d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Health Insurance Vs Car Accidents > Duffington Post Exclusive
Prev167891011Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 11,571.00
Sep 23 2017 07:52am
Quote (Skinned @ Sep 23 2017 06:45am)
Ok false equivolence. That is a no u answer. We aren't talking about colors and arguments by analogy are still the weakest argument.

You know what "red is blue" is representative of no need to be daft.

The dynamics of marriage, once again, is not what's being argued here. At the end of the day marriage was still between the opposite sexes. Rome married heterosexually & diddled boys before Christianity showed up on the scene. Why didn't they marry same sex even if it was culturally accept to have sexual relationships with them? Can you explain that? Is it maybe because marriage was defined in a certain way?

Ancient civilizations that preceded those ones also practiced marriage. You call my understanding ahistoric yet i can point to every culture and it follows my definition.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Sep 23 2017 07:55am
Gold: 285.00
Sep 23 2017 08:04am
Quote (ofthevoid @ Sep 23 2017 08:52am)

You know what "red is blue" is representative of no need to be daft.

The dynamics of marriage, once again, is not what's being argued here. At the end of the day marriage was still between the opposite sexes. Rome married heterosexually & diddled boys before Christianity showed up on the scene. Why didn't they marry same sex even if it was culturally accept to have sexual relationships with them? Can you explain that? Is it maybe because marriage was defined in a certain way?

Ancient civilizations that preceded those ones also practiced marriage. You call my understanding ahistoric yet i can point to every culture and it follows my definition.

Rome and Greece were monogamous in marriage, which was an uncommon practice in that time. The rest of the West that developed from Greece and Rome was also predominately monogamous. This is European history. We have a lot of people of European descent in America saying that this short history of this one tradition is the objective truth about this tradition, even though Europe isn't the whole world and even in Europe now there are places where gay people can get married, so this appeal to tradition isn't really something that has legs anyway...because it is still a European tradition, marriage is traditional, and it has expanded to include more people now. You can talk about Red, Blue, and Green/Yellow all you want but that is off topic.

I don't see why you are being so shitty about gay people emulating you. If you think you're culture is right and best, and moral, you should be thrilled that it is expanding to include other people or that people are choosing through their own free will to become more like you, since you appear to believe that being different from you is bad. But even with them becoming more like you, you are still being shitty about it. I just don't understand. I feel like you're systemically unhappy and that no matter what happens you will be unhappy, because you are fundamentally at war with reality, the set of circumstances that is constantly everchanging, which you seem to want to hold still or stay the same.

Faust was about this, the Goethe version. Liberals didn't change all this....the industrial revolution and the constant changing and advancing of the means of production have caused this. Traditional living was sacrificed for capitalism, yet you try to embrace these diametrically opposing forces.

You know that this whole gay rights thing wouldn't have gotten this far if it hadn't undergone commodification. Capitalism has given it a platform, its own sections in book stores, its own news papers, its own television shows, its own movies, lol. I think this is where a lot of your cognitive and social dissonance is coming from. My advice is just to let go. People are going to live how they will and most differences between people are just cultural. I used to have an idea of how things should be....but now that I meet so many people I more feel like people are weird and there's a lid for every pot out there.
Sep 23 2017 08:22am
Quote (Skinned @ Sep 23 2017 07:04am)
Rome and Greece were monogamous in marriage, which was an uncommon practice in that time. The rest of the West that developed from Greece and Rome was also predominately monogamous. This is European history. We have a lot of people of European descent in America saying that this short history of this one tradition is the objective truth about this tradition, even though Europe isn't the whole world and even in Europe now there are places where gay people can get married, so this appeal to tradition isn't really something that has legs anyway...because it is still a European tradition, marriage is traditional, and it has expanded to include more people now. You can talk about Red, Blue, and Green/Yellow all you want but that is off topic.

I don't see why you are being so shitty about gay people emulating you. If you think you're culture is right and best, and moral, you should be thrilled that it is expanding to include other people or that people are choosing through their own free will to become more like you, since you appear to believe that being different from you is bad. But even with them becoming more like you, you are still being shitty about it. I just don't understand. I feel like you're systemically unhappy and that no matter what happens you will be unhappy, because you are fundamentally at war with reality, the set of circumstances that is constantly everchanging, which you seem to want to hold still or stay the same.

Faust was about this, the Goethe version. Liberals didn't change all this....the industrial revolution and the constant changing and advancing of the means of production have caused this. Traditional living was sacrificed for capitalism, yet you try to embrace these diametrically opposing forces.

You know that this whole gay rights thing wouldn't have gotten this far if it hadn't undergone commodification. Capitalism has given it a platform, its own sections in book stores, its own news papers, its own television shows, its own movies, lol. I think this is where a lot of your cognitive and social dissonance is coming from. My advice is just to let go. People are going to live how they will and most differences between people are just cultural. I used to have an idea of how things should be....but now that I meet so many people I more feel like people are weird and there's a lid for every pot out there.

I'm a Christian. It's impossible to be a Christian and believe in moral relativism, they are mutually exclusive. I've examined both and long ago came to the conclusion that my faith takes precedence above all else, not because i blindly believe it but because from my analysis & experience it's correct. You are forcing your "there is no absolute truth" down my throat and saying what i believe is about oppression or whatever when in reality you as a relativist cannot accept that some people believe in absolutes. And stop with the you're unhappy hurr durr, you're projecting.
Gold: 119,903.34
Sep 23 2017 08:42am
Quote (ofthevoid @ Sep 23 2017 09:22am)
I'm a Christian. It's impossible to be a Christian and believe in moral relativism, they are mutually exclusive. I've examined both and long ago came to the conclusion that my faith takes precedence above all else, not because i blindly believe it but because from my analysis & experience it's correct. You are forcing your "there is no absolute truth" down my throat and saying what i believe is about oppression or whatever when in reality you as a relativist cannot accept that some people believe in absolutes. And stop with the you're unhappy hurr durr, you're projecting.

Only a sith deals in absolutes.
Sep 23 2017 08:56am
Quote (ofthevoid @ Sep 23 2017 09:22am)

If you take faith over reason then please start off an intellectual conversation with that :)

I can accept that. From my point of view you're projecting your subjective experience into objective reality called Natural Law, as created by Plato and Aristotle in the Western tradition, and deified by the Catholic church. I believe in an atomic universe with relativity between mass and energy. I suppose these two things are irreconcilable.
Sep 23 2017 09:02am
Quote (Skinned @ Sep 23 2017 07:56am)
If you take faith over reason then please start off an intellectual conversation with that :)

I can accept that. From my point of view you're projecting your subjective experience into objective reality called Natural Law, as created by Plato and Aristotle in the Western tradition, and deified by the Catholic church. I believe in an atomic universe with relativity between mass and energy. I suppose these two things are irreconcilable.

Implying relativists have a monopoly on intellectualism and that their outlook is the only objective truth.

The age old " if you were only as smart as I then you'd agree with me" argument. Nice one mate.

Skinned closed minded/10

I've reasoned enough on marriage and my perspective is supported by history, yours...not so much.

Oh and sigh lords are much cooler than the faggy Jedis, thanks mate

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Sep 23 2017 09:05am
Sep 23 2017 09:07am
Quote (ofthevoid @ Sep 23 2017 10:02am)
Implying relativists have a monopoly on intellectualism and that their outlook is the only objective truth.

The age old " if you were only as smart as I then you'd agree with me" argument. Nice one mate.

Skinned closed minded/10

I've reasoned enough on marriage and my perspective is supported by history, yours...not so much.

Oh and sigh lords are much cooler than the faggy Jedis, thanks mate

Your argument is "I believe", which I do not find persuasive.
Sep 23 2017 09:12am
Quote (Skinned @ Sep 23 2017 08:07am)
Your argument is "I believe", which I do not find persuasive.

My argument is x has been x for millennia. Your argument invokes emotion and essentially says y can be x because x is relative and now y can also be x.

We're going in circles at this point.

Gold: 2,617.52
Sep 23 2017 11:52am
Quote (sir_lance_bb @ Sep 23 2017 10:42am)
Only a sith deals in absolutes.

Only a moron takes George Lucas seriously.
Gold: 260.11
Sep 23 2017 11:57am
Quote (ofthevoid @ Sep 23 2017 09:12am)
My argument is x has been x for millennia. Your argument invokes emotion and essentially says y can be x because x is relative and now y can also be x.

We're going in circles at this point.

You need to work on understanding yourself, because your lack of introspection is making it impossible to understand others.

Your horrible misrepresentation of Skinned's position shows that pretty clearly, and the fact that your argument isn't even actually an argument.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev167891011Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll