine touchdowns, plus another 36 catches for 302 yards. That catch total is almost identical to his total in three seasons at LSU, so it's an example of a college system sometimes working against a player's strengths -- Fournette has decent hands. He also added four rushing touchdowns in the playoffs as the Jags were a few plays away from making the Super Bowl. It's a defensible top pick for Tom Coughlin's first draft back in charge.

The Jacksonville offense wants to be run-first with Blake Bortles at the helm, and second-round pick Cam Robinson, who was forced to play left tackle immediately after Branden Albert retired, had a strong rookie season. He started 18 of the Jags' 19 games, though his 10 total penalties was among the most in the league. The Jaguars also added deep threats for Bortles in Dede Westbrook, who had 27 catches for 339 yards and a touchdown in just seven games, and undrafted free agent Keelan Cole, who averaged 17.8 yards per catch and had 748 receiving yards. They'll have to step up with Allen Robinson gone, but those are stellar starts. Two more undrafted free agents -- linebacker Donald Payne (12 special-teams tackles) and defensive tackle Eli Ankou (15 tackles, 1.5 sacks) -- pitched in.

Jacksonville is clearly trending up, and it will have a handful of 2018 starters from this class. That's impressive. Now it gets to pick outside the top 10 for the first time since 2007. Yes, seriously.

1/4 Leonard Fournette RB LSU
2/34 Cam Robinson OT ALABAMA
3/68 Dawuane Smoot DE ILLINOIS
4/110 Dede Westbrook WR OKLAHOMA
5/148 Blair Brown ILB OHIO
7/222 Jalen Myrick CB MINNESOTA
7/240 Marquez Williams FB MIAMI
Philadelphia Eagles

Post-draft grade: B+

Here's what I wrote to close out the Eagles' grade last year: "It's not a home run class, but the Eagles got better."

Well, yeah. Did anyone last April think that these Eagles could win Super Bowl LII? But they made some really smart free-agent signings and trades, their sophomore quarterback took a huge leap (and their backup starred in clutch time) and the rookie class produced a few guys who helped push them over the line.

Pass-rusher Derek Barnett had six total sacks (one in the playoffs), cornerback Rasul Douglas chipped in with two interceptions and seven pass breakups, and wide receiver Mack Hollins added 16 catches, including one for a touchdown, and will likely play a much bigger role in 2018. Undrafted running back Corey Clement played his way onto the field and had six regular-season touchdowns. We also have to count kicker Jake Elliott, the fifth-round pick by the Bengals who was cut and picked up by Philadelphia. He only went on to make some clutch kicks in the Super Bowl (and miss an extra point, to be fair).

This is a solid class, and it could be in the A territory at this time next year if cornerback Sidney Jones sees more playing time after sitting out most of 2017 with an Achilles injury.

1/14 Derek Barnett DE TENNESSEE
2/43 Sidney Jones CB WASHINGTON
3/99 Rasul Douglas CB WEST VIRGINIA
4/118 Mack Hollins WR NORTH CAROLINA
4/132 Donnel Pumphrey RB SAN DIEGO STATE
5/166 Shelton Gibson WR WEST VIRGINIA
5/184 Nathan Gerry S NEBRASKA
6/214 Elijah Qualls DT WASHINGTON
Pittsburgh Steelers

The Steelers filled their top needs on my board with their first three picks, and two of those three had productive rookie seasons. Pass-rusher T.J. Watt was tied for second in sacks among rookies with seven and also had 52 total tackles and an interception. Wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster led all rookies in receiving yards (917) and touchdowns (seven) while averaging 15.8 yards per catch. I wrote last year that Smith-Schuster has No. 1 receiver potential, but I didn't think he'd be this good this early. He could be a star -- on an already-loaded offense. Third-round cornerback Cameron Sutton, meanwhile, played only 108 defensive snaps.

Running back James Conner played sparingly and will sit behind Le'Veon Bell for at least one more season. Quarterback Joshua Dobbs took a redshirt year. The Steelers used a sixth-round pick on long-snapper Colin Holba, cut him, and then Holba landed in Jacksonville, playing in the Jags' divisional-round upset over Pittsburgh.

Smith-Schuster's emergence and Watt's steady play keep this grade the same, and I expect Sutton to have a much bigger role -- potentially in a move to safety -- in 2018.

1/30 T.J. Watt OLB WISCONSIN
2/62 JuJu Smith-Schuster WR USC
3/94 Cameron Sutton CB TENNESSEE
3/105 James Conner RB PITTSBURGH
4/135 Joshua Dobbs QB TENNESSEE
5/173 Brian Allen CB UTAH
6/213 Colin Holba LS LOUISVILLE
7/248 Keion Adams DE WESTERN MICHIGAN
San Francisco 49ers

I had quarterback down as one of the 49ers' top draft needs, but I thought they reached for C.J. Beathard in the third round. He ended up starting five games (and playing poorly) until John Lynch & Co. dealt for Jimmy Garoppolo at the trade deadline, and now Beathard is entrenched as the No. 2. After winning five straight to close the season with Jimmy G at the helm, the 49ers feel good about their future.

Elsewhere in Lynch's first draft, top pick Solomon Thomas had 41 tackles and three sacks in 12 starts. I expect much more in Year 2. Reuben Foster, for whom the 49ers traded back into the first round, was an absolute stud when he was on the field, with seven tackles for loss and 72 total tackles in 10 games. He's the reason the 49ers parted ways with longtime middle linebacker NaVorro Bowman, but Foster's off-field issues could derail his career. Tight end George Kittle had a heck of a first year, catching 43 passes for 515 yards and two touchdowns. San Francisco also got useful contributions from cornerback Ahkello Witherspoon (two interceptions in nine starts), wide receiver Trent Taylor (43 catches, 430 yards, two TDs) and cornerback Adrian Colbert (32 tackles, two forced fumbles, one interception). And undrafted free agents Matt Breida and Kendrick Bourne played too.

This is a deep class, but it's not an A. Foster's future and Thomas' ceiling are still question marks.

1/3 Solomon Thomas DT STANFORD
1/31 Reuben Foster ILB ALABAMA
3/66 Ahkello Witherspoon CB COLORADO
3/104 C.J. Beathard QB IOWA
4/121 Joe Williams RB UTAH
5/146 George Kittle TE IOWA
5/177 Trent Taylor WR LOUISIANA TECH
6/198 D.J. Jones DT OLE MISS
6/202 Pita Taumoepenu DE UTAH
7/229 Adrian Colbert CB MIAMI
Green Bay Packers

This was a solid (if unspectacular) haul, as it looks like the Packers' first two picks will be starters in the secondary in 2018. Cornerback Kevin King, who I thought could have been a first-round pick, had 27 tackles and four pass breakups and started five games, but a shoulder injury ended his season early. Safety Josh Jones had 67 tackles, two sacks and an interception in seven starts and appears likely to take over for free agent Morgan Burnett.

Day 3 running backs Jamaal Williams and Aaron Jones combined for 1,004 rushing yards and 10 total touchdowns while filling in for Ty Montgomery. They might have flown under the radar because of a deep running back class, but Green Bay's depth here is tremendous. Third-round pick Montravius Adams played only 60 defensive snaps because of a foot injury, and fourth-round pick Vince Biegel was mostly a special-teams contributor.

New grade: B

2/33 Kevin King CB WASHINGTON
2/61 Josh Jones S NC STATE
3/93 Montravius Adams DT AUBURN
4/108 Vince Biegel OLB WISCONSIN
4/134 Jamaal Williams RB BYU
5/175 Deangelo Yancey WR PURDUE
5/182 Aaron Jones RB UTEP
6/212 Kofi Amichia G SOUTH FLORIDA
7/238 Devante Mays RB UTAH STATE
7/247 Malachi Dupre WR LSU
Kansas City Chiefs

The Chiefs made the big trade to move up and get their quarterback, taking Patrick Mahomes off the board before other QB-needy teams got the chance. Here's what I wrote about this class last year: " ... this class will hinge on Patrick Mahomes because Kansas City bet big that he's the successor to Alex Smith. Giving up a third-round pick and next year's first to move up 17 spots was a ton for a team with immediate needs elsewhere and some defenders getting up there in age."

Now Smith is gone to Washington, and Mahomes is the guy. We know he's raw. We know he's toolsy. We don't know how good he's going to be in 2018. But Kansas City likes him enough to hand over the keys to the offense, and I think the new front office -- GM John Dorsey is now in Cleveland -- is just fine with how that deal turned out.

Kansas City had two huge contributors in this class and virtually nothing beyond that. Kareem Hunt was an absolute steal in Round 3, leading the NFL in rushing (1,327 yards) and scoring 11 total touchdowns. He's a guy to build around. Then there's kicker Harrison Butker, who was drafted in the seventh round by Carolina but ended up setting records for the Chiefs after being signed off the practice squad early in the season.

This class could go down as an all-timer if Mahomes stars and Hunt has a good career. Based on 2017 production, though, it was in the middle of the pack.

1/10 Patrick Mahomes II QB TEXAS TECH
2/59 Tanoh Kpassagnon DE VILLANOVA
3/86 Kareem Hunt RB TOLEDO
4/139 Jehu Chesson WR MICHIGAN
5/183 Marcus Eligwe ILB GEORGIA SOUTHERN
6/218 Leon McQuay III S USC
Los Angeles Chargers

Post-draft grade: A

This was one of my favorite classes when the draft ended, and I still like the long-term outlook. But it has to get dinged, and injuries played a huge part. Top pick Mike Williams never quite looked himself after hurting his back over the summer, finishing with only 11 catches in 10 games. And second-round pick Forrest Lamp, my top-ranked guard, tore his ACL in the preseason and never got onto the field.

The best player in this class was fifth-round pick Desmond King, the Chargers' primary slot cornerback, who finished with 71 tackles, four sacks and an interception. Guard Dan Feeney started nine games and is an important part of the team's future. L.A. also got key contributions from two undrafted free agents: Austin Ekeler averaged 5.5 yards per carry and pitched in 27 catches, while Michael Davis had 14 special-teams tackles.

This can still be a really solid class if Williams is healthy in Year 2 and if Lamp becomes a solid starter at the other guard spot. Coming off a 9-7 season in a wide-open AFC West, why can't the Chargers win the division in 2018? Philip Rivers has weapons, and the defense is loaded with young talent.

1/7 Mike Williams WR CLEMSON
2/38 Forrest Lamp G WESTERN KENTUCKY
3/71 Dan Feeney G INDIANA
4/113 Rayshawn Jenkins S MIAMI
5/151 Desmond King CB IOWA
6/190 Sam Tevi OT UTAH
7/225 Isaac Rochell DE NOTRE DAME
Los Angeles Rams

Post-draft grade: C-

This was my lowest-graded class last April. Here's what I wrote at the time: "It would be a lot easier to stamp this draft grade "INCOMPLETE" and move on, because so much of it is wrapped up in Jared Goff. He is the reason they didn't have a first-round pick in 2017, and I certainly don't think it's fair to close the book on him."

You know what happened next. Goff put up 28 touchdown passes to only seven picks under new coach Sean McVay, and the Rams won the NFC West. It was a massive improvement across the board (don't forget about what Wade Phillips did with that defense, too).

This class had several productive pieces. Cooper Kupp was the Rams' primary slot receiver, catching 62 passes for 869 yards and five touchdowns. I had receivers ranked higher on my board in the third round, but there's no doubt he was one of the most physically ready wideouts in the entire class. (He did drop five passes.) Tight end Gerald Everett flashed at times but ended the season with only 16 catches and two touchdowns. I expect more targets for him in Year 2. John Johnson started 11 games at safety and had 71 tackles, an interception and five pass breakups, but I think the Rams could still look to upgrade. Wide receiver Josh Reynolds had a touchdown catch. Linebacker Samson Ebukam had 31 tackles and two sacks.

All in all, this is a steady class that might not have a star. But that's OK -- they traded their first-round pick to grab Goff the year before.

2/44 Gerald Everett TE SOUTH ALABAMA
3/69 Cooper Kupp WR EASTERN WASHINGTON
3/91 John Johnson S BOSTON COLLEGE
4/117 Josh Reynolds WR TEXAS A&M
4/125 Samson Ebukam OLB EASTERN WASHINGTON
6/189 Tanzel Smart DT TULANE
6/206 Sam Rogers FB VIRGINIA TECH
7/234 Ejuan Price OLB PITTSBURGH
Mar 22 2018 07:35pm
Minnesota Vikings

As I wrote last year, the Vikings' offensive line in 2016 was a complete disaster. In 2017? Much, much better thanks to a couple of free-agent signings and the selection of center Pat Elflein in Round 3. He was my top-ranked center and an immediate upgrade.

Outside of Elflein, though, this class didn't offer much in Year 1. Dalvin Cook was off to a fantastic start with 354 rushing yards on 4.8 yards per carry with two touchdowns before he tore his ACL in October. The offense was so improved as the season went along, but the loss of Cook was huge. Let's hope he recovers fully. Linebacker Ben Gedeon started a few games but made the most impact on special teams, where he had 12 tackles. Defensive tackle Jaleel Johnson played only 39 defensive snaps, and the rest of the Vikings' Day 3 picks didn't contribute. (I said last year that I liked 6-foot-6 tight end Bucky Hodges in the sixth round as a pass-catcher with upside, but he didn't make the roster.)

Minnesota didn't have a first-round pick because of the Sam Bradford trade -- Philadelphia took pass-rusher Derek Barnett at No. 14 with Minnesota's original pick -- but this was a decent haul for the picks the team had.

2/41 Dalvin Cook RB FLORIDA STATE
3/70 Pat Elflein C OHIO STATE
4/109 Jaleel Johnson DT IOWA
4/120 Ben Gedeon ILB MICHIGAN
5/170 Rodney Adams WR SOUTH FLORIDA
5/180 Danny Isidora G MIAMI
6/201 Bucky Hodges TE VIRGINIA TECH
7/219 Stacy Coley WR MIAMI
7/220 Ifeadi Odenigbo DE NORTHWESTERN
7/232 Elijah Lee OLB KANSAS STATE
7/245 Jack Tocho CB NC STATE
New York Jets

The Jets' top needs in 2017? Quarterback and offensive tackle. The Jets' top needs in 2018? Quarterback and offensive tackle. Yes, they're still looking for franchise players at both positions, but I wrote last year that the reason I didn't ding them for not addressing those positions was that they drafted the best player available throughout the class and didn't reach. That's a strategy I can get behind, even as I see holes all over this roster.

One position where there aren't holes, though, is safety, as top picks Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye each started all 16 games and worked through growing pains to have impressive seasons. This is a young duo with high upside and is the biggest reason this grade doesn't drop too much. The biggest contributor in the rest of the class was sixth-round running back Elijah McGuire, who had 315 rushing yards (on only 3.6 yards per carry) and two total touchdowns. Wide receivers ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hansen combined for only 15 catches and 176 yards.

GM Mike Maccagnan also traded down for extra picks four times and picked up an extra fifth-rounder in 2018. And he's already trading picks to maneuver for the 2018 draft.

1/6 Jamal Adams S LSU
2/39 Marcus Maye S FLORIDA
3/79 ArDarius Stewart WR ALABAMA
4/141 Chad Hansen WR CALIFORNIA
5/150 Jordan Leggett TE CLEMSON
5/181 Dylan Donahue DE WEST GEORGIA
6/188 Elijah McGuire RB UL LAFAYETTE
6/197 Jeremy Clark CB MICHIGAN
6/204 Derrick Jones CB OLE MISS
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

The Bucs underachieved in 2017, but their rookie class can't really be blamed. If there's one complaint, it's that Tampa didn't address its pass rush, and it ended up ranking last in the league with only 22 sacks. A good pass rush covers up flaws elsewhere, and those flaws showed up all over the defense -- the Bucs were last in passing defense. New signing Vinny Curry should help, but this is a spot the Bucs have to address in April.

I loved the O.J. Howard pick, and the big Alabama tight end had six touchdowns on 26 catches. He and Cameron Brate can be one of the NFL's best tandems. I thought safety Justin Evans in Round 2 was a reach, but he had 65 tackles and three interceptions, flashing at times. Kendell Beckwith dropped to the third round because of a torn ACL late in his LSU career, and he showed his talent as a rookie, compiling 73 tackles, one forced fumble and one sack while playing middle linebacker. Chris Godwin had 34 catches for 525 yards and a touchdown.

With only six picks, that's a good hit rate for GM Jason Licht, but he has to get the defense fixed in a hurry in 2018.

1/19 O.J. Howard TE ALABAMA
2/50 Justin Evans S TEXAS A&M
3/84 Chris Godwin WR PENN STATE
3/107 Kendell Beckwith ILB LSU
5/162 Jeremy McNichols RB BOISE STATE
7/223 Stevie Tu'Ikolovatu DT USC
Atlanta Falcons

Post-draft grade: B-

Finding a pass-rusher was the Falcons' No. 1 priority going into the draft, and they traded up for Takkarist McKinley, who stood out in a rotational role. He had six sacks and two forced fumbles in only 381 regular-season snaps, then added two more sacks in the postseason. The reason this grade isn't dropping much is that McKinley looks like he could be a star when he takes full-time reps, which should come in 2018.

Elsewhere, linebacker Duke Riley started six games and had 24 tackles. Cornerback Damontae Kazee had 23 total tackles in limited snaps. And tight end Eric Saubert and offensive tackle Sean Harlow both made the roster. The notable miss was fifth-round pick Brian Hill, who was released by the Falcons and then saw some playing time with the Bengals.

This isn't a deep class, but McKinley's high ceiling keeps it above a C.

New grade: B-

1/26 Takkarist McKinley OLB UCLA
3/75 Duke Riley ILB LSU
4/136 Sean Harlow OT OREGON STATE
5/149 Damontae Kazee CB SAN DIEGO STATE
5/156 Brian Hill RB WYOMING
5/174 Eric Saubert TE DRAKE
Cleveland Browns

There was a lot of good in this class. First overall pick Myles Garrett was an absolute monster when he was on the field, racking up seven sacks and 18 quarterback knockdowns. Safety Jabrill Peppers had some growing pains in a deeper role but improved when he was moved closer to the line. Tight end David Njoku flashed with 32 catches for 386 yards and four touchdowns. Defensive tackles Larry Ogunjobi and Caleb Brantley were useful in the rotation. Seventh-round pick Matthew Dayes was a decent kick returner. Kicker Zane Gonzalez got better as the season progressed. Cleveland landed the No. 4 overall pick in 2018 by trading down with Houston.

There was also a lot of bad in this class, which should be expected for a team that went 0-16. Quarterback Deshone Kizer was a turnover machine and probably never should have been playing, and Cleveland has already moved on from him. Garrett played only 500 snaps after dealing with an ankle injury. Peppers played out of position for a good chunk of the season. Oh, and Cleveland missed on its quarterback of the future by trading down with the Texans and not taking Deshaun Watson.

Look, that's always going to be the "What if?" for this class. The front office focused on building up draft capital and missed on Watson. Now that regime is out, and the Browns are in the same position, with the Nos. 1 and 4 picks in April's draft, plus a bevy of Day 2 picks. Will they hit on a quarterback this time? If not, people will still talk about Watson and what could have been. But there are some good pieces in this class, and what the new front office does with its 2018 picks will have a big effect on how we look back at the 2017 draft.

1/1 Myles Garrett DE TEXAS A&M
1/25 Jabrill Peppers S MICHIGAN
1/29 David Njoku TE MIAMI
2/52 DeShone Kizer QB NOTRE DAME
3/65 Larry Ogunjobi DT CHARLOTTE
4/126 Howard Wilson CB HOUSTON
5/160 Roderick Johnson OT FLORIDA STATE
6/185 Caleb Brantley DT FLORIDA
7/224 Zane Gonzalez K ARIZONA STATE
7/252 Matthew Dayes RB NC STATE
Dallas Cowboys

I wrote at the time that I would have gone with a defensive back over Taco Charlton at No. 28 because Charlton isn't a premier pass-rusher. He wasn't even a Day 1 pick on my board. He had three sacks for the Cowboys but didn't pop on the tape, and I don't think that need opposite DeMarcus Lawrence is filled.

I did like Dallas' Day 2 picks, however, and cornerbacks Chidobe Awuzie and Jourdan Lewis are both big parts of the Cowboys' future. Awuzie injured his hamstring in training camp and started slowly but was much better down the stretch, finishing with an interception, five pass breakups and a forced fumble in six starts. Lewis, who also had a hamstring issue, finished with an interception and seven pass breakups over seven starts.

Dallas also got solid snaps from sixth-round pick Xavier Woods (one INT and 40 tackles in four starts), who might replace former first-round pick Byron Jones as starting safety. Utility man Ryan Switzer was a reach early on Day 3, and he didn't play many offensive snaps, though he did have a punt return touchdown and was decent on kickoffs.

I wrote last year that "seven of nine picks on defense show that Dallas knows it has to improve there to be a true Super Bowl contender." Well, the Cowboys' defense is still an issue, and it showed in a disappointing season.

1/28 Taco Charlton DE MICHIGAN
2/60 Chidobe Awuzie CB COLORADO
3/92 Jourdan Lewis CB MICHIGAN
4/133 Ryan Switzer WR NORTH CAROLINA
6/191 Xavier Woods S LOUISIANA TECH
6/216 Marquez White CB FLORIDA STATE
7/228 Joey Ivie DT FLORIDA
7/239 Noah Brown WR OHIO STATE
7/246 Jordan Carrell DT COLORADO
New York Giants

The bottom fell out on the Giants in 2017, as they went from a wild-card team in 2016 all the way to 3-13, costing Ben McAdoo his job. Losing Odell Beckham Jr. and Brandon Marshall for most of the season was a killer, but the defense also regressed big-time.

One bright spot was Evan Engram, who led all rookies in targets (111) and caught 64 passes for 722 yards and six touchdowns (though he had six drops, too). Is he a tight end or a receiver? The Giants didn't ask him to block too much, and at 6-3, 240, Engram has a long ways to go until he's a competent blocker in the running game. With Beckham back in 2018, the Giants' offensive outlook looks much better. Now what are they going to do with the No. 2 overall pick?

Elsewhere, Wayne Gallman showed promise, averaging 4.3 yards per rush on his 111 carries and catching 34 passes. He'll have to fight for snaps with new signing Jonathan Stewart and Paul Perkins in 2018, though. Defensive tackle Dalvin Tomlinson started every game, finishing the season with 50 tackles. He's a two-down run-stuffer. Undrafted free agents Calvin Munson and Chad Wheeler combined to start 10 games.

Ultimately this class might be judged on whether third-round quarterback Davis Webb, who didn't see the field in Year 1, pans out. Will he be Manning's long-term replacement? Will new GM Dave Gettleman take a quarterback in 2018 who passes up Webb? The former Cal QB has some talent, but I didn't see him as a surefire NFL starter -- he was my eighth-ranked signal-caller.

1/23 Evan Engram TE OLE MISS
2/55 Dalvin Tomlinson DT ALABAMA
3/87 Davis Webb QB CALIFORNIA
4/140 Wayne Gallman RB CLEMSON
5/167 Avery Moss DE YOUNGSTOWN STATE
6/200 Adam Bisnowaty G PITTSBURGH
Washington Redskins

Injuries really hurt this class, but I like the outlook overall. Top pick Jonathan Allen, the No. 2 overall player on my board, dropped all the way to Washington at No. 17, and he was starting to come on before a Lisfranc injury in October ended his season. Safety Montae Nicholson flashed in six starts before injuring his shoulder and then suffering from concussion symptoms, and he missed most of the second half of the season.

I liked Day 2 picks Ryan Anderson and Fabian Moreau, but they barely saw the field. Moreau, who put up elite numbers at the combine (4.35 40, 38-inch vertical) was seen as a project, so maybe he will see more time in Year 2. Running back Samaje Perine had almost 200 touches but averaged only 3.4 yards per carry. At 5-10, 236, he's never going to be a big-play threat, but he has to be better at the goal line.

This Washington class has a lot to prove in 2018.

1/17 Jonathan Allen DT ALABAMA
2/49 Ryan Anderson OLB ALABAMA
3/81 Fabian Moreau CB UCLA
4/114 Samaje Perine RB OKLAHOMA
4/123 Montae Nicholson S MICHIGAN STATE
5/154 Jeremy Sprinkle TE ARKANSAS
6/199 Chase Roullier C WYOMING
6/209 Robert Davis WR GEORGIA STATE
7/230 Josh Harvey-Clemons S LOUISVILLE
7/235 Josh Holsey CB AUBURN
Arizona Cardinals

Kansas City and Houston both leaped above Arizona in the first round to take quarterbacks, so the Cardinals didn't end up taking a quarterback at all. And now that Carson Palmer has retired, their succession plan involves ... Sam Bradford and Mike Glennon? In hindsight, of course, it's easy to say the front office should have moved up one pick to take Deshaun Watson, but we don't know what their draft board looked like. We don't know if they actually liked any of these quarterbacks. Regardless, the quarterback position is still a big question mark.

Haason Reddick, the versatile linebacker they picked at No. 13, had an up-and-down season playing inside and outside 'backer. He had 32 tackles, 2.5 sacks and two forced fumbles but looked out of place at times on the edge. I think he's better served in the middle, where he played while Deone Bucannon was out injured. The gem of this class was undoubtedly Budda Baker, who made the Pro Bowl as a special-teams player (16 tackles) and had 58 tackles, a sack and two forced fumbles in only 484 defensive snaps. The defensive back I compared to Tyrann Mathieu is a big reason the Honey Badger is no longer in Arizona.

I thought wide receiver Chad Williams was a reach on Day 2, and he had only three catches. Will Holden got a handful of starts at offensive tackle. Fourth-round pick Dorian Johnson didn't even make the roster out of camp. Undrafted tight end Ricky Seals-Jones is an intriguing size/speed talent who had 12 catches.

The Cardinals are trending down, but they have some talent on their roster.

New grade: C+

1/13 Haason Reddick ILB TEMPLE
2/36 Budda Baker S WASHINGTON
3/98 Chad Williams WR GRAMBLING
4/115 Dorian Johnson G PITTSBURGH
5/157 Will Holden OT VANDERBILT
5/179 T.J. Logan RB NORTH CAROLINA
6/208 Rudy Ford S AUBURN
Baltimore Ravens

Baltimore went defense-heavy in this class and then didn't play the rookies, outside of first-round pick Marlon Humphrey. He had two interceptions and six pass breakups while starting five games and is going to be a really good player. The Ravens' next three picks? Pass-rusher Tyus Bowser, who flashed with three sacks and an interception in only 159 snaps, defensive tackle Chris Wormley, who played only 117 snaps, and Tim Williams, one of the best pure pass-rushers in this class, who played only 122 snaps. That's disappointing.

On offense, fourth-round pick Nico Siragusa tore up his knee in camp and missed the season. Jermaine Eluemunor was forced to start two games at guard. That's it.

The reason this grade isn't lower is that they hit their top needs. Now those guys need to pan out in Year 2. I also noted last year that tight end O.J. Howard "was there for the taking at No. 16." And that position is still a big-time need in 2018.

1/16 Marlon Humphrey CB ALABAMA
2/47 Tyus Bowser OLB HOUSTON
3/74 Chris Wormley DT MICHIGAN
3/78 Tim Williams OLB ALABAMA
4/122 Nico Siragusa G SAN DIEGO STATE
5/159 Jermaine Eluemunor OT TEXAS A&M
6/186 Chuck Clark S VIRGINIA TECH
Carolina Panthers

I made the note last year of the head-scratching pick of taking Curtis Samuel in Round 2 after taking Christian McCaffrey in Round 1, especially with needs on both lines. They are similarly versatile playmakers who can help in the passing game, but could Carolina get them on the field at the same time? Well, the answer was no, as Samuel played only 21.2 percent of the Panthers' offensive snaps, finishing with 15 catches for 115 yards. That's not enough for the 40th overall pick.

McCaffrey was my top-ranked running back, and I think he's going to be a stud. But while he had 80 catches and five receiving touchdowns, he struggled between the tackles and averaged only 3.7 yards per carry. The rushing offense was still good -- Cam Newton masks a lot of deficiencies, and he had a career-high 139 carries -- but it's curious that McCaffrey and recently released Jonathan Stewart (3.4 yards per carry) never got going behind an expensive offensive line.

The Panthers didn't get much else from the rest of this class. I thought Taylor Moton might move to guard, but he played only 62 offensive snaps. Could he be Andrew Norwell's in-house replacement in 2018 and beyond? Defensive end Daeshon Hall and cornerback Corn Elder both had knee injuries and spent most of the year on injured reserve. Carolina cut kicker Harrison Butker in training camp, and the seventh-rounder went on to break records for the Chiefs.

1/8 Christian McCaffrey RB STANFORD
2/40 Curtis Samuel WR OHIO STATE
2/64 Taylor Moton OT WESTERN MICHIGAN
3/77 Daeshon Hall DE TEXAS A&M
5/152 Corn Elder CB MIAMI
6/192 Alexander Armah DE WEST GEORGIA
7/233 Harrison Butker K GEORGIA TECH
Chicago Bears

Here's what I wrote about this class last year: "Chicago's class is all about quarterback Mitchell Trubisky. The question is whether the current coaching staff will get to experience it."

So yeah, John Fox is out, and Matt Nagy is in. That should mean a more modern offense for Trubisky, who ran the spread at North Carolina and has the athleticism to throw on the run and use run-pass-option concepts. That's just not what he did in 2017, and it showed, as Trubisky had the second-worst Total QBR in the league (29.2), even behind DeShone Kizer. Trubisky had only seven touchdown passes to seven interceptions and completed just 59.4 percent of his passes in his 12 starts after taking over for Mike Glennon. There's still a lot of unknown here -- we don't know if Trubisky is the Bears' quarterback of the future just yet.

Safety Eddie Jackson and running back Tarik Cohen, both Day 3 picks, were the best players in this class. Jackson started every game and had 70 tackles, two interceptions and two defensive touchdowns, while Cohen averaged 4.3 yards per carry, snagged 53 catches and was an early fantasy darling, though he didn't put up big numbers down the stretch. He did add a punt return touchdown.

Adam Shaheen is a Division II tight end who faced a steep learning curve, but he had three touchdown catches. It's notable, though, that Chicago went out in free agency and got a No. 1 tight end in Trey Burton, so maybe they don't think Shaheen is quite ready for a bigger workload.

Overall, there are some intriguing developmental players here, and Bears fans are hoping their quarterback takes a huge Year 2 leap in an offense designed around his strengths.

1/2 Mitchell Trubisky QB NORTH CAROLINA
2/45 Adam Shaheen TE ASHLAND UNIVERSITY
4/112 Eddie Jackson S ALABAMA
4/119 Tarik Cohen RB NORTH CAROLINA A&T
5/147 Jordan Morgan G KUTZTOWN UNIVERSITY
Mar 22 2018 07:36pm
Cincinnati Bengals

It really can't get much worse than John Ross' rookie season. This was a top-10 pick who I noted came with risk, as the 5-11, 190-pound wide receiver was coming off shoulder surgery and had missed time in college with a knee injury. Ross never earned the trust of the coaching staff, and he couldn't get on the field. He had one touch all season -- on a reverse -- and he fumbled. Then coach Marvin Lewis said in December that Ross admitted to concealing another shoulder injury. It was a disastrous start to an NFL career for a super-talented playmaker. It can only get better in 2018. (Right?)

Elsewhere, Joe Mixon showed promise at times, but the second-round running back averaged only 3.5 yards per carry behind a porous offensive line. He did add 30 catches for 287 yards. I liked Jordan Willis, the Bengals' other Day 2 pick, but he had only one sack and 25 tackles. Defensive tackle Ryan Glasgow and linebacker Jordan Evans combined to start five games.

The steal of this class was undoubtedly Carl Lawson, who led all rookies in sacks (8.5) and had 21 quarterback knockdowns. A former five-star recruit who dropped to the fourth round because of his injury history, Lawson has a high ceiling, and I wouldn't be surprised if he became an All-Pro.

It also has to be noted that the Bengals took a kicker in the fifth round. He didn't make the roster ... then went on to kick three field goals in the Super Bowl for the Eagles. There's a reason Marvin Lewis & Co. are on the hot seat.

1/9 John Ross WR WASHINGTON
2/48 Joe Mixon RB OKLAHOMA
3/73 Jordan Willis DE KANSAS STATE
4/116 Carl Lawson DE AUBURN
4/128 Josh Malone WR TENNESSEE
4/138 Ryan Glasgow DT MICHIGAN
5/153 Jake Elliott K MEMPHIS
5/176 J.J. Dielman C UTAH
6/193 Jordan Evans ILB OKLAHOMA
6/207 Brandon Wilson CB HOUSTON
7/251 Mason Schreck TE BUFFALO
Detroit Lions

I questioned last year whether the Lions filled their needs here, and now in 2018 they still need a pass-rusher and running back. (Sorry, Lions fans, LeGarrette Blount isn't the answer.) So while I liked linebacker Jarrad Davis, there were pass-rushers available at pick 20 -- Charles Harris, Takkarist McKinley and T. J. Watt -- who could have helped. And there were running backs on Days 2 and 3 who definitely could have helped the worst rushing offense in the league.

Davis had a solid season, leading all rookies with 96 tackles and adding two sacks, an interception and a forced fumble. Cornerback Teez Tabor had a poor pre-draft process -- he ran a 4.62 40-yard dash at the combine -- and I thought the Lions reached in the second round. He ended up playing less than 200 snaps and being a healthy inactive for a few games. Wide receiver Kenny Golladay lit up training camp and had two touchdowns in Week 1 but injured his hamstring in Week 3. He had only one more TD the rest of the way but did average 17 yards per catch. Cornerback Jamal Agnew played only 65 defensive snaps but starred as a punt returner, averaging 15.4 yards per return with two touchdowns and being named first-team All-Pro. (Sorry, Lions fans, I accidentally omitted Agnew on the first iteration of these re-grades.)

I'm keeping this grade the same, but this class has a lower ceiling than a few other C-pluses.

1/21 Jarrad Davis ILB FLORIDA
2/53 Teez Tabor CB FLORIDA
3/96 Kenny Golladay WR NORTHERN ILLINOIS
4/124 Jalen Reeves-Maybin OLB TENNESSEE
4/127 Michael Roberts TE TOLEDO
5/165 Jamal Agnew CB SAN DIEGO
6/205 Jeremiah Ledbetter DE ARKANSAS
6/215 Brad Kaaya QB MIAMI
7/250 Pat O'Connor DE EASTERN MICHIGAN
Indianapolis Colts

The Colts had one of the league's worst rosters from top to bottom when GM Chris Ballard took over last year, and he made a ton of changes. Coming off a 4-12 season, they still have one of the league's worst rosters, and there's a long way to go to rebuild it. They went defense-heavy early in this draft, but injuries hurt them. Safety Malik Hooker had three interceptions in seven games before tearing his ACL and MCL in his right knee. Cornerback Quincy Wilson had an interception but missed nine games with a knee injury.

The other notable contributors all came on Day 3 or were undrafted: Running back Marlon Mack had three touchdowns but averaged only 3.8 yards per carry. Cornerbacks Nate Hairston and Kenny Moore combined for 68 tackles, two interceptions and nine pass breakups, and Hairston was the primary nickel corner. Grover Stewart, a 333-pound plugger, had 23 tackles in limited snaps. Offensive lineman Deyshawn Bond, linebacker Anthony Walker and tight end Darrell Daniels also made starts.

As you can see, this isn't a star-studded class, and there are still some unknowns about their late picks. Were they playing because of injuries or are they legitimate future starters or rotation pieces?

1/15 Malik Hooker S OHIO STATE
2/46 Quincy Wilson CB FLORIDA
3/80 Tarell Basham DE OHIO
4/137 Zach Banner OT USC
4/143 Marlon Mack RB SOUTH FLORIDA
4/144 Grover Stewart DT ALBANY ST (GA)
5/158 Nate Hairston CB TEMPLE
5/161 Anthony Walker Jr. ILB NORTHWESTERN
Miami Dolphins

This offseason has been filled with roster changes in Miami -- Ndamukong Suh, Mike Pouncey, Jay Cutler, Jarvis Landry and Julius Thomas are among the veterans out as the Dolphins try to get younger (and cheaper). But are they better? I don't think so. This is a 6-10 team with holes and question marks at several positions, including quarterback, where Ryan Tannehill missed all of 2017 with a knee injury. And the 2017 draft class didn't bring many clear answers.

Charles Harris played a situational pass-rusher role as a rookie, chipping in two sacks. I thought the first-round pick would be a better fit as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense, and I don't see an immediate path to more playing time in 2018 as he sits behind Robert Quinn, Cameron Wake and Andre Branch on the depth chart. I like Raekwon McMillan, and he was in line to start at linebacker before tearing his ACL in the preseason. Cornerback Cordrea Tankersley broke up seven passes in 11 games -- all starts -- but was limited by shoulder and ankle injuries. Davon Godchaux is in line to replace Suh in the middle of the defense, and he had 40 tackles and a forced fumble last season. Undrafted linebacker Chase Allen ended up starting four games due to injuries.

The emergence of Tankersley and Godchaux as useful pieces keeps this grade the same as last year.

1/22 Charles Harris OLB MISSOURI
2/54 Raekwon McMillan ILB OHIO STATE
3/97 Cordrea Tankersley CB CLEMSON
5/164 Isaac Asiata G UTAH
5/178 Davon Godchaux DT LSU
6/194 Vincent Taylor DT OKLAHOMA STATE
7/237 Isaiah Ford WR VIRGINIA TECH
New England Patriots

Post-draft grade: A

More than a few people thought I was too high on New England's draft initially, but as I wrote at the time, Brandin Cooks and Kony Ealy were essentially the Patriots' first- and second-round picks. They added an extra third-round pick in the Ealy trade with the Panthers and also got Dwayne Allen plus a sixth from the Colts (for a fourth) and surrendered their fifth-round pick for Mike Gillislee.

So, yeah, not all of those deals turned out well. Cooks is a stud, but Ealy didn't make it out of training camp with the Patriots. Allen caught just 10 passes and was basically used as an extra tackle. Gillislee had three touchdowns in the season opener, then couldn't get on the game-day roster.

As for actual picks, both of the Patriots' third-rounders played zero snaps -- Derek Rivers tore his ACL in the preseason, and Antonio Garcia was on the non-football injury/illness list. Fourth-round pick Deatrich Wise looks like a steal, though, as he had seven total sacks (two in the playoffs), while undrafted defensive tackle Adam Butler pitched in with four sacks (two in the playoffs).

Garcia could be in the mix to replace Nate Solder at left tackle, and Rivers has a ton of potential as an edge rusher. But those are unknowns, and Bill Belichick & Co. need much more out of their younger guys.

3/83 Derek Rivers OLB YOUNGSTOWN STATE
3/85 Antonio Garcia OT TROY
4/131 Deatrich Wise Jr. DE ARKANSAS
6/211 Conor McDermott OT UCLA
Seattle Seahawks

GM John Schneider was clearly trying to stay ahead of attrition on defense, as I wrote last year. He saw an aging Legion of Boom and knew the Seahawks needed to get younger. Now it's a year out and Michael Bennett and Richard Sherman are gone. Cliff Avril and Kam Chancellor might never play football again. Earl Thomas has one year left on his contract and has been the subject of trade rumblings. This is a defense -- and roster -- in transition, but a few talented pieces remain. And as long as Russell Wilson and Pete Carroll are there, the Seahawks are going to compete.

So what did the Seahawks add in this draft? Cornerback Shaquill Griffin looks legit, and now he'll have to be the No. 1. He had an interception and 14 pass breakups as a rookie. Ethan Pocic started 11 games at guard. Defensive tackle Nazair Jones had 19 tackles -- plus an interception on the first play of his career -- while playing in the rotation, though a high ankle sprain limited his impact. Seventh-round running back Chris Carson made the team with a strong preseason and had 49 regular-season carries, but he broke his leg in Week 4.

I noted the value the Seahawks got in Malik McDowell at pick No. 35, but the big defensive tackle never made it onto the field after a summer ATV accident. His NFL future is in question. That's a tough break for Seattle, which thought it was getting an interior pass-rusher who could play every down.

So Seattle got two solid starters in Pocic and Griffin, but injuries took their toll on the rest of the class. The 2018 draft is a big one for Schneider and Carroll.

2/35 Malik McDowell DT MICHIGAN STATE
2/58 Ethan Pocic C LSU
3/90 Shaquill Griffin CB UCF
3/95 Delano Hill S MICHIGAN
3/102 Nazair Jones DT NORTH CAROLINA
3/106 Amara Darboh WR MICHIGAN
4/111 Tedric Thompson S COLORADO
6/187 Mike Tyson S CINCINNATI
6/210 Justin Senior OT MISSISSIPPI STATE
7/226 David Moore WR EAST CENTRAL OKLAHOMA UNIV
7/249 Christopher Carson RB OKLAHOMA STATE
Tennessee Titans

I'm optimistic about this class in Year 2. It was heavy on playmakers, and the offense in 2017 wasn't built to showcase playmakers. That should change under new coordinator Matt LaFleur, who I think will get the best out of Marcus Mariota and open up the offense. But if I'm grading this group for what it did last season, it can't be high.

No. 5 overall pick Corey Davis dealt with hamstring issues and played in only 11 regular-season games, catching 34 passes for 375 yards with no touchdowns. His 3.4 yards after catch ranked last among all rookie receivers, and he seemed to struggled to connect with Mariota at times. Davis looked better in the playoffs, catching two touchdown passes, so maybe the lightbulb has switched on. Third-round picks Jonnu Smith and Taywan Taylor combined for 34 catches and three touchdowns but weren't integral parts of the offense.

The bright spots came on defense. I thought Adoree' Jackson was a reach at No. 18, but he started every game at cornerback and broke up 16 passes. He also returned kicks and punts and even played 12 snaps on offense. Fifth-round pick Jayon Brown contributed 51 tackles and 1.5 sacks as a rotational player.

This group can and should be much better in 2018.

1/5 Corey Davis WR WESTERN MICHIGAN
1/18 Adoree' Jackson CB USC
3/72 Taywan Taylor WR WESTERN KENTUCKY
3/100 Jonnu Smith TE FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL
5/155 Jayon Brown OLB UCLA
6/217 Corey Levin G CHATTANOOGA
7/227 Josh Carraway OLB TCU
7/236 Brad Seaton OT VILLANOVA
7/241 Khalfani Muhammad RB CALIFORNIA
Denver Broncos

As I wrote at the time, I had Cam Robinson and Ryan Ramczyk rated higher than Garett Bolles, and both tackles had better rookie seasons that the mammoth Utah lineman. Yes, Bolles started every game, but he was just OK in the passing game and was called for 12 penalties, second most in the league. He has to improve if Denver wants to get back into the playoff picture.

As for the rest of the class? Not much else in Year 1. I thought DeMarcus Walker was a fringe first-round pick and good fit as an end in a 3-4 defense, but he played only 99 snaps. Brendan Langley played only 100. Carlos Henderson and Jake Butt didn't play at all. Isaiah McKenzie was a decent punt returner but caught just four passes.

Can Walker get on the field and rush the passer? Can Butt emerge a year out from his ACL tear in Michigan's bowl game? Both are talented. As for now, though, this class ranks near the bottom.

New grade: C

1/20 Garett Bolles OT UTAH
2/51 DeMarcus Walker DE FLORIDA STATE
3/82 Carlos Henderson WR LOUISIANA TECH
3/101 Brendan Langley CB LAMAR
5/145 Jake Butt TE MICHIGAN
5/172 Isaiah McKenzie WR GEORGIA
6/203 De'Angelo Henderson RB COASTAL CAROLINA
7/253 Chad Kelly QB OLE MISS
Oakland Raiders

Post-draft grade: C

The Gareon Conley situation before the draft really was unprecedented. He was accused of rape only days before the first round, and several teams had taken him completely off their boards. There were questions about whether he'd be drafted at all. The Raiders ended up taking the cornerback at No. 24, and Conley was cleared by a grand jury in early August. Conley then dealt with a shin injury in training camp and was shut down early in the season, playing only 89 defensive snaps. That's a disappointing start, but now he gets a fresh look under a defensive coordinator who thinks highly of him, and he has the talent to be a No. 1 corner.

Obi Melifonwu was one of the combine's biggest risers, but he played in only five games due to injuries. The Raiders were so desperate at cornerback that they tried him there, too. I thought defensive tackle Eddie Vanderdoes had the tape of a fifth-round pick, but Oakland picked him late on Day 2. He finished the season with 18 tackles while playing in a rotation, but he tore his ACL in the regular-season finale. Marquel Lee and Shalom Luani combined to make 38 tackles in bit roles. David Sharpe started two games at left tackle at the end of the season. The Raiders rookie who had the best season was undrafted linebacker Nicholas Morrow, who had 57 tackles and started five games.

If any of these classes gets an "INCOMPLETE" after Year 1, it's probably Oakland, as new coach Jon Gruden doesn't have enough game tape of his top picks to know what he has.

New grade: C
1/24 Gareon Conley CB OHIO STATE
2/56 Obi Melifonwu S CONNECTICUT
3/88 Eddie Vanderdoes DT UCLA
4/129 David Sharpe G FLORIDA
5/168 Marquel Lee OLB WAKE FOREST
7/221 Shalom Luani S WASHINGTON STATE
7/231 Jylan Ware OT ALABAMA STATE
7/242 Elijah Hood RB NORTH CAROLINA
7/244 Treyvon Hester DT TOLEDO
Go Back To Football & Rugby Topic List