d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Football & Rugby > Espn Insider Requests > Post It Up Here
Prev12349Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Retired Moderator
Gold: 97,894.00
Trader: Trusted
Oct 28 2017 10:58pm
Quote (Schlaktar @ Oct 28 2017 11:43pm)

In this edition of my Big Board for the 2018 NFL draft: a new No. 1 offensive tackle, inside linebacker, guard ... and oh, yeah, quarterback and top overall prospect. There are some big changes below:

A reminder:

The write-ups here won't change much week to week.

I'm projecting to the NFL. This is about much more than stats. My projections are based on size, athletic ability, statistics and what I hear from people around the league.

Speaking of size, what's listed here is provided by the schools. These numbers could vary greatly when players show up at the NFL combine. True height and weight really matter for almost every position.

Note: One asterisk denotes the player is a junior, and two asterisks denote the player is a redshirt sophomore for the 2017 season.

1. *Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State

Previous rank: 2

It's a new No. 1 for the first time this season. Barkley is a lights-out athlete with a great lower body and quick feet who shows tremendous balance. He rushed for 1,496 yards and 18 touchdowns last season and had 1,076 yards as a freshman. He has 1,205 yards from scrimmage and 11 total touchdowns this season. Barkley (5-foot-11, 230 pounds) also will help in the passing game; he has 32 catches this season after having 48 in his first two seasons at Penn State. I think he'll run under a 4.4 40-yard dash and test well at the combine. Barkley could be a top-five pick in 2018, and he's going to get an elite grade from me, barring injury.

2. *Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA

Previous rank: 3

There's also a new No. 1 quarterback. I said a couple weeks ago that the gap had closed between Rosen and Sam Darnold, and I'm ready to put Rosen above the USC signal-caller. More on Darnold a couple spots down. Coming off a stellar freshman season in 2015, Rosen was a sleeper pick to win the Heisman Trophy last season. Things didn't go well, as he had only 10 touchdown passes in six starts before injuring his shoulder and missing the rest of the season. He had a great start to the 2017 season and led for a while in touchdown passes and passing yards, but a three-interception performance in a loss at Arizona means his numbers are just OK (19 TDs, eight INTs, 2,620 yards, while completing 63.5 percent of his passes). The 6-foot-4, 218-pound Rosen throws a great ball and has rare arm talent. There aren't many quarterbacks who can make the throws he does.

3. **Derwin James, S, Florida State

Previous rank: 4

James played only two games in 2016 after suffering a torn meniscus in his left knee. The former five-star recruit was terrific as a freshman for the Seminoles, with 91 tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks and two forced fumbles. FSU has had a miserable 2-4 season so far after losing starting quarterback Deondre Francois in the season opener, but James is a real talent. The 6-foot-3, 211-pound James is tied for the team lead in tackles (37) and has broken up four passes.

4. *Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama

Previous rank: 5

ADVERTISEMENT

Fitzpatrick (6-foot-1, 203 pounds) has played both corner and safety at Alabama, but I think he'll be a safety at the next level. The versatility is a plus, and coach Nick Saban loves him. I wrote about Fitzpatrick after his great game against Texas A&M a few weeks ago. He's really a defensive coordinator's dream: a modern-day, big corner who plays safety. He's versatile enough to line up in the slot and lock down receivers, but he can also be a center fielder. Fitzpatrick had eight interceptions from 2015 to 2016 (including four that were returned for touchdowns), so he has elite ball skills. He isn't afraid to make a tackle, either, which is why I think he'll be a top-five pick in April. I also like that Fitzpatrick will get after it on special teams. He had 11 special-teams tackles in 2016.

5. **Sam Darnold, QB, Southern California

Previous rank: 1

Now to Darnold, who falls from No. 1 overall to No. 5. First, the Notre Dame loss isn't on Darnold. The Trojans couldn't stop the Fighting Irish's running game. Darnold was OK outside of another pick, his 10th of the season, and a lost fumble on a strip sack. But the rumblings about him returning to school -- remember, he's only a third-year sophomore -- are now too loud to ignore. Darnold has been too up-and-down this season. He has 10 picks and has lost six fumbles (plus two more fumbles). His 16 turnovers are the most in FBS. He had an outstanding 2016 season but hasn't matched it. Now, I think Darnold has a chance to be special, and I believe in his talent long-term. But he has to get these turnover issues sorted out. Darnold has a big frame (6-foot-4, 225 pounds), makes quick decisions and is an accurate, natural passer. He completed 67.2 percent of his passes last season and ranked second in the nation in Total QBR (86.8), but he is down to 63.5 percent and 70.1 this season.

6. *Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming

Previous rank: 6

Allen (6-foot-5, 233 pounds) is super raw, but he can really sling it. His numbers weren't great last season (28 touchdown passes, 15 interceptions while completing 56 percent of his passes), and his numbers aren't great this season either (eight touchdown passes, six interceptions while completing 55.7 percent of his passes), but NFL teams will take into account the talent around him. The Wyoming offense lost 47 touchdowns from last season's team, along with its center. The schedule hasn't been kind to the Cowboys, either, with a game at Iowa and one versus Oregon. Allen had another poor game in the loss at Boise State, completing just 44.4 percent of his passes with two picks. I think Allen's numbers will be much better in an NFL offense with NFL players.

7. Bradley Chubb, DE, NC State

Previous rank: 7

I wrote about Chubb's performance against Florida State last month; he was dominant with two sacks and a forced fumble. Chubb (6-foot-4, 260 pounds) could have entered the 2017 draft and been in the first-round discussion. He had 10.5 sacks and 21.5 tackles for loss last season after posting 5.5 sacks and 11 tackles for loss in 2015. Chubb shows good takeoff from the edge as a pass-rusher, and he has an excellent mix of speed and power. He has 13 tackles for loss this season. Check out Chubb's backstory here.

8. *Arden Key, OLB, LSU

Previous rank: 8

The 6-foot-6, 265-pound Key is a fantastic pass-rushing talent who can close quickly on quarterbacks. He had 17 sacks in his two seasons (12.0 in 2016). He needs to improve against the run, but that should come in time when he adds weight to his frame. After taking a leave of absence from the LSU team in the spring, Key had shoulder surgery and missed the beginning of the season. He's starting to turn it on, with three sacks in his past two games.

9. Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame

Previous rank: 19

You might remember McGlinchey from my preseason Big Board last season. He decided to remain in school for his senior year. McGlinchey is a massive athlete (6-foot-8, 315 pounds) who looks like a tight end with pads on. He was dominant from the left side in the rout of USC last weekend. He plays with solid technique, and he can get to the second level for combo blocks, all while driving defenders off the ball in the run game. He played right tackle in 2015, then replaced first-round pick Ronnie Stanley on the left side last season, and he has stayed at left tackle in 2017. The versatility will help him in the NFL, where I think he's a lock for the first round in 2018.

10. Harold Landry, OLB, Boston College

Previous rank: 9

After leading the nation in sacks (16.5) last season, Landry could have been a late first- or early second-round pick if he had entered the 2017 draft. He also had 22 tackles for loss. There is value in his versatility. The 6-foot-3, 257-pound Landry can play outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense or end in a 4-3. He has 5.0 sacks -- including three in a tough loss to Virginia Tech -- and 8.5 tackles for loss so far in 2017.

11. *Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame

Previous rank: NR

Nelson and McGlinchey form the best left side of an O-line in college football. At 6-foot-5, 330 pounds, Nelson just causes destruction in the interior. I think I wrote last year that he was entertaining to watch, and you just don't say that about guards. He's a dominant run-blocker who is powerful at the point of attack but also athletic enough to pull and get into space. I've seen enough from his in 2017 to put him in the first-round range for next year's draft.

12. *Christian Wilkins, DL, Clemson

Previous rank: 10

Clemson just keeps producing first-round picks. Wilkins could be next. At 6-foot-4, 300 pounds, he moves inside and outside for the Tigers. He is a Jonathan Allen-type lineman. He could be an end in a 3-4 defense or a 3-technique tackle in a 4-3. Wilkins had 3.5 sacks and 13 tackles for loss last season. He has 3.0 sacks so far in 2017. Clemson was upset in its last game, at Syracuse, and Wilkins & Co. have a tough game vs. Georgia Tech on Saturday night.

13. *Derrius Guice, RB, LSU

Previous rank: 14

After picking up a nagging knee injury early this season, Guice broke out with a 276-yard rushing performance in the Tigers' win at Ole Miss. He isn't the athletic specimen Leonard Fournette is, but I liked everything I saw from him last season, too. Guice rushed for 1,387 yards and 15 touchdowns -- and averaged 7.6 yards per carry -- while Fournette battled injuries. Guice (5-foot-11, 218 pounds) showed good burst running between and outside the tackles, and he's a physical runner. The LSU offense doesn't use its backs much in the passing game, so that's one area in which Guice is behind Barkley and other backs in this class.

14. *Orlando Brown, OT, Oklahoma

Previous rank: 11

I wrote about Brown earlier this season, when the 6-foot-8, 345-pound left tackle was outstanding in the Sooners' win at Ohio State. He helped protect OU quarterback Baker Mayfield from a defense that is loaded with future NFL talent. Brown is nimble for a big man, getting to the second level with ease. He has great feet and can slide easily outside to pick up blitzing linebackers. Don't worry about Brown having to move to the right side in the NFL. I think he's a left tackle all the way.

15. *Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama

Previous rank: 16

With 161 catches and 14 touchdown receptions in his first two collegiate seasons, the cat-quick Ridley (6-foot-1, 188 pounds) has been one of the nation's top wide receivers since he stepped onto the field. What I really like about him is his competitiveness. He's a nightmare to try to tackle in the open field. He torched Florida State's talented secondary in the season opener, with seven catches for 82 yards and a touchdown, and he has 41 catches for the season.

16. *Connor Williams, OT, Texas

Previous rank: 12

After digging into Williams' 2016 tape, I really liked what I saw. He's a pure left tackle prospect with great feet and balance, and he just didn't get beaten in pass protection. But Williams (6-foot-6, 315 pounds) didn't have a great game to open the season against Maryland. He was beaten in that game, and that was discouraging. Williams suffered a sprained MCL and PCL in his left knee in the loss at USC and could be out for a while longer, potentially the rest of the season.

17. **Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson

Ferrell was on the Big Board at the beginning of the season but dropped off. He's back after a 3.5-sack performance in the loss at Clemson. Ferrell was dominant. He came on strong as a redshirt freshman last season, with 6.0 sacks and 12.5 tackles for loss. Ferrell, 6-foot-5, 260 pounds, has the size that makes scouts turn their heads, and he's quick off the edge.

18. *Damien Harris, RB, Alabama

Previous rank: 25

I really like watching Harris play. He's consistent. He's reliable. He's workmanlike. All Harris does is produce. He averaged 7.2 yards per carry last season, and all anyone wants to talk about is Bo Scarbrough, his talented backup who has flashed but hasn't been consistent. Harris (5-foot-11, 214 pounds) is averaging 8.6 yards per carry this season and has 10 touchdowns. The Crimson Tide have produced six running backs since 2011 who have been drafted in the third round or higher, and Harris is next on that list.

19. *Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville

Previous rank: 23

I was asked a lot about the reigning Heisman Trophy winner last year, and I said I wanted to see major improvement in Jackson's passing to consider him an NFL quarterback prospect. His improvement has shown up on tape this season. Jackson's completion percentage is up (60.3 from 56.2 in 2016), he has put on some good weight, and his delivery looks more fluid. He has done all of that while retaining his dynamic athleticism and speed. Jackson is a gifted athlete, but it's going to take some time before he's ready to start in the NFL. He's the most raw of the top quarterback prospects in this class. Louisville is 5-3, and Jackson doesn't have the touchdown numbers he had in 2016, so I don't think he's a Heisman contender this season.

20. *Rashaan Evans, ILB, Alabama

Finally healthy after being hampered by a groin injury, Evans is playing well for a defense loaded with NFL talent. He played outside early in his career at Alabama, and the versatility will help at the next level. Evans (6-foot-3, 234 pounds) can also rush the passer; he has 12.0 career sacks. The Crimson Tide have a long history of producing linebackers, including Reuben Foster in the 2017 draft, and Evans is next up.

21. *Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado

Previous rank: 22

Oliver was the Buffaloes' third corner last season behind Day 2 draft picks Chidobe Awuzie and Ahkello Witherspoon, and his talent shows on film. He's long and athletic (6-foot-1, 190 pounds). He competes on the Colorado track team and has twice been All-Pac-12 in the decathlon. He also contributes as a punt returner; he had a TD on a return in 2016. Oliver has two interceptions and 10 pass breakups this season. His father, Muhammad, was a ninth-round pick by the Broncos in 1992.

22. *Tarvarus McFadden, CB, Florida State

Previous rank: 21

McFadden was tremendous in his first season as a starter at FSU, picking off eight passes in 2016. He doesn't have an interception so far this season, but he has five pass breakups. At 6-foot-2, 198 pounds, McFadden is a big corner with ball skills. Those are two traits NFL teams love. He's athletically gifted. He also returns punts.

23. *Ronnie Harrison, S, Alabama

Previous rank: 13

Harrison has gone overlooked at times on a loaded Crimson Tide defense, but he's a really good player. He's aggressive and loves to hit. Harrison (6-foot-3, 216 pounds) can cover, too. He had two interceptions last season, including a pick-six at Tennessee. He has two interceptions, 3.0 tackles for loss and 2.0 sacks so far this season.

24. *Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama

Payne is my new No. 1 defensive tackle. At 6-foot-2, 319 pounds, he's a consistent and reliable presence for the Crimson Tide. He isn't going to put up huge numbers on the stat sheet -- he has only 2.5 career sacks -- but he's consistently beating interior offensive linemen and getting good push, and he's a solid prospect with some upside.

25. *Bryce Love, RB, Stanford

He has been one of the stories of the season. Love is the leading rusher (1,387) in FBS, and he's averaging a ridiculous 10.3 yards per carry -- on 135 carries. He's dynamic with the ball in his hands and could be a leading Heisman contender if Stanford keeps winning. Now, I'd like to see Stanford get him the ball as a pass-catcher because Love is so good in space, but he has only four catches for 19 yards in 2017. At 5-foot-10, 195 pounds, Love isn't quite as big as Christian McCaffrey, but Love might be faster -- and McCaffrey ran a 4.48 40-yard dash at the combine.

This post was edited by Boggy on Oct 28 2017 11:00pm
Gold: 1,250.00
Nov 1 2017 06:40am
Up
Nov 11 2017 02:01pm
up for a new week
Nov 17 2017 03:35pm
The database at Pro Football Focus has few limits, and we're able to dig far deeper into specific traits and facets of the game using our years of data sets.

Here, we dig into some of those traits and tell you who the best players are across a variety of different categories, from the most efficient tackler in the league, to the best quarterback throwing a go route. It's our list of the NFL's best performer in every category you can think of -- for the second year in a row -- using our stats.
Offense
Best overall grade

Tom Brady, New England Patriots

After leading all quarterbacks with a 98.0 overall grade last season, Brady is at it again with the top overall grade among offensive players at 93.8. He has continued to evolve his skill set in recent years, extending plays and making more downfield throws outside of structure while also improving his work when facing pressure. Brady has the top PFF grade at both the intermediate (10 to 19 yards) and deep (20-plus yards) level, as the New England offense has been more aggressive throwing down the field this season, and Brady continues to run it with accuracy and precision.
Toughest running back to tackle

Kareem Hunt, Kansas City Chiefs

The rookie has been dominant so far, even in the face of some suspect blocking. He leads the NFL with 56 broken tackles, 21 more than any other back, and is averaging 3.2 yards per carry after first contact. What really separates Hunt is his ability to make the same plays in the passing game. He's the only back in the league with 10 or more broken tackles on the ground and as a receiver.

Best pass-catching running back

Editor's Picks

NFL Insiders predict: Week 11 upsets, flops, Pats' top challenger, more

Can the Steelers challenge the Patriots? Which top fantasy wide receiver should you bench? When will the Browns get their first win? Our experts weigh in.
QB Carousel Index: Ranking NFL teams that could swap QBs in 2018

Some teams are locked in with their plan at the sport's most important position for next season (and beyond, in many cases). Then there are teams like the Browns, Jets and Broncos. We rank them here, in order of most to least likely to make a switch.
The most impactful offseason move for all 32 NFL teams

The Texans trading up for Deshaun Watson. The Rams hiring Sean McVay. The Cardinals letting Calais Campbell leave in free agency. Bold moves this past offseason have produced big results through Week 9 -- for better or worse.

Christian McCaffrey, Carolina Panthers

McCaffrey was a dynamic receiver at Stanford and was an enticing NFL prospect because he has the talent to line up at wide receiver and in the slot as well as in the backfield. The Panthers have taken advantage of this by lining him up in the slot 78 times and split wide another 38, which together account for 25.5 percent of his total snaps. He leads the league in both targets (75) and receptions (57) among running backs and has just one drop while breaking 11 tackles after the catch.
Best blocking tight end

Marcedes Lewis, Jacksonville Jaguars

The Jaguars are taking an old-school approach, running the ball on offense and playing great defense on their way to a 6-3 start. A blocking tight end is crucial in this offense, and Lewis has been excellent in his role. He has the top run-blocking grade in the league at 92.2. Whether setting the edge on zone plays or collapsing the front side on "gap" plays, Lewis can do it all as a run-blocker. His receiving stats have slowly dwindled in recent years, but Lewis is still making an impact.
Best receiver after the catch

Golden Tate, Detroit Lions

Consistently one of the toughest receivers in the NFL to bring down after the catch, Tate has actually averaged more yards after the catch per reception than he has air yards per catch. He has averaged 11.8 yards per catch this season, but an average of 6.9 of those yards have come after the catch. Since 2011, Tate has never ranked lower than tied for seventh in forcing missed tackles on receptions, and he has led the league in that category in four of the past five seasons, including in 2017.
Best deep-ball wide receiver

Tyreek Hill, Kansas City Chiefs

After taking the NFL by storm as the league's best returner as a rookie in 2016, Hill has also emerged as a stellar deep-ball wideout. Thirteen of his 58 total targets this season have come on passes traveling 20 yards downfield or more, resulting in five receptions for 238 yards, three of which were touchdowns. His blazing speed is simply too much for cornerbacks to cover one-on-one. He has been a key part to the Chiefs' offense becoming more dynamic downfield.
JuJu Smith-Schuster has had a productive rookie season in Pittsburgh. Scott W. Grau/Icon Sportswire
Most dominant pass-catcher in the slot

JuJu Smith-Schuster, Pittsburgh Steelers

No receiver has gained more yards per route run from the slot this season than Smith-Schuster, including matchup-weapon tight ends who are lined up in the slot. The rookie has a couple of big plays in his performances this season, so he has gained 2.27 yards for every route he has run, scoring three times and dropping none of the 22 targets thrown his way as a slot weapon. He has spent 65.3 percent of his passing plays lined up in the slot, running 162 routes inside.
Best hands

Antonio Brown, Pittsburgh Steelers

Through the first 10 weeks of the season, Brown has caught 60 of the catchable passes thrown his way, and he has just one drop on 95 targets. That really isn't much of a shock, through, with Brown dropping just 13 of the 444 catchable passes thrown his way since the beginning of the 2014 season.
Best pass-blocker

David Bakhtiari, Green Bay Packers

The NFL's best pass-blocker in 2016, Bakhtiari has again earned that title in 2017 -- when he's healthy. From 181 pass-blocking snaps, he has allowed just one sack, one hit and one hurry, giving him a league-leading pass-blocking efficiency rating of 98.5. He has given up a sack, hit or hurry just once every 60.3 pass-blocking attempts, which is the best rate in the NFL. Bakhtiari missed four games with a hamstring injury, but he has yet to allow more than a single pressure in any one of the five games in which he has played.
Best run-blocker

David DeCastro, Pittsburgh Steelers

There's the big three in Pittsburgh -- quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, wide receiver Antonio Brown and running back Le'Veon Bell -- but what often gets overlooked is that the Steelers have a real road grader in DeCastro. Having easily his most impressive season since entering the NFL in 2012, DeCastro has joined the ranks of elite offensive linemen with some dominating performances. His run-block grade of 92.4 is the best of any offensive tackle or guard this season.
Best offensive-hybrid player

Alvin Kamara, New Orleans Saints

New Orleans' dynamic rookie has really impressed. From 64 carries, he has forced 14 missed tackles, adding another 11 on 42 receptions. Coupled with an average of 3.4 yards after contact per carry, Kamara has earned an elusive rating of 81.1, which ranks third in the NFL so far.
Tom Brady is having another MVP-caliber season. Dustin Bradford/Getty Images
Best QB under pressure

Tom Brady, New England Patriots

Most quarterbacks see a significant drop-off in passer rating when under pressure -- more than 30 points on average -- but Brady has defied the odds this season. His 107.2 passer rating leads the NFL, as does his 58.7 completion percentage and average of 9.2 yards per attempt. His work under pressure is even more impressive. On plays in which he gets hit by a defender, his passer rating of 125.3 more than doubles the NFL average of 55.9. He also leads the league with four touchdowns on such plays.
Best scrambling QB

Dak Prescott, Dallas Cowboys

Sometimes scrambling for quarterbacks isn't about how frequently they take off or how much yardage they gain when they do. It's more about turning blown plays into positive ones, and no quarterback has been better at that this season than Prescott. He has 32 rushing attempts, but just 18 of them have been scrambles, with the Cowboys using him on designed option runs on occasion. He has gained 154 yards (8.6 per rush) on those scrambles, scoring twice and breaking two tackles along the way.
Best pocket awareness

Case Keenum, Minnesota Vikings

One stat that consistently shows a strong correlation with pocket presence is the percentage of pressures a quarterback allows that result in a sack. This was a metric Peyton Manning owned, always able to mitigate pressure by getting the ball out of his hands to a dump-off option rather than be sacked for a loss. Nothing represents Keenum's improved play better than his league-leading sack percentage when pressured. At just 4.9 percent, he has been taken down on just five of 103 pressured dropbacks.
Best QB by route

Slant: Carson Wentz, Philadelphia Eagles

The slant is a big part of the Eagles' offense in a traditional sense and also on run-pass options. Wentz has been extremely efficient on his league-high 36 attempts. He has thrown the slant with excellent zip and ball location, leading to the highest PFF grade and passer rating (125.6) while tying for the league-lead with four touchdowns.

Out: Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons

The out route can take on many forms -- from short, timing throws to longer-developing downfield versions -- but regardless of pass depth, Ryan has been the league's most efficient out-route thrower this season. His 135.7 passer rating leads the NFL, and he has four touchdowns on outs while no other QB has more than two. Ryan's adjusted completion percentage of 83.7 ranks third in the league, and he's now 23-for-30 for 217 yards with those four touchdowns when throwing the out-breaker.

Dig/crosser: Tom Brady, New England Patriots

Brady is one of the league's best throwing over the middle of the field, and he's far and away the top-graded quarterback on digs and crossers this season. He has the league's highest passer rating at 137.7 while also leading the way with seven touchdowns. Those numbers could be even better as Brady has a league-high nine drops on digs and crossers, throwing on-target 89.9 percent of the time, the fourth-best in the NFL. Brady's middle-of-the-field precision is a big reason he leads all quarterbacks with an overall PFF grade of 92.7.

Hitch/comeback: Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers

Rodgers has been injured for a few weeks, but he was at his best firing hitches and comebacks outside the numbers. Arm strength and timing are a general prerequisite for success on hitches and comebacks, and Rodgers possesses plenty of both. He has the top PFF grade and passer rating (117.8) while ranking second with 9.4 yards per attempt. He went 20-for-25 for 227 yards and a touchdown on hitches and comebacks, as he had done his usual fine work throwing the ball outside the numbers before going down in Week 6.

Post/corner: Deshaun Watson, Houston Texans

The post and corner are generally downfield throws that take a varying degree of velocity, touch and accuracy. Prior to his injury, Watson was outstanding on posts and corners, leading the NFL with a passer rating of 157.9 and topping all other QBs with his eight touchdowns. Watson even showed the ability to back-shoulder a corner route on a Week 3 touchdown against the Patriots, and his ability to throw away from the leverage of the defender is a crucial part of his gaudy numbers when throwing posts and corners.

Go: Tom Brady, New England Patriots

While Brady is known for his middle-of-the-field dominance, he has continued to evolve his game, and the deep ball has become a more consistent part of his arsenal the past two years. The go route has different forms, from a touch throw over the top of the defense to a seam route that needs to be zipped in there, and it's the latter Brady has improved greatly in recent years. He has the top PFF grade, No. 2 adjusted completion percentage and No. 3 passer rating on go routes. His ability to stretch the field while maintaining his short and intermediate area dominance is the reason he's still the best quarterback in the NFL.
Nov 17 2017 03:36pm
Best pass-catcher by route

Slant: Trent Taylor, San Francisco 49ers

It'd be easy to go with Dez Bryant, who gained the most yards on slant routes and did so from the outside receiver position. But Taylor's nine receptions on nine slant targets and 148.6 passer rating generated are hard to ignore. The rookie led the nation in yards gained from the slot in his last season at Louisiana Tech and has continued to produce for the 49ers this season with all nine of his slant catches coming from the slot. He has been the league's top wideout on slant targets this season.

Out: Cole Beasley, Dallas Cowboys

Beasley asserted himself as one of the best slot receivers last season and has continued to be one of Prescott's most lethal targets. He has hauled in 15 of his 18 targets on out routes and generated a league-leading passer rating of 135.6 when targeted. Of those 15 catches, 11 gained first-down yardage, the second-most in the NFL.

Dig/crosser: Rob Gronkowski, New England Patriots

Don't let anyone tell you this list was for wide receivers only. Gronk has destroyed coverages over the middle of the field. Among players with at least 10 targets on dig/cross routes, Gronkowski's 155.9 passer rating when targeted is second to none. He has made catches in traffic as well, hauling in three of the five contested targets, which is tied for the best mark in the NFL.

Hitch/comeback: Travis Kelce, Kansas City Chiefs

Kelce is easily one of the most diverse weapons in the NFL, and the Chiefs maximize his use. He has lined up at QB and been the recipient of six shovel passes. Kelce's receiver skills are apparent on hitches and comeback routes, where he ranks second with a 120.0 passer rating when targeted while catching 93.3 percent of those targets, best in the league. Eleven of his 15 targets have resulted in first downs, the most in the league. Kelce has a hitch/comeback catch when lined up out wide, in the slot and at tight end.

Post/corner: Stefon Diggs, Minnesota Vikings

When healthy, Diggs is one of the best receivers in the league. No other receiver has earned as high a grade on post/corner routes this season. On his nine targets, Diggs has seven catches and three touchdowns, generating a perfect passer rating for his quarterback. Perhaps most impressive of all, is that he has been contested on seven of those targets and has converted four of those into catches, best in the league. A.J. Green is the only other receiver who has gained more than 200 yards on these routes this season, and the Bengals receiver is 3 yards shy of Diggs' 211.

Go: Brandin Cooks, New England Patriots

Cooks has been a deep-ball terror, leading the league in yards gained on targets 20-plus yards downfield. He has gained 229 yards on go routes this season to pace the league, and he has generated a passer rating of 145.8 (the best by 7.5 points). Three of the 10 targets have been contested by defensive backs, and each time Cooks has brought the ball in for a reception, tied for the most of any receiver. He's netting out an amazing 22.9 yards per target on go routes, the best in the NFL.
Defense
Best overall grade

Aaron Donald, Los Angeles Rams

With a PFF grade of 97.2, Donald is once again our highest-graded defensive player, with his dominance as a pass-rusher shining through. His pass-rushing productivity rating of 16.2 leads all players on the defensive interior by a significant margin, but it's not just as a pass-rusher where he stands out. His production against the run can't be measured in tackles alone, with Donald's all-around dominance forcing running backs to cut away from the intended point of attack. Maintaining this elite level of play since entering the NFL in 2014, we're now at the point where Donald's greatness should be considered on an all-time scale.
Best defensive hybrid player

Kevin Byard, Tennessee Titans

Byard, the NFL's leader in interceptions with six, has impressed both in coverage and against the run. He leads all safeties with six pass breakups, and eight of his 14 tackles against the run when lined up within 8 yards of the line of scrimmage have resulted in a defensive stop. The big question now is whether he can keep up his impressive playmaking ability, with five of his six interceptions coming in just two games.
Best interior pass-rusher

Aaron Donald, Los Angeles Rams

Donald's legend continues to grow. There really is no tougher player to block on the interior of the defensive line. With 6 sacks, 8 hits and 39 hurries on 276 pass-rushing snaps this season, Donald has produced a pass-rushing productivity rating of 16.2, which leads the NFL, but the real story is by how much. Cincinnati's Geno Atkins ranks second with a PRP rating of 12.1.
Best pass-rusher off the edge

Von Miller, Denver Broncos

Still absolutely devastating off the edge, Miller has continued to be a force for Denver in 2017. Through 10 weeks of the season he has racked up 8 sacks, 6 hits and 35 hurries on 263 pass-rushing snaps, giving him a pass-rushing productivity rating of 15.6. He ranks second among edge defenders with 49 total pressures -- Melvin Ingram is No. 1 with 51 -- and every other player who has reached 40 or more this season has rushed the passer more than Miller. The former No. 2 overall draft pick continues to be dominant.
Best swim move

Cameron Jordan, New Orleans Saints

With J.J. Watt on the sideline, the league's swim-move king is not on the field, so we have to turn elsewhere to find the next best. Jordan relied heavily on his swim move in college, and it has remained one of the biggest weapons in his arsenal as a pro. He has been deployed inside at times for the Saints, and he's particularly fond of breaking out his swim move when aligned inside the tackles to beat players with quickness into the backfield.
Fletcher Cox has 4.5 total sacks this season. Eric Hartline-USA TODAY Sports
Best bull rush

Fletcher Cox, Philadelphia Eagles

There are several NFL players with powerful bull rushes, but what Cox is able to do with it at his best is nothing short of frightening. He has 2 sacks, 2 hits and 13 hurries for 17 total pressures using the bull rush this season. What's more, he has done it against high-level offensive linemen, making Trai Turner, another powerful player, look like a college backup at times when the two went head-to-head when the Eagles and Panthers met in Week 6. Cox has unrivaled power on his bull rush, making it one of the game's most effective moves.
Most efficient tackler

Bobby Wagner, Seattle Seahawks

Wagner has been a force for the Seahawks, grading well in every facet of the game to earn an overall PFF grade of 95.8 this season. He has really separated himself from most linebackers by just how efficient he has been when making tackles. Wagoner has attempted 81 total tackles, second-most in the league, but has just one miss. He hasn't missed a tackle in the passing game, and he has the league's best tackling efficiency rate. The next closest linebacker has two misses, one every 24.5 attempts.
Best coverage linebacker

Bobby Wagner, Seattle Seahawks

In addition to being a tackling machine for Seattle, Wagner has also been a monster in coverage. Linebackers typically aren't matched up one-on-one with receivers, but the majority of their work in coverage is dropping to landmarks and understanding route concepts, to break on balls and give opposing quarterbacks tighter windows to throw into. Wagner has been a master at that with a 92.3 coverage grade, by far the highest of any linebacker. He has one pick and five pass breakups, and he hasn't been beaten for a pass longer than 32 yards.
Best slot corner

Briean Boddy-Calhoun, Cleveland Browns

Boddy-Calhoun has one of the more remarkable stat lines in the league this season. He has allowed just 51 yards in the air when covering the slot, and while he hasn't played there as much as other players, he has still covered the slot on 141 passing snaps this season. He has the best coverage snaps per target figure in the league among slot defenders (20.1), and the best yards per cover snap (0.36) figure of anyone with more than 80 snaps in coverage inside.
Special teams
Punter who best takes away the return game

Rigoberto Sanchez, Indianapolis Colts

The Colts looked to be in big trouble when Pat McAfee, who was arguably the best punter in the NFL, decided to retire at the end of last season. Thanks to the emergence of Sanchez, though, they haven't seen much drop-off at the position. Just 14 of the rookie's 50 punts have been returned this season, for a total of only 76 yards, while 23 of his punts have landed inside the opposing 20-yard line. Nineteen fair catches, tied for the most in the NFL, are a result of both Sanchez putting the ball where it needs to be, and the Colts' punt coverage unit being in position to force returns to opt to not return the punt.
Best kickoff placement kicker

Cody Parkey, Miami Dolphins

The new touchback rule has generated value for teams that have opted for shorter kickoffs teamed with great coverage. The average Parkey kickoff has landed 3 yards deep into his opponent's end zone, short enough to entice returns, but deep enough to give his coverage units time to stop the return man before the 25-yard line. Parkey has elicited an average starting field position of the 20.5-yard line for his opponent, the best in the league. The near 5-yard difference from simply kicking touchbacks on each of his 33 kickoffs has given the Dolphins' defense an extra 148.5 additional yards of field position through nine games.
Best long-field kicker

Jake Elliott, Philadelphia Eagles

There are a number of good candidates for the best long field kicker in the NFL, which essentially boils down to having the strongest leg. While veterans such as Matt Prater and Justin Tucker have big legs, it's rookie Jake Elliott whose booming leg has stood out the most. He nailed a 61-yard, game-winning field goal in Week 3 and has seen 34 of his 53 kickoffs result in touchbacks. Drafted by the Bengals this year before joining the Eagles after he was cut, he has been a secret weapon in their league-best 8-1 record.
Gold: 8,950.00
Nov 17 2017 06:33pm
Anything on legit gruden bucs talk?
Nov 17 2017 08:08pm
Quote (bob(Cs2) @ Nov 17 2017 08:33pm)
Anything on legit gruden bucs talk?

No, Gruden gonna ybananaz from the booth man.
Gold: 88.00
Dec 13 2017 08:38pm
Quote (vHero @ Dec 13 2017 02:00pm)

Yes, it's that time again already.

Below is my first 2018 NFL mock draft, which projects all 32 first-round picks. Obviously, a ton will change between now and April 26, including the final draft order, team needs, free agency and grades on many of our top prospects as they go through the postseason process. Some of the players included here are underclassmen who haven't yet decided whether they'll enter the 2018 draft, and some teams will inevitably undergo regime changes in the coming weeks.

Two important notes:

1. We used ESPN's Football Power Index to project what the order will be at the end of the season, with the two traded first-round picks accounted for. You can read more about how FPI projects the order here.

2. All juniors or redshirt sophomores are noted with an asterisk.
1. Cleveland Browns

Sam Darnold, QB, USC*

The Browns have a really good chance to have two picks in the top 10 of this draft. With the No. 1 pick, they must address their QB situation. I believe Rosen is the more polished quarterback right now, but Darnold has the higher ceiling at the next level. We've spent a lot of time focusing on Darnold's questionable decision-making and poor footwork (as well as his being turnover prone), but that was behind a porous offensive line and with a pass-catching corps with a lot of youth. Darnold played very well down the stretch, with nine TDs and only two INTs in his final five games. It isn't easy to turn down guaranteed money and the potential of being the No. 1 pick, but most talent evaluators think he'd benefit long-term from another year at USC. Darnold will have to make a difficult decision after the Cotton Bowl.
2. New York Giants

Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA*
2018 NFL DRAFT

Round 1: Thursday, April 26, 8 p.m. ET
Rounds 2-3: Friday, April 27, 7 p.m. ET
Rounds 4-7: Saturday, April 28, Noon ET
Where: AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas

NFL draft home page » | Projected order »

•Insider McShay's Mock Draft 1.0 »
• Kiper, McShay answer 25 questions »
•Insider Mel Kiper's Big Board »
•Insider Todd McShay's Top 32 »
• Underclassmen who have declared »

This is another team with a lot of holes, but none is more glaring than at QB. Eli Manning will be 37 at the start of the next season, and the Giants' offense hasn't scored 30 points in a game since the 2015 season (30 straight games). Davis Webb hasn't been able to get on the field, and Geno Smith isn't the long-term answer at the position. Rosen outplayed Darnold in their recent matchup, and I came away impressed from watching him from the sideline. Rosen is the most NFL-ready QB in this class. The biggest challenge for him will be selling teams on his love/need for the game and his "coachability."
3. Indianapolis Colts

Bradley Chubb, DE, NC State

This team has needs all over, but it is one of the few in the top 10 that should be set at QB, with a (presumably) healthy Andrew Luck coming back next season. Without an offensive tackle worthy of such a high pick, I'm looking for edge help here. Chubb has a great skill set and a nonstop motor, and he has played his way into being a top-10 pick. He is a plug-and-play starter.
4. San Francisco 49ers

Minkah Fitzpatrick, S, Alabama*

Saquon Barkley could make sense here, but the 49ers have Matt Breida and could re-sign pending free agent Carlos Hyde. Just like his dad did throughout his career, Shanahan has always believed in his ability to identify RB talent that fits his system in later rounds; I'm guessing he and John Lynch will employ a similar strategy. The 49ers have invested heavily on the defensive line in recent drafts, but they need an infusion of talent in the secondary. Fitzpatrick is a true shutdown cornerback who has the versatility to play safety as well.
5. Denver Broncos

Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming*

Even after taking Paxton Lynch No. 26 overall in 2016, the Broncos are clearly still in need of a franchise QB. Lynch has thrown only 97 passes in two seasons, and he was beaten by Trevor Siemian for the starting QB spot this season. If Denver doesn't address the position in free agency, Allen should be the pick. There's no question that he struggled this season at Wyoming and needs to improve his decision-making, but he lost four of his skill position players from 2016 to the NFL. Allen has an elite arm and is a physical freak in terms of his skill set. His stock should rise in the postseason process.
play
0:30
Allen throws TD on the run

Josh Allen finds Austin Fort in the end zone for a 20-yard touchdown pass.
6. Cleveland Browns (from Texans)

Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State*

The Browns have plenty of needs but can afford a luxury pick after taking their QB at No. 1. While Isaiah Crowell and Duke Johnson are a nice pairing, Barkley is a far superior player to both. My No. 2 overall prospect, Barkley is clearly the best running back in college football. He's also the best running back to come out of college since Adrian Peterson, and he would do well behind Cleveland's strong offensive line.
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson*

There is still some hope for an edge rush in Tampa Bay with Noah Spence (on injured reserve), but the Bucs are dead last in the NFL with 17.0 sacks this season, and the defense has been porous (31st in total points). Ferrell is a hard worker, and the light has come on recently. He has been steadily rising up my board after a terrific performance against Syracuse (3.5 sacks, 5.5 TFL) and is explosive off the edge. A third-year sophomore, he could also return to Clemson.
8. Chicago Bears

Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama

Mitchell Trubisky has had an inconsistent rookie campaign, but the Bears have been plagued by injuries at the wide receiver position in recent years. Ridley is the clear top wideout in this class, with outstanding foot speed and good acceleration. He has averaged 16.2 yards per catch this season, but his stats in Alabama's run-heavy offense don't reflect his true talent.
9. New York Jets

Arden Key, DE, LSU*

The Jets are another QB-needy team, but in this mock, the top three QBs are all already off the board. This is a spot where Baker Mayfield could be considered (or Allen if he's still available). The pass rush needs help, though, and Key is the most talented natural edge rusher in the draft. He left LSU this summer for personal reasons and has been banged up this season (only 4.0 sacks), so his draft stock could slip a bit, but the talent is there.
10. Cincinnati Bengals

Connor Williams, OT, Texas*

The Bengals have had a disappointing season, and the offensive line is a big reason for that. Cedric Ogbuehi and Jake Fisher (out for the season with an irregular heartbeat) haven't played up to their draft potential, and Cincinnati is in the bottom third in sacks allowed (33) after giving up 41 last season. Guard Quenton Nelson could help here, but Williams is the best offensive lineman and is a better value proposition at No. 10.

Editor's Picks

2018 NFL draft primer: Kiper, McShay answer 25 questions

How excited should fans get about the quarterbacks? Is Baker Mayfield a first-round pick? Could a defender go No. 1 overall? It's officially NFL draft season, and our experts are here to catch you up.
McShay's Top 32 for NFL draft: Rosen now No. 1

With the college football regular season nearly complete, Todd McShay gives his final player rankings before bowl season. And yes, there is a change up top with a new QB taking over the No. 1 spot.
McShay's way-too-early 2018 mock draft: Promising QB class awaits

Todd McShay takes a preliminary look at the 2018 NFL draft, which could feature a talented group of quarterbacks atop the board.

11. Arizona Cardinals

Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame

This is another potential landing spot for Baker Mayfield, as Carson Palmer's status for the 2018 season is unknown. But if it's not QB (or CB), offensive line makes sense for a Cardinals team that has allowed the second-most sacks (44) in the NFL this season and needs upgrades at several spots. McGlinchey doesn't have elite tools, but he has good experience and is a well-rounded player. He is a high-floor pick.
12. Oakland Raiders

Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State*

The Oakland passing defense has been a sieve this season, allowing 7.7 yards per attempt (27th), and 2017 first-round pick Gareon Conley is still an unknown after playing only two games this season. Ward lacks ideal starting experience but has been exceptional this season at Ohio State. He's the best pure man-to-man cover corner in this class.
13. Washington Redskins

Derwin James, S, Florida State*

This is one of the tougher picks to predict, as the direction will be dictated by what happens with Kirk Cousins. If he's back, the best player on the board is James, who is an extremely versatile safety and will likely test well at the combine. In a division with Alshon Jeffery, Odell Beckham Jr. and Dez Bryant at wide receiver, you can't have enough secondary help.
14. Miami Dolphins

Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame*

Guard is a glaring need for the Dolphins, who need to protect whomever is at QB and get more push in the running game. Nelson is the most NFL-ready offensive lineman in this class and a road-grader (listed at 6-foot-5, 235 pounds). He's ready to start right away.
15. Buffalo Bills

Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia*

Another team with potential QB issues, we'll know more about the Bills' commitment to Tyrod Taylor (and Nathan Peterman) after this season and free agency. Linebacker is another clear area of need, though, and Smith is the most athletic off-the-line linebacker in this class. A true sideline-to-sideline player, he can do it all and is a perfect fit for the modern NFL.
16. Dallas Cowboys

Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson*

The Cowboys have generated good pressure up front, thanks to DeMarcus Lawrence's 13.5 sacks, but he'll be a free agent. Last year's first-round pick, Taco Charlton, should help as well, but the Cowboys need to bolster the interior of that defensive line. Wilkins has experience both inside and outside on an outstanding Clemson D-line, but I believe his best fit is inside as a 3-technique. He has the foot speed and quick hands to slip blocks and is a stout run-defender.
17. Green Bay Packers

Harold Landry, OLB, Boston College

Depending on what happens with pending free agent Davante Adams, wide receiver could be a need here. I'm going defense for Green Bay, though. Landry was my No. 4 prospect going into the season, but he might fall in the draft a bit due to an injury-riddled senior season. He is a naturally gifted edge rusher who led the nation in 2016 with 16.5 sacks.
18. Detroit Lions

Tremaine Edmunds, DE/OLB, Virginia Tech*

Detroit has plenty of needs on defense but must be encouraged by the play of 2017 first-round LB Jarrad Davis. Regardless of whether the Lions re-sign pending free agent Ezekiel Ansah, Detroit needs more edge rushers. Edmunds has the versatility to cover and rush the passer, and he is a gifted athlete at 6-foot-5, 250 pounds. He'll likely test well at the combine.
19. Los Angeles Chargers

Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma

Orlando Brown is an option at offensive tackle here, but this is a good time for the Chargers to take a successor to 36-year-old Philip Rivers. Los Angeles passed on Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson last draft, but Mayfield is too intriguing to pass on here. Perhaps no prospect has improved his stock more in 2017 than Mayfield, who was my ninth-ranked QB coming into the season, with a midround grade. The Heisman winner is an exceptional leader and could play himself into the first round with a good showing in the College Football Playoff.
play
0:55
Mayfield slings 124th career TD

Baker Mayfield moves into second place in Big 12 history with 124 career touchdown passes, this one to Mark Andrews for 14 yards.
20. Tennessee Titans

Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa*

The Titans have spent a lot of recent draft capital on the offensive side of the ball, so I'm looking defense here. They need an edge rusher, but there isn't one to match the spot, so I'll look to the secondary. Adoree' Jackson has looked the part, but Tennessee needs more help on the outside. Josh Jackson is a long CB with natural cover ability and tremendous ball skills. He flashed with three INTs against Ohio State.
21. Buffalo Bills (from Chiefs)

Vita Vea, DT, Washington*

After trading Marcell Dareus to Jacksonville midseason, Buffalo's run defense has suffered. Listed at 6-foot-4, 346 pounds, Vea is a former high school running back and an absolute block-eater in the middle of Washington's defense. However, he also has the quickness and athleticism to get into the backfield. He could continue to rise with an impressive combine performance.
22. Baltimore Ravens

Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M*

Former first-round pick Breshad Perriman hasn't been able to stay on the field, and this offense really lacks playmakers. Kirk has been inconsistent, but he has the speed to take the top off a defense. He is also a great punt returner.
23. Atlanta Falcons

Ronnie Harrison, S, Alabama

Help on the defensive line is an option with Dontari Poe and Courtney Upshaw both free agents and Derrick Nnadi and Mo Hurst still available. However, in today's NFL, you can't have enough playmakers in the secondary. Harrison is an underrated prospect and has star potential in the NFL at the free safety position. He has been all over the field for a very good Alabama defense.
24. Seattle Seahawks

Derrius Guice, RB, LSU*

Seattle has seemingly had a revolving door at RB and needs some stability at the position to take pressure off Russell Wilson. Guice definitely isn't Leonard Fournette, but he has great quickness and the ability to break tackles. He dealt with some nagging injuries but has been a workhorse for LSU down the stretch, averaging 22 carries and 132 yards per game in his past six. Offensive line is also an option here for the Seahawks.
25. Carolina Panthers

Orlando Brown, OT, Oklahoma*

Carolina is another team that is looking for an edge rusher, but it might struggle with value here. Brown is the son of the late Orlando "Zeus" Brown, and he played left tackle at Oklahoma, but I think he might be better suited at RT in the NFL. He has tremendous talent but will benefit from shedding some weight and improving his foot quickness. He would give Carolina some insurance for Matt Kalil.
26. Los Angeles Rams

Billy Price, G/C, Ohio State

A plug-and-play starter, Price will help an improved Rams offense line on the inside. A four-year starter, Price is playing center for the Buckeyes this season, but I see him at guard for Los Angeles. He should be a steady starter.
27. Jacksonville Jaguars

Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU*

The Jaguars need help at tight end and potentially quarterback, but there aren't any worthy of being drafted here, in my opinion. Sutton would offer another pass-catching weapon for Blake Bortles (or a new QB) to go with that ferocious defense.
28. New Orleans Saints

Mo Hurst, DT, Michigan

New Orleans could use more depth and versatility on an improving defensive line, and Hurst would be a good value at this point in the draft. The Saints could also go for Mayfield here if he's still available.
29. Minnesota Vikings

Martinas Rankin, OT, Mississippi State

The depth of this roster is showing this season, as Case Keenum has stepped in at QB, and the Vikings haven't missed a beat. There aren't many glaring holes on this team, but Minnesota could still use reinforcements on the offensive line. A former JUCO transfer, Rankin performed well against good SEC competition.
30. New England Patriots

Ben Banogu, DE/OLB, TCU

Bill Belichick loves to collect versatile edge defenders, and Banogu fits the bill. A former transfer from Louisiana Monroe, he didn't get much national attention this season but was always around the ball on the tapes I studied and was highly productive (15.5 TFL, 8.5 sacks).
31. Pittsburgh Steelers

Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State*

This is a bit of a reach for the top tight end in this class -- I have a mid- to late-second-round grade on him -- but Goedert is an underrated talent who has dominated his small-school competition. He has the athletic ability to give linebackers issues, and his size (6-foot-4, 258 pounds) is trouble for CBs. The postseason process will be big for him to prove he belongs.
32. Philadelphia Eagles

Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama

The Eagles have one of the most complete rosters in the NFL, though offensive tackle could be an issue if 35-year-old Jason Peters isn't the same coming back from his knee injury. Another versatile linebacker such as Evans, who has had a strong senior campaign, is a good pick to help bolster an elite defense.
Go Back To Football & Rugby Topic List
Prev12349Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll