d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > European Union News > What's Up In The Eu.
Prev18384858687646Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Jun 18 2018 05:12pm
Quote (Ghot @ Jun 18 2018 05:01pm)
Macron scolds teen for asking 'How's it going, Manu?'

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-france-macron-boy/macron-scolds-teen-for-asking-hows-it-going-manu-idUSKBN1JE247

Just plain cracks me up. :)

the thing that baffles me are the words general and resistance
Gold: 4,383.11
Jun 18 2018 05:48pm
Quote (Ghot @ 19 Jun 2018 00:01)
Macron scolds teen for asking 'How's it going, Manu?'

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-france-macron-boy/macron-scolds-teen-for-asking-hows-it-going-manu-idUSKBN1JE247

Just plain cracks me up. :)

what do you expect from a guy, who is fully convinced that he is saviour of europe, if not the world
this uptight and elitist ideologist and merkel really are a destructive duo

Quote (Ghot @ 18 Jun 2018 18:47)
EU executive 'confident' of migration deal but many beg to differ

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-europe-migrants/eu-executive-confident-of-migration-deal-but-many-beg-to-differ-idUSKBN1JE25T

Seems like the EU is finally playing a Trump card. The immigration card.

that whole discussion is laughable to be honest, merkel is violating german and european laws for years, the madness has gone so far that our federal police is letting people with rejected asylum requests, no papers and court orders forbidding them to re-enter the country in once again
you cant make that shit up

merkel refuses to realise that most our neighbor are done with this shit, austria, denmark, italy and the eastern european countries

one can only hope that these guys will stop her at the upcoming eu summit

Gold: 4,400.67
Jun 18 2018 08:58pm
Quote (ampoo @ 19 Jun 2018 01:48)
that whole discussion is laughable to be honest, merkel is violating german and european laws for years, the madness has gone so far that our federal police is letting people with rejected asylum requests, no papers and court orders forbidding them to re-enter the country in once again

not just that, merkel seems determined to break up with her sister party, sacrifice her current government coalition and put her entire chancellorship on the line to defend "the right" of court-rejected asylum seekers to re-enter the country and apply for asylum again.

and the icing on the cake is that she defends this stance with the need "to comply with european laws, find european solutions and uphold multilateralism" and "if we reject asylum seekers on our borders, we would put our european neighbors under too much pressure and create unforseeable consequences for their countries"... while the whole reason we're in this situation in the first place is that she took unilateral action that back in 2015 stunned not just her own country but all of europe, broke the european laws and created a huge trek of refugees walking through a dozen of smaller southeastern european states on their way to Merkel's promised land.

the degree of cognitive dissonance from merkel and her supporters is mind-boggling.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jun 18 2018 09:00pm
Gold: 2,570.91
Jun 21 2018 11:20am
Some spanish news:

As I said recently, Rajoy stepped down from his leadership of his party (PP). He has decided to return to his position of land registrator in the small town of Santa Pola, which he left 25 years ago to become a politician... even though I'm not a great fan of his job as president, I have to admit that it's a nice and humble gesture on his part, as he has preferred to return to his old job rather than retiring and enjoying the huge retirement salary all presidents are entitled to.

But this is not what this post is about.... I'm going to talk to you about his succession. For the first time in the party's history, there will be primaries to elect the next party leader. Until now, the regional leaders and their cronies would meet up in a convention and discuss who should be their leader, in a fashion similar to how the Pope is elected. This time there will be a first round of votes where all of the party members (anyone who pays the annual quota) has the right to vote, and if nobody wins with over 50% of the votes (or in over 50% of the constituencies), there will be a second round... although in this second round, only the territorial delegates will vote.

The first round of votes will be held on the 5th of July, and there are 7 candidates:

1. Soraya Sáenz de Santamaría (47 years old). She was Rajoy's Vice President and right hand. She had very few allies inside the party until Rajoy gave her all that power... now she has purged many of her opponents and has gathered support from several important members of the party. She has a very solid chance to win. Her main drawback is that she's Rajoy 2.0... at least so far, she has done nothing, and just waited for things to get fixed by themselves. She is also hated by much of the party, due to her purges. She's pretty progressive though.

2. Maria Dolores de Cospedal (53 years old). She is currently in charge of the party's organization. This position has allowed her to gather a lot of support from different regional leaders, which gives her a very strong chance of winning. Her main drawback is that she was the one in charge of defending the party in all those cases of corruption, which has seriously harmed her image among the people. She's also very cold, and is seen as "too sophisticated" and aristocratic. Another issue is that she leads much of the "resistance" sentiment against the purges Soraya made... if she won, or if Soraya won, the party could face serious internal divisions.

3. Pablo Casado (37 years old). The youngest candidate, he was one of the government's spokesmen during Rajoy's presidency. He is very liberal (in an economic sense) and pretty unitarian, always demanding a strong hand against separatists. He's supposedly pretty close to former president Aznar, who has been Rajoy's worst enemy over the last few years. The party youths seem to love him, and that should give him a solid chance to win. His youthful image should help him compete with the leader of the centrist C's (which, according to polls, has snatched around 20-25% of PP's voters over the last year), and his hardline message could hurt the right wing party VOX, that feeds on the most nationalist voters, which are upset on Rajoy's lack of action regarding Catalonia. His main drawback is that he's currently under investigation due to accusations of having faked a post-graduate title. If he turns out to be guilty, he would be finished.

4. José Manuel García-Margallo
(73 years old). The oldest candidate by a mile, but also the most reformist. He's a centrist christian democrat, and has long demanded that PP should lead a movement to "adapt the constitution to the 21st century". Despite having a good relationship with the former president, he has criticized Rajoy's lack of social reforms and has a personal feud with Soraya Sáenz de Santamaría, and he accuses her of his sacking as Minister of Foreign Affairs. His main draw back is that he has little support within the party... most of his allies are on Cospedal's boat.

5. Jose Ramón García Hernández (47 years old). The most conservative candidate. He defends catholic and family values. He has the support of several of the older and most conservative party members, but he shouldn't have much of a chance of getting past the first round.

6. José Luis Bayo
(39 years old). Another reformist candidate. He wants to renew the party, keeping it's conservative essence, but "adapting it to the new social changes in the country". Not much is known about him beyond that, and he shouldn't have much of a chance.

7. Elio Cabanes (44 years old). The most unknown candidate. He seems very critical with the party's structure... he says there is too much bureaucracy, and advocated for greater direct democracy. I don't know much about his ideals, but his campaign is so far centered around the fight against corruption, bureaucracy and the establishment.

I personally don't plan on voting PP, but it's undeniable that this party has a strong influence on spanish politics, regardless of them being part of the government or not. I think it will be interesting to see how one of the two main parties of Spain decides to focus it's strategy towards the next elections. In an era where many right wing parties are shifting towards euroscepticism and anti-immigration, it's interesting that all of the candidates here are strong supporters of the EU (Margallo even wants our constitution to state that we are part of the EU), and most of them have openly criticized the "lack of solidarity" of the italian government during the Aquarius crisis.
Gold: 3.33
Jun 21 2018 04:04pm
Quote (ampoo @ Jun 19 2018 12:48am)
what do you expect from a guy, who is fully convinced that he is saviour of europe, if not the world
this uptight and elitist ideologist and merkel really are a destructive duo

merkel refuses to realise that most our neighbor are done with this shit, austria, denmark, italy and the eastern european countries

one can only hope that these guys will stop her at the upcoming eu summit

I don't think Macron did anything wrong there.
Jun 21 2018 04:08pm
the little brat deserved it, but macron made himself look like an uptight elitist. my conjecture would be that macron tried to employ self-aware sarcasm, but didnt pull it off properly.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jun 21 2018 04:08pm
Gold: 4,383.11
Jun 21 2018 04:19pm
Quote (dro94 @ 22 Jun 2018 00:04)
I don't think Macron did anything wrong there.

in general no, its just the way he does it
Gold: 2,489.69
Jun 21 2018 04:21pm
Quote (ampoo @ Jun 21 2018 04:19pm)
in general no, its just the way he does it

doesn't this logic support the "trump isn't presidential enough" narrative?

not to derail the EU thread, i agree Macaroni has a weird feel to him.
Jun 21 2018 04:29pm
Quote (thesnipa @ 22 Jun 2018 00:21)
doesn't this logic support the "trump isn't presidential enough" narrative?

not to derail the EU thread, i agree Macaroni has a weird feel to him.

trump is playing the role of a "heel", or that of an outlaw antihero, while macron tries to present himself as a "babyface", a goodie-two-shoes who's out to save of the liberal west.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jun 21 2018 04:29pm
Gold: 2,489.69
Jun 21 2018 04:31pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 21 2018 04:29pm)
trump is playing the role of a "heel", or that of an outlaw antihero, while macron tries to present himself as a "babyface", a good guy savior of the liberal west.

i understand. but Ampoo generally seems pretty resistant to the "trump said it wrong" type criticisms. its a general anti-pc feeling.

so wouldn't saying the opposite about Macron just mean you're admitting you're biased?

i have no problem with bias, this is just close to the surface.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev18384858687646Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll