d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Another Post About The Poor
Prev12346Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 3,260.00
Oct 12 2017 01:30pm
People don't want to move. It's a risk.

Most people would rather stay where they are with what they have than take on any risk that may or may not advance them.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 35,078.94
Trader: Trusted
Oct 12 2017 01:34pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Oct 12 2017 02:30pm)
70% of Americans live pay-check to pay-check.
8 in 10 Americans are in debt.

I don't entirely disagree with your point but it's not as simply as just do it for a lot of people, when you take the two above statistics into consideration.

Sure, but you have to evaluate personal decisions in that. I know this is very top level, but i'm sure the % of americans who have "luxury" goods, such as a high % of meals outside the home, iPhone X instead of the smartphone that T-Mobile gives you free for signing up, directv instead of just rolling with Netflix, etc., is high as well.

If people wanted to not live paycheck to paycheck and get out of debt, wiser life choices would help.
Gold: 745.69
Oct 12 2017 01:36pm
Quote (AspenSniper @ Oct 12 2017 03:09pm)
The point that i'm making is, you can always move. There are absolutely low cost cities that are a bit outside the standard suburbs. For DC, where I'm from, yeah Potomac, Bethesda, Mclean, are all insanely expensive. Reston, Rockville, Alexandria, are all pretty expensive. Gaithersburg, Germantown, Clarksburg, Sterling, Fairfax are all moderately affordable, but then you get to Frederick, Sterling, Leesburg, etc., and those are all pretty fuckin easy to afford especially with the way DC pays even low-end work.

Meaning, yeah your commute might suck, but you can definitely live in a place that pays high wages. Or, you can go live in a place that costs nothing and pays nothing and still get by, like post 2 in Oklahoma.

It isn't impossible, isn't even hard, just have to be willing to move to a place that makes sense for you. I make tons of money and I still would struggle to get by in San Francisco, so that's why I don't live there. Before I made tons of money, I lived in Frederick because I wanted to save up my money. It's about life decisions.

...Yeah, you can also go outside and dance naked in the street, but that doesn't mean just because you CAN do it, that you SHOULD. As I mentioned in my previous response, there are some additional factors you aren't considering here, and really what it comes down to is whether the overall net amount of money you're making is going up or down. And as the article states, for a lot of people, it actually goes down (largely due to housing, but also partially due to some of the things I mentioned).
Gold: 17,384.69
Oct 12 2017 01:48pm
Quote (AspenSniper @ 12 Oct 2017 20:09)
The point that i'm making is, you can always move. There are absolutely low cost cities that are a bit outside the standard suburbs. For DC, where I'm from, yeah Potomac, Bethesda, Mclean, are all insanely expensive. Reston, Rockville, Alexandria, are all pretty expensive. Gaithersburg, Germantown, Clarksburg, Sterling, Fairfax are all moderately affordable, but then you get to Frederick, Sterling, Leesburg, etc., and those are all pretty fuckin easy to afford especially with the way DC pays even low-end work.

Meaning, yeah your commute might suck, but you can definitely live in a place that pays high wages. Or, you can go live in a place that costs nothing and pays nothing and still get by, like post 2 in Oklahoma.

It isn't impossible, isn't even hard, just have to be willing to move to a place that makes sense for you. I make tons of money and I still would struggle to get by in San Francisco, so that's why I don't live there. Before I made tons of money, I lived in Frederick because I wanted to save up my money. It's about life decisions.

the only place where you can cumulate low cost housing/rent AND high level "quality" job are the hyped places; after few decades prices are rising.
in france theres the Sophia Antipolis.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophia_Antipolis
Retired Moderator
Gold: 35,078.94
Trader: Trusted
Oct 12 2017 03:11pm
Quote (Magicman657 @ Oct 12 2017 02:36pm)
...Yeah, you can also go outside and dance naked in the street, but that doesn't mean just because you CAN do it, that you SHOULD. As I mentioned in my previous response, there are some additional factors you aren't considering here, and really what it comes down to is whether the overall net amount of money you're making is going up or down. And as the article states, for a lot of people, it actually goes down (largely due to housing, but also partially due to some of the things I mentioned).

I think it's ridiculous to expect that the least qualified in society should have standards higher than a place to live, enough food to live, etc., basics. I don't think a low educated low skilled person should have an opportunity to live a life with equal enjoyment as someone better educated and more skilled. The debate is always where that line is. Clearly we see medicare and Medicaid and other programs bankrupting our society, so we cant continue to keep raising standards.
Gold: 17,384.69
Oct 12 2017 03:17pm
Quote (AspenSniper @ 12 Oct 2017 22:11)
Clearly we see medicare and Medicaid and other programs bankrupting our society, so we cant continue to keep raising standards.

Your country only, because actually all others are managing to do it, including those where the health care service is even highter that usa (compared to their gdp) and now... Even some african countries are on the way.

Quote (AspenSniper @ 12 Oct 2017 22:11)
I don't think a low educated low skilled person should have an opportunity to live a life with equal enjoyment as someone better educated and more skilled.

oh rly not even the oportunity? or are you doing some irony ?
Gold: 745.69
Oct 12 2017 03:18pm
Quote (AspenSniper @ Oct 12 2017 05:11pm)
I think it's ridiculous to expect that the least qualified in society should have standards higher than a place to live, enough food to live, etc., basics. I don't think a low educated low skilled person should have an opportunity to live a life with equal enjoyment as someone better educated and more skilled. The debate is always where that line is. Clearly we see medicare and Medicaid and other programs bankrupting our society, so we cant continue to keep raising standards.

Uh... what the fuck are you talking about? That has literally nothing to do with anything I just said. All I said was that people aren't going to move if their expenses at the new job / town result in them having LESS money than they did before, and that a lot of people are finding that to be the case.
Gold: 1,945.00
Oct 12 2017 03:28pm
Quote (AspenSniper @ Oct 12 2017 03:11pm)

Ew, what?

Can't even take this thread seriously now.
Gold: 752.10
Oct 12 2017 04:21pm
Quote (Xandriia @ Oct 12 2017 03:28pm)
Ew, what?

Can't even take this thread seriously now.

The way he posts is the poor should thank the wealthy for their shantys and 2 daily meals of rice and beans (If they are that fortunate). How dare they want a better life! Cut back moar and you will join the elite.

This post was edited by nobrow on Oct 12 2017 04:21pm
Gold: 1,945.00
Oct 12 2017 04:35pm
Quote (nobrow @ Oct 12 2017 04:21pm)
The way he posts is the poor should thank the wealthy for their shantys and 2 daily meals of rice and beans (If they are that fortunate). How dare they want a better life! Cut back moar and you will join the elite.

Guess I need to stop buying avocado toast, then maybe I can make something of my life
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12346Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll