d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Motor Sports & Cars > Steering Issues > 99 Hyundai Tiburon Fx
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 381.00
Trader: Trusted
Sep 18 2017 11:16am
Quote (tagged4nothing @ Oct 7 2016 03:47pm)
i have an automatic 99 hyundai tiburon i'm trying to fix up.

symptom 1: my steering wheel starts at 12:00 center. as i accelerate anywhere faster than "granny" speed my steering wheel center now becomes 11:00. when i let my car lose G-force, as i approach my planned top speed, the center very quickly and harshly returns to a normal 12:00. this will throw me left into oncoming traffic if i am not anticipating the sudden steering wheel jerk.

symptom 2: my steering wheel starts at 12:00 center. as i take a right turn with any noticeable amount of G-force, an example of i am turning the steering wheel myself from 12:00 to 1:30 around 45mph, the steering wheel center becomes 11:00. this makes my 1:30 right turn at 45mph a 2:30 right turn until i slow down or lose the G-force. this symptom is the scary one as it's not something that can be anticipated. i just have to take right turns slowly. highway travel at speed limit is impossible with any sort of right turns causing G-force.

i am mechanical but not a mechanic. the only bit i know of steering is what i've been looking into.

this is what i have diagnosed wrong so far.
* outer tie rod end passenger side shakes slightly and needs to be replaced.
* the axle on the passenger side has a broken axle bearing resting on it. the boot is untorn and in decent condition. i'm guessing someone replaced an axle bearing before and didn't bother to take the broken one off the axle.
* the control arm inner bearing driver side is loose. the rubber is torn and cracked. the nut freely spins. needs to be replaced.

i will be fixing all i have noticed but am still not sure this is going to solve my issue. the control arm bearing might do it, but i'm hoping someone can confirm or point me where to look.

i've been driving it like this for just over 2 years now. the situation is the same, but at least it's not any worse. i've become rather used to driving it as is.
i've recently had someone tell me it could be i'm missing a tooth on my pinion. the little G-force is enough to slip off that tooth to the next. i do not know yet, but that sounds possible.

i'm hoping i could try this forum again and see if anyone might take a stab at trouble-shooting this. if you have any questions first, i'll do my best to answer them.
i realize this isn't the easiest thing to describe as i cannot find anything on google about this. i have searched using numerous different words that might find a match, and i can't.
Gold: 1,363.36
Sep 18 2017 05:58pm
start by fixing up your front suspension this will solve your problem
you fucking public danger
Sep 18 2017 10:54pm
Quote (Subban @ Sep 18 2017 06:58pm)
start by fixing up your front suspension this will solve your problem
you fucking public danger

lol ok, not very helpful, but you say suspension then. that's actually a first someone has mentioned the suspension being an issue.

any ideas from someone who doesn't only "think" they are helpful?
Gold: 3.75
Sep 19 2017 03:09am
Quote (tagged4nothing @ Sep 18 2017 11:54pm)
lol ok, not very helpful, but you say suspension then. that's actually a first someone has mentioned the suspension being an issue.

derping hard the control arms are crucial to the steering and suspension mkay.

fix what you already listed tie rods bushings ect and the issues should clear up and you can stop being a hazard.
Sep 19 2017 08:14am
Quote (tagged4nothing @ Sep 19 2017 12:54am)

dude loose tie rods and banged up control arm bushing give the exact symptom youre complaining
Atleast do this before going for a broken g-force thooth bearing on the rack
Sep 19 2017 10:52am
Quote (Subban @ Sep 19 2017 09:14am)
dude loose tie rods and banged up control arm bushing give the exact symptom youre complaining
Atleast do this before going for a broken g-force thooth bearing on the rack

that delivery is way better.

if possible, it would be nice to see someone confirm your words. i've already noted that you are in this line of biz. however i am truly a bit amazed if this would be the problem. more-so, because i've spoken to a couple mechanics and they have all mentioned a different problem.
the first mechanic told me it was the half-shaft bearing. i've thoroughly checked, we can cross that off the list.
at this time i was planning to buy a kit on-line and replace the suspension and some steering components. then i talked to another mechanic i know and he was the one to mention the rack and pinion. i put my work on hold because it would seem i'd have to take a lot of what i replaced off, to get to the rack and pinion if i needed to.

so ya, i'm basically here hoping to use you guys to determine if i'll need to buy that rack and pinion or not along with the set.
your diagnosis is noted, again i'm hoping more than just 1 person can confirm this. with my knowledge, it's hard to tell who is right and who isn't.
Gold: 5,895.00
Sep 19 2017 02:14pm
Would be a lot more fun car if it was a manual, I also know my post is absolutely off topic from what you're asking.

Somehow, I hope this helped.
Sep 19 2017 04:43pm
Put it to drive, press the brake pedal then floor the gas if you hear a deep clicking sound or the wheel seem to pop of the fender dont look further

also if i remember correctly these cars are prone to corroded crossmember. There is a recall for this and hyundai will put a new one for free
Sep 23 2017 09:34am
there is a deep click when attempting this. i am fairly certain that sound i am hearing though is the A-frame shifting slightly on that rotted bearing.
something to note, the steering didn't replicate the issue is always has doing this. i realize the brake kept me from taking off fast, minimizing the g-force. it is noted anyway.

about the recall. it has been some time now, but i recall checking on the recalls matched to this VIN. I am fairly positive there were expiration dates on free replacements.
i'll check through again before i make any parts order.
Gold: 23.20
Dec 9 2017 05:24pm
Control arms
Go Back To Motor Sports & Cars Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll