d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > Sup Doodz > Gaining Weight
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 380.01
Sep 5 2017 07:41am
Yo ninjas, I started talking to/taking out this physique competitor and this has reallllly kicked my ass into gear. As of last weekend I set myself a goal to gain a minimum of 25 lbs by December 31st. Since 8/28 I have gained 7 lbs (weighing myself after I pee in the mornings). At my heaviest I was a lean 172 lbs when I was in the Army so I'm trying to get close to that. I've been eating everrrrything in sight. Oh yeah, idk if any of you remember my devils lettuce thread but I've started that up and it's helping immensely with joint pain, sleeping, and gives me the appetite of CMBurns. Do you bros think 25 lbs in 4 months is even realistic? Ofc I need to start meal prepping and whatnot but I'm loving the way I feel eating so much and hitting the gym hard. I've been eating a lot of chicken, salmon, mahi mahi, mac n cheese, tacos, PB&Js between meals, etc.

8/28/17 - 5'10" 143lbs (yes, scrawn AF)
9/3/17 - 151lbs
9/5/17 - 149lbs (yes, still scrawn)

Hit me with some ideas for prepped meals bros! Also a good 3 day and a 4 day split routine (which muscle groups on which days etc)
Retired Moderator
Gold: 505.00
Trader: Trusted
Sep 5 2017 10:25am
Bulking is easy, lean bulking is the holy grail. 25 pounds of quality muscle over 4 months is a stretch. The best I ever did was in 10th grade when I went up 35 pounds in the Spring (c. 128->165) . Creatine + ate like heck + leg gains + young so had a lot of room to fill out and I was still growing a bit anyway.

If you're not using creatine you can easily pull off 7-12 pounds of lean gain over 4 months -- maybe a little more overall.

The rest needs to be raw caloric gain. So yeah, it can be done but it won't be easy.

Are you looking to gain while getting leaner or while getting fat?

Food scale + myfitnesspal or similar app + add goal to app + eat like a fool = best odds to do it naturally.

If you're looking for hypertrophy tbh I'd recommend more than 4d of lifting/wk. You could try a gainer with carbs + MCTs, something over 2k calories/dose. I've seen stuff that goes up to 4k+.

Meals plans = plan to eat everything in sight. At two points in my life I got up to the 10k+ calorie/d diet and it's actually sickening. Literally, it's just gross and you start to hate food. Pizza, pasta, chicken and wonton soup became my life.

If you can be more specific about which way you're trying to gain (lean or just bulk like a pig), you'll get better answers. You shouldn't have much trouble going +25 pounds in 4 months but if you're planning to lean gain ... damn son.

This post was edited by RewtheBrave on Sep 5 2017 10:26am
Gold: 2,407.00
Sep 5 2017 10:44am
I'm trying to lean bulk right now. At about 1lb per week initially.
Sep 5 2017 10:52am
Quote (RewtheBrave @ Sep 5 2017 12:25pm)
Bulking is easy, lean bulking is the holy grail. 25 pounds of quality muscle over 4 months is a stretch. The best I ever did was in 10th grade when I went up 35 pounds in the Spring (c. 128->165) . Creatine + ate like heck + leg gains + young so had a lot of room to fill out and I was still growing a bit anyway.

If you're not using creatine you can easily pull off 7-12 pounds of lean gain over 4 months -- maybe a little more overall.

The rest needs to be raw caloric gain. So yeah, it can be done but it won't be easy.

Are you looking to gain while getting leaner or while getting fat?

Food scale + myfitnesspal or similar app + add goal to app + eat like a fool = best odds to do it naturally.

If you're looking for hypertrophy tbh I'd recommend more than 4d of lifting/wk. You could try a gainer with carbs + MCTs, something over 2k calories/dose. I've seen stuff that goes up to 4k+.

Meals plans = plan to eat everything in sight. At two points in my life I got up to the 10k+ calorie/d diet and it's actually sickening. Literally, it's just gross and you start to hate food. Pizza, pasta, chicken and wonton soup became my life.

If you can be more specific about which way you're trying to gain (lean or just bulk like a pig), you'll get better answers. You shouldn't have much trouble going +25 pounds in 4 months but if you're planning to lean gain ... damn son.

I'm just looking to gain any sort of weight possible. I'm very lean now so it couldn't hurt for me to put on a few % bf. I think that even bulking like a pig I'll still stay pretty lean. Maybe my goal is a bit out of reach but I'm going to try my best to make it happen. How many meals/snacks per day would you recommend? Also what should these meals/snacks consist of? (I eat a lot of junk food now so idc if it's a 'dirty' bulk)

10k a day?! That's insane lol!
Gold: 22.00
Sep 5 2017 01:26pm
glad to hear you're sleeping well, #1 sleep aid for sure

here's some of my go-to meal preps. all have this in common: solid carbs/fat/protein, are easy to cook up, cheap to make, and keep well for a week or longer in the fridge.

got a blender or food processor? try to make fresh tikka masala
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-VjBxMufhw

thai curry is so versatile, red coconut curry :drool:
http://www.food.com/recipe/scrumptious-thai-coconut-red-curry-214590
i've never been able to find bamboo shoot, it doesn't need it, but you can put whatever veggies you want in it. jasmine rice is great for this, it cooks quickly too.

POKE. substitute the sushi-grade tuna with lean beef or even cooked salmon, so it's cheaper and doesn't go bad:
https://www.popsugar.com/food/Tuna-Poke-Bowl-Avocado-39646440

have made all of these recipes personally. they're slammin.

This post was edited by Wretch on Sep 5 2017 01:28pm
Sep 6 2017 08:04am
Yo Wretch thanks dood, I'll try those!
Gold: 192.00
Sep 6 2017 10:55pm
aiy, you can put on 25lbs in 4 months, but it's going to be a good proportion of fat unless you go the juice route (it might even look okay and fill you out a bit if you are low enough bf right now)..you will need to eat 700-800+ calories above your maintenance levels every day to hit that

i put on a bit over 50lbs and got stupid strong in the year leading up to my first season of college track..that was by eating EVERYTHING, carrying a cooler full of food around with me every day, having 3-4 shakes a day, eating between sets of throws at practice, and eventually even dipping pizza in olive oil and putting heavy cream on ice cream..it can be done, but eating does become a chore (which is hard for me to say given my love of food lol)
Sep 7 2017 06:51am
Quote (bnrhodes2 @ Sep 7 2017 12:55am)
aiy, you can put on 25lbs in 4 months, but it's going to be a good proportion of fat unless you go the juice route (it might even look okay and fill you out a bit if you are low enough bf right now)..you will need to eat 700-800+ calories above your maintenance levels every day to hit that

i put on a bit over 50lbs and got stupid strong in the year leading up to my first season of college track..that was by eating EVERYTHING, carrying a cooler full of food around with me every day, having 3-4 shakes a day, eating between sets of throws at practice, and eventually even dipping pizza in olive oil and putting heavy cream on ice cream..it can be done, but eating does become a chore (which is hard for me to say given my love of food lol)

Yoooooo what's up brah?! I have options to go the juice route but I don't think I'll ever do that. I've always stayed below 10% bf (prob closer to 6, idk just a guess) so I'm not even concerned about gaining some fat. If anything it might make me look better because when I look in the mirror I feel like I just survived the holocaust. I woke up this morning at 150 so I'm keeping the weight on so far. I made 5 lbs of chicken breast yesterday so I have good meals for a few days. I'll probably grill more on sunday for next week. What do you do for sides with your meals? I bought a rice cooker but the shit is so bland (nothin a little tapatio can't fix)! As far as supps go I've only taken like 2 scoops of creatine in the last two weeks and preworkout on some days that I hit the gym. I definitely need to get at least a shake a day in my routine also. I LOVE my olive oil lol! Yesterday it was almost unbearable to keep shoveling more food in lol
Retired Moderator
Gold: 505.00
Trader: Trusted
Sep 7 2017 07:56am
@Wretch: stop making me hungry :drool:

Quote (Delbow @ 5 Sep 2017 12:52)
I'm just looking to gain any sort of weight possible. I'm very lean now so it couldn't hurt for me to put on a few % bf. I think that even bulking like a pig I'll still stay pretty lean. Maybe my goal is a bit out of reach but I'm going to try my best to make it happen. How many meals/snacks per day would you recommend? Also what should these meals/snacks consist of? (I eat a lot of junk food now so idc if it's a 'dirty' bulk)

10k a day?! That's insane lol!

10k a day is what it takes to gain crazy fast while doing hard athletic training. I know of some NFL guys that ... wow, just wow. Like eating a turkey as one meal every day kind of wow. I've seen prime Shaq's snack prep before ... fml. 10k is nothing compared to the real big pigs, trust me. It's excessive but very do-able.

Alas, you can make the gains you want without even eating junk food. Junk food isn't bad just b/c it's empty calories: it's bad b/c it's toxic, and fat (what gets added if you randomly bulk) stores toxins. There is no set # of meals/snacks per day but I would say the way I did it was to essentially graze all day. I can recall this being pretty typical after school in grade 10, all within a 2h period:

4 bowls of cereal w/ milk
6 eggs, any style
2k calorie protein shake
4-8 hamburgers
1-2 steaks
a few potatoes or cobs of corn

That's not counting a full dinner that I would usually eat. That was a pretty typical routine, because I'd get home at maybe 6pm, and I'd need and need an hour to spare before working out from 9-11 most nights. And I'd probably have another2k+ calories protein shake pre-workout or intra-workout. Sometimes I'd bring 2L of orange juice with me for the workout. The idea was just to pack in the calories b/c I was a junior playing senior rugby. So that's what I would eat after school, and I would usually bring two lunches to school, or maybe go to subway and eat 1.5 feet of sub with a drink and a cookie.

If you want to gain a lot of weight fast it takes that kind of eating. In university, when I was crazy active, I did pigging out differently. Not including breakfast and lunch, I'd eat 2-3 slices of pizza, make 450-900 g pasta each day, and have my 72 wonton soup. Same basic theory but I could force the soup down while resting watching tv so I could hit the exercise bike later. I was played 2-4 hours of basketball every day at that point. Thing is, I was just maintaining 165 pounds lol.

So, stop thinking about how many meals and just worry about the calories in and out if you're bulking. Prep what you can, load everything else, and try to time things so you don't get indigestion or too much fatigue time when you need energy :)
Sep 8 2017 08:16am
Quote (RewtheBrave @ Sep 7 2017 09:56am)
@Wretch: stop making me hungry :drool:

10k a day is what it takes to gain crazy fast while doing hard athletic training. I know of some NFL guys that ... wow, just wow. Like eating a turkey as one meal every day kind of wow. I've seen prime Shaq's snack prep before ... fml. 10k is nothing compared to the real big pigs, trust me. It's excessive but very do-able.

Alas, you can make the gains you want without even eating junk food. Junk food isn't bad just b/c it's empty calories: it's bad b/c it's toxic, and fat (what gets added if you randomly bulk) stores toxins. There is no set # of meals/snacks per day but I would say the way I did it was to essentially graze all day. I can recall this being pretty typical after school in grade 10, all within a 2h period:

4 bowls of cereal w/ milk
6 eggs, any style
2k calorie protein shake
4-8 hamburgers
1-2 steaks
a few potatoes or cobs of corn

That's not counting a full dinner that I would usually eat. That was a pretty typical routine, because I'd get home at maybe 6pm, and I'd need and need an hour to spare before working out from 9-11 most nights. And I'd probably have another2k+ calories protein shake pre-workout or intra-workout. Sometimes I'd bring 2L of orange juice with me for the workout. The idea was just to pack in the calories b/c I was a junior playing senior rugby. So that's what I would eat after school, and I would usually bring two lunches to school, or maybe go to subway and eat 1.5 feet of sub with a drink and a cookie.

If you want to gain a lot of weight fast it takes that kind of eating. In university, when I was crazy active, I did pigging out differently. Not including breakfast and lunch, I'd eat 2-3 slices of pizza, make 450-900 g pasta each day, and have my 72 wonton soup. Same basic theory but I could force the soup down while resting watching tv so I could hit the exercise bike later. I was played 2-4 hours of basketball every day at that point. Thing is, I was just maintaining 165 pounds lol.

So, stop thinking about how many meals and just worry about the calories in and out if you're bulking. Prep what you can, load everything else, and try to time things so you don't get indigestion or too much fatigue time when you need energy :)

That's not including dinner?! Lmao that's insane!!! Hopefully I'll fine tune some things (food-wise) this weekend because I've just been eating a lot randomly throughout the day. I definitely need to get healthier snacks to keep around instead of doritos and queso everyday lmao. I weighed 149 this morning :fume:
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll