d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature > Higher Dimensions In Space-time Explained. > Hosted By Brian Greene
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 260.11
Aug 19 2017 08:55am
Quote (BebebBurns @ Aug 19 2017 03:00am)
no, one thread for each subject is much much better
gonna watch these videos

I guess it doesn't really matter since the forum is so slow, just drowns out everything except Epoch threads when he makes a new one every day
Gold: 260.11
Aug 19 2017 08:59am
Quote (iDoYardWork @ Aug 18 2017 10:28pm)
My point is simply that people call time a dimension with little consideration for what that means and poorly draw distinctions between that and spatial dimensions. Furthermore, dimensions past the 3rd act as little more than calculational tools and really aren't particularly relevant. It's buzz word Physics.

I was hoping to learn something if one of you feels otherwise.

That is not true. Theorizing is a very important step in the scientific process but does little more than create primarily weak ideas.

Yes, I suppose all science involves theory, but at a certain point there isn't enough experiment to differentiate between science and faith. This is what the conspiracy nutters mean when they call us gravity priests.

Your understanding of theory is fundamentally flawed. A theory is an abstraction that explains why observations work the way they do. All science, even "proven" science, relies on theory. All of the important ideas in science will forever be theory.

Your understanding of what constitutes a dimension is also flawed. Just do a little reading into relativity to understand why time and space are deeply intertwined, and time cannot be removed as a dimension without basically destroying all of physics.

You don't even need to read into relativity though, any introductory physics class is deeply dependent on time as a dimension. I know Sky has taken physics classes, which is one of the reasons it's weird that his understanding of the subject matter is so poor he would say time isn't a dimension. Then again, engineer.
Gold: 3.37
Aug 19 2017 09:26am
I used to make more, and on more varied topics.

Lately I stick to my interests.
Gold: 30.00
Aug 22 2017 08:12pm
Quote (Ep0ch @ Aug 19 2017 12:52am)
Because of the nature of the univer and our owrception of it, nothing is cwrtain thus everything is theoretical.

Spare me
Theoretical are the answers and explanations, experimental and theoretical is the process. Everything is theoretical is a hard statement to agree with.

This post was edited by iDoYardWork on Aug 22 2017 08:19pm
Aug 22 2017 10:18pm
Quote (iDoYardWork @ Aug 22 2017 09:12pm)
Spare me
Theoretical are the answers and explanations, experimental and theoretical is the process. Everything is theoretical is a hard statement to agree with.

In the strictest sense of the term it is true.
Gold: 30.00
Aug 24 2017 11:21am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Aug 19 2017 10:59am)
Your understanding of theory is fundamentally flawed. A theory is an abstraction that explains why observations work the way they do. All science, even "proven" science, relies on theory. All of the important ideas in science will forever be theory.

Your understanding of what constitutes a dimension is also flawed. Just do a little reading into relativity to understand why time and space are deeply intertwined, and time cannot be removed as a dimension without basically destroying all of physics.

You don't even need to read into relativity though, any introductory physics class is deeply dependent on time as a dimension. I know Sky has taken physics classes, which is one of the reasons it's weird that his understanding of the subject matter is so poor he would say time isn't a dimension. Then again, engineer.

I formerly taught at a University and my degree is in Physics. I suggest more carefully reading what I said because your response seems to me to be to entirely different words. Calm down the fire bucko, it doesn't look good on you.

Quote (Ep0ch @ Aug 23 2017 12:18am)
In the strictest sense of the term it is true.

Yea, in the sense that an experiment only theoretically should be able to disprove something. I'd still call that an experimental stage of arguable impotrance comparable to that of the hypothesizing stage.

This post was edited by iDoYardWork on Aug 24 2017 11:25am
Aug 24 2017 06:09pm
Agreed
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll