d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Homework Help > Ways To Improve Your Writing Skills?
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Aug 21 2017 12:34am
Topic... I realize I'll need better writing skills for college. So it's something I would love to work on prior. Any ideas?
Gold: 120.00
Aug 21 2017 01:59pm
Read as much as you can. There are no good writers out there who are not also good readers. You will learn more advanced words, sentence structures, writing styles, etc. Try reading different types of sources too, I.e. The official news is written differently than certain articles. Find something you enjoy and read about it.

You can also try joining forums or certain social media and practice sharing your views through writing. By this I do not mean Twitter. There are even political/religious forums on JSP where people have discussions. Look up different forums, online websites (for their comment sections) and media.

You could write for fun. Pick topics you are super interested in and practice writing a couple paragraphs to a couple pages about them. Learn how to find and cite good sources.

Gold: 0.00
Aug 21 2017 02:01pm
Quote (1messdkid @ Aug 21 2017 03:59pm)
Read as much as you can. There are no good writers out there who are not also good readers. You will learn more advanced words, sentence structures, writing styles, etc. Try reading different types of sources too, I.e. The official news is written differently than certain articles. Find something you enjoy and read about it.

You can also try joining forums or certain social media and practice sharing your views through writing. By this I do not mean Twitter. There are even political/religious forums on JSP where people have discussions. Look up different forums, online websites (for their comment sections) and media.

You could write for fun. Pick topics you are super interested in and practice writing a couple paragraphs to a couple pages about them. Learn how to find and cite good sources.

Gold: 6,723.69
Aug 21 2017 11:22pm
Be open-minded about feedback. If you're going to practice and have the World see it then you will surely be critized, and not always by the nice people.
It will help you when you can filter out the useful information of feedback and make it your own if you see fit!
Gold: 4,600.00
Aug 26 2017 10:05am
Use a dictionary while reading. Seriously. If you encounter a word you don't know, or are even remotely unsure of, look it up. I had to do this constantly in college and my vocabulary exploded. But don't stop there - actively try to use those unfamiliar words in your writing or in conversation. They'll stick better that way.

Also if you are REALLY interested in becoming a great writer, take on some freelance writing gigs for researched articles and such (never crappy filler/blog ring articles). It's like homework but with money. The feedback from your clients will help you improve, and most clients are already great writers themselves, so it's something like getting mentored.
Gold: 2,848.72
Warn: 80%
Aug 26 2017 10:08am
Pay someone to proof read it. I learned alot from reading other people's work, then offering tips.
So I'm sure you would get something off of sharing what you write privately and having someone criticise
Gold: 554.69
Aug 27 2017 01:19am
Read as much badly translated hentai manga as possible. Take notes on the engrish and make sure not to talk or write like they do.

Also fap.

Lmk if this works for you :D

This post was edited by BMNation on Aug 27 2017 01:20am
Gold: 1.69
Aug 27 2017 07:44pm
Quote (1messdkid @ 21 Aug 2017 15:59)

This is very important. A few more tips.

As you will likely learn in college, you will probably be able to access your schools storage of resources online, cites they have subscribed to which have all sorts of different essays and journals which are peer reviewed. These are very important if you are doing any sort of research paper for any sort of topic it may be on.
Gold: 120.00
Aug 27 2017 09:58pm
Quote (ChrisKz @ Aug 27 2017 09:44pm)
This is very important. A few more tips.

As you will likely learn in college, you will probably be able to access your schools storage of resources online, cites they have subscribed to which have all sorts of different essays and journals which are peer reviewed. These are very important if you are doing any sort of research paper for any sort of topic it may be on.

Yes, this 100%. One of the biggest problems with writers these days is that they can't find, or simply don't have access to, quality information and research to use. Just because something looks like it's reliable doesn't mean it is. Try researching (if you don't know about it already) how to debunk bad research/polls/surveys, how to spot pseudoscience, etc. Even if it doesn't help you in every type of writing you may come across, it will help you infinitely in real life as well.
Gold: 260.11
Aug 28 2017 07:58pm
Just take classes and take your instructor's feedback seriously.

They never assume you have writing skills until you are in a class high enough that you've been forced to develop them previously.
Go Back To Homework Help Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll