d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Mac Noob Needs Help
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 40,188.92
Sep 12 2017 07:20pm
so my wife has a mac book pro (i think its model MC721LL/A) and it was acting funny for her the other day...she thought she spilled coffee on it so she took it to some local repair place to have it looked at...they told her there was no spill issue but there was a graphics error and her model had a recall but it had expired and there was nothing for her to do

we brought it home and after like 100 tries of starting it up it finally turned on but was short lived as it only lasted about a day or 2 (when i was turning it on it would come up with a load bar and get about 75% before shutting off or not starting)

i then tried again tonight messing with it...i was able to get the macOS Utilities screen up that has the "restore from time machine/reinstall macos/get help/disk utility...when i went to disk utility it showed the internal disk at 499.9 of 500 and zero available (purge able + free)

i know nothing about macs but im wondering if maybe this is actually the issue of why its not starting? is there any way to remove some data from the hard drive without clearing the whole thing bc if i do that she will kill me?

any help would be great since i have no clue what im doing

also would be willing to tip if we can get this solved :)

thanks
Gold: 10,655.00
Sep 12 2017 07:25pm

I'm not a MAC person at all, but that does seem excessive.
Yes on normal windows PCs a full hard drive will definitely screw things up...I would think it would be the same for a MAC.

Just have her start moving (to an external drive or w/e) stuff that she knows is hers. Aka not MAC OS stuff. Aim for at least 15% free space.
Gold: 18,352.00
Sep 13 2017 05:10am
Boot with a linux disk and move/delete content from the drive.
If it still has issues there after try reaching out to

https://forums.d2jsp.org/user.php?i=434953
Gold: 40,188.92
Sep 13 2017 04:24pm
Thanks for the replies. Im going to try booting in single user mode to see if i can remove some files tonight and report the outcome
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll