d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Giftgivers Rejoice!
Prev12347Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 7,371.00
Jul 29 2017 10:49pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jul 29 2017 09:42pm)
Yes, I do, because the very topic hinges on the importance of ignorance regarding HIV, which the conflation of AIDS and HIV is indicative of.

What your selected quote from the pharmacist leaves out is that HIV is a deadly infection only if left untreated, and that modern treatment has transformed HIV into a chronic/manageable infection rather than a deadly one. In fact, treatment is so effective that it can lead to suppressing the virus so much that a person is undetectable and incapable of passing the virus on to someone else. Laws like this still criminalize even in situations of people being undetectable despite the fact that 1) there's no risk of transmission, and 2) HIV is manageable.

With a nice price tag ranging from 24,000-60,000 per year for the rest of your life, no biggy. Meanwhile the person that knowingly inflicted you with this life-long disease might get some community service maybe even some probation if they have some other prior criminal record?

Such deterrence, much wow.

Gold: 10,655.00
Jul 29 2017 10:55pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jul 29 2017 11:42pm)
Yes, I do, because the very topic hinges on the importance of ignorance regarding HIV, which the conflation of AIDS and HIV is indicative of.

What your selected quote from the pharmacist leaves out is that HIV is a deadly infection only if left untreated, and that modern treatment has transformed HIV into a chronic/manageable infection rather than a deadly one. In fact, treatment is so effective that it can lead to suppressing the virus so much that a person is undetectable and incapable of passing the virus on to someone else. Laws like this still criminalize even in situations of people being undetectable despite the fact that 1) there's no risk of transmission, and 2) HIV is manageable.

Good point. However, the current law just says you have to tell the person.
Not telling is what brings down the felony.

I don't see anything wrong with the current law.

/e I'll even go further. Any politicians in California who are behind SB 239, should be given the HIV virus.

This post was edited by Ghot on Jul 29 2017 11:00pm
Gold: 7.77
Jul 29 2017 10:55pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jul 30 2017 04:49am)
With a nice price tag ranging from 24,000-60,000 per year for the rest of your life, no biggy. Meanwhile the person that knowingly inflicted you with this life-long disease might get some community service maybe even some probation if they have some other prior criminal record?

Such deterrence, much wow.

Great thing that HIV medication is largely covered by insurance and Ryan White funding. I thought you were big on personal responsibility? If you don't want to get HIV, then utilize your resources and use protection.
Gold: 7,371.00
Jul 29 2017 11:03pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jul 29 2017 09:55pm)
Great thing that HIV medication is largely covered by insurance and Ryan White funding.I thought you were big on personal responsibility? If you don't want to get HIV, then utilize your resources and use protection.

I am, hence me not understanding why removing the deterrence to knowingly inflicting someone with a life long disease is not a big deal.

The lefts answer to everything, the taxpayer or someone else can just pick up the bill, don't worry about it, it's totally kewl brah!!

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Jul 29 2017 11:04pm
Jul 29 2017 11:20pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jul 30 2017 05:03am)
I am, hence me not understanding why removing the deterrence to knowingly inflicting someone with a life long disease is not a big deal.

The lefts answer to everything, the taxpayer or someone else can just pick up the bill, don't worry about it, it's totally kewl brah!!

Because the law doesn't end up actually accomplishing what it hopes to accomplish. Overwhelmingly the law affects people engaged in sex work/survival sex (95% of the time in California), which the HIV criminalization laws then unintentionally become a deterrent for people to get tested because the law only becomes "in effect" after receiving an HIV positive test result. People engaged in this type of work rely on the money and resources gained from sex work/survival and them telling people that they have HIV isn't going to be good for business to say the least. So if you don't get tested, then there's nothing to worry about from these specific laws.

The laws still speak of HIV as though it's as deadly of an infection was it was in the 1980's, which it isn't, and further contributes to people in society being less likely to get tested because laws like this contribute to the narrative that HIV is scary and deadly.

There are far better ways to reduce HIV transmission while also decreasing stigma and increasing knowledge than by laws such as these.
Jul 29 2017 11:22pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jul 30 2017 12:20am)
Because the law doesn't end up actually accomplishing what it hopes to accomplish. Overwhelmingly the law affects people engaged in sex work/survival sex (95% of the time in California), which the HIV criminalization laws then unintentionally become a deterrent for people to get tested because the law only becomes "in effect" after receiving an HIV positive test result. People engaged in this type of work rely on the money and resources gained from sex work/survival and them telling people that they have HIV isn't going to be good for business to say the least. So if you don't get tested, then there's nothing to worry about from these specific laws.

The laws still speak of HIV as though it's as deadly of an infection was it was in the 1980's, which it isn't, and further contributes to people in society being less likely to get tested because laws like this contribute to the narrative that HIV is scary and deadly.

There are far better ways to reduce HIV transmission while also decreasing stigma and increasing knowledge than by laws such as these.

Prostitution is illegal in California, too.

Yes, there seems to be a loophole in the current law. Why not fix the loophole, rather than help spread HIV.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Jul 29 2017 11:31pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ 30 Jul 2017 06:20)

i see, the change didn't make much sense to me either, but it sounds like it's actually trying to solve a serious problem and is based on statistical findings.

i would say a better solution to this problem would be mandatory regular tests for registered sex workers, but then i remembered that prostitution is illegal in prude america...

This post was edited by fender on Jul 29 2017 11:32pm
Jul 29 2017 11:40pm
Quote (Ghot @ Jul 30 2017 05:22am)
Prostitution is illegal in California, too.

Yes, there seems to be a loophole in the current law. Why not fix the loophole, rather than help spread HIV.

Removing the laws don't/wouldn't "help spread HIV". HIV prevention is just far better accomplished than by laws like these.

Quote (fender @ Jul 30 2017 05:31am)
i see, the change didn't make much sense to me either, but it sounds like it's actually trying to solve a serious problem and is based on statistical findings.

i would say a better solution to this problem would be mandatory regular tests for registered sex workers, but then i remembered that prostitution is illegal in prude america...

Yeah, but that's how so much of public health goes though, that the most effective strategies tend to be counter-intuitive at first glance.

Just like how people think that sex education in schools is going to increase unintended pregnancies and STI rates, even though the opposite is true.

Or how people thought that needle exchange programs would encourage and worsen the opioid addiction crisis, even though the opposite is true.

This post was edited by Handcuffs on Jul 29 2017 11:42pm
Jul 29 2017 11:45pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jul 30 2017 12:40am)
Removing the laws don't/wouldn't "help spread HIV". HIV prevention is just far better accomplished than by laws like these.

Not telling your partner that you have HIV, will help spread HIV. I don't care how you dress it up with politics.

Jul 29 2017 11:50pm
Quote (Ghot @ Jul 30 2017 05:45am)
Not telling your partner that you have HIV, will help spread HIV. I don't care how you dress it up with politics.

This is categorically false. It's not about "dressing it up with politics" either. The most effective forms of HIV prevention include comprehensive sex education in schools combined with stigma-reducing knowledge regarding HIV that is accompanied by commensurate access to said methods.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12347Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll