d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > Looking For Advice On Running > Distance
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.44
Jul 26 2017 03:12pm
Just some simple advice:
Keep pushing/challenging yourself to go further and further, but be aware of your body. If you're experiencing pains *different from soreness*, give it a rest. For ex. other day my shin was starting to hurt when i was about to run 4-5miles and i stopped at 1 mile so not to injure myself cause nn shin splints. Resting the weekend and this monday i got right back to it without a problem.
Once you get used to running the distance, either kick it up to further distance, or slowly improve your speed.
At 5 miles in 60mins, that's a good distance for now. So as not to draw out the workout you should probably just start pushing yourself a little bit speed wise to slowly improve.
A fun little thing i like to do is at the last mile i run once i hit about .5 miles to go i start kicking the treadmill speed up by ~3 or more speeds every .1 miles for the last half mile. (I often kick it up more often then that)
But this way i get in a distance run and then a very fast mile for me at the end.

That last part is just b/c i enjoy it but running outside is probably more fun than running on a treadmill so it's definitely harder to do out there.
Gold: 69.19
Jul 27 2017 11:40am
Quote (FLegend @ Jul 26 2017 01:47pm)
So you've gotten bit by the runners bug! Excellent! It sounds like you are excited to start a new chapter of happiness and enjoyment in life which is running. I myself have been a fun loving distance runner for some time now and will be happy to help you along your journey.

As far as dieting goes I would recommend eating a lot of healthy foods such as fruits and vegetables. A blender works well for me and typically after a long run I will throw a mixture of kale, spinach, strawberries, blueberries, banana, pineapple, sliced beets, avocado, oats, and a scoop of whey protein. One supplement I feel that has benefited me is Glutamine which helps in muscle recovery but I'm sure there are plenty of others out there that will help and others that should be avoided.

As far as equipment dos and dont's I would recommend investing in a good pair of running shoes. I really like Mizuno (Wave rider 19's), Saucony (Ride 9'0 sand Hoka One One ( Clifton 2 /Bondi 5) If you are running on roads/hard surfaces do yourself a favor and invest in highly cushioned road shoes to save your joints some wear and tear. Segueing off this last point it is important not to get injured. Many new runners get addicted to running after a few months and increase their mileage too quickly and as a result injure themselves by running too much. You should do lots of stretches and even yoga to help prevent injuries as your mileage increases. Here are some good videos of pre and post yoga stretches;

1. pre run yoga = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9ks2LFQ-XI
2. post run yoha = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hf_u0AGdEA
(Keep in mind this is a really flexible little girl so don't hurt yourself by trying to bend as far as she does lol)

As far as high intensity interval training is concerned, this method can be an excellent way to increase strength and make you a faster running with more endurance. The number one factor that makes new runners both faster and gives them more endurance though, is increased mileage. By running more you will get better at it. These can be easy miles starting out where you are. Run a lot at a pace that you can hold a conversation with someone and over time running will get much easier.

Goals will help you become a better runner as well. You should first focus on shorter races before you get into the big guns of the marathon. 26.2 miles is a LONG and GRUELING run. This distance at first can be intimidating and will hurt your mental strength and physical capacity if you are not prepared for it. Don't jump right into these long races mate.
A great goal to strive for in the near future would be to complete a 5k (3.1 miles) in under 25 minutes. (That is about 8 minute per mile pace-Which is a great goal pace for a new runner.)
To train for this you can run half mile repeats at a pace faster than your goal 5k race pace (so 7:30 minute mile pace for only a half mile and repeat this 5 times or so.) This type of training is known as "tempo" running.

It will take time and discipline to reach your goals but you will become stronger, faster and happier because of it.

A good youtube channel of an accomplished runner who is a "youtube running trainer" and posts informative running videos is pro runner Sage Canaday
His youtube channel ; https://www.youtube.com/user/Vo2maxProductions

I will leave you with a motivational video of my favorite and arguably the greatest distance runner in the world; Kenenisa Bekele. I recommend watching it entirely.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kTFbdkm2gM

Your running journey will take you to places you never thought possible. Your mind will become stronger and and you will learn things about yourself that will inspire you to unleash your greatness.

Quote (Rebuy @ Jul 26 2017 04:12pm)
Just some simple advice:
Keep pushing/challenging yourself to go further and further, but be aware of your body. If you're experiencing pains *different from soreness*, give it a rest. For ex. other day my shin was starting to hurt when i was about to run 4-5miles and i stopped at 1 mile so not to injure myself cause nn shin splints. Resting the weekend and this monday i got right back to it without a problem.
Once you get used to running the distance, either kick it up to further distance, or slowly improve your speed.
At 5 miles in 60mins, that's a good distance for now. So as not to draw out the workout you should probably just start pushing yourself a little bit speed wise to slowly improve.
A fun little thing i like to do is at the last mile i run once i hit about .5 miles to go i start kicking the treadmill speed up by ~3 or more speeds every .1 miles for the last half mile. (I often kick it up more often then that)
But this way i get in a distance run and then a very fast mile for me at the end.

That last part is just b/c i enjoy it but running outside is probably more fun than running on a treadmill so it's definitely harder to do out there.

Thank you very very much for these 2 replies!!!!

My diet is typically pretty on point, one thing i wonder is how to schedule my eating times around my running, like if i know i'm going to run in 3 hours, should i be snacking on something maybe an hour before my run? or would i be better off being having less food in my stomach. i typically have a very wide variety of foods on hand, and glutamine is actually something i take daily already. i kinda feel with this it may just vary too greatly from person to person and trial and error might be my best bet.

Yoga has been something i've already been doing for months and i love it, and a pair of running shoes are next on my list of things i want to buy, at this point i'm just trying to figure out what a good price point is on a pair (not to cheap, not too expensive)

a 5k in under 25 minutes i think will be my next goal, i've ran 2 5k's tracked by my fitbit (outside around neighborhoods) and the first was around 30 minutes, and the second around 28, the first was harder than the second. The progression and the difficulty of this has been making this really seem worth-wile for me.

I think some tempo running would really do me good at this point so i can really get a feel for my pacing, glad you pointed that out. Time and discipline i feel is something i can cope with, i've been into various physical activities since i was about 7 (27 now) and i've been consistently hitting the gym for nearly 14 years now. I feel like i'm late to the party when it comes to running, and now that i finally committed to it, i don't think i'll be able to go back.

i'll be sure to check out those videos you linked.

Quote (Rebuy @ Jul 26 2017 04:12pm)
Just some simple advice:

Would you suggest any walking or maybe a stair master or bike in between running? I feel like i'm starting to notice this the more i get into it, i tend to make better times earlier in the week and as the week goes on i tend to do more distance at a slower pace.
Gold: 21.80
Jul 27 2017 12:51pm
Quote (Pete1028 @ Jul 27 2017 05:40pm)

My diet is typically pretty on point, one thing i wonder is how to schedule my eating times around my running, like if i know i'm going to run in 3 hours, should i be snacking on something maybe an hour before my run? or would i be better off being having less food in my stomach. i typically have a very wide variety of foods on hand, and glutamine is actually something i take daily already. i kinda feel with this it may just vary too greatly from person to person and trial and error might be my best bet.

Yoga has been something i've already been doing for months and i love it, and a pair of running shoes are next on my list of things i want to buy, at this point i'm just trying to figure out what a good price point is on a pair (not to cheap, not too expensive)

a 5k in under 25 minutes i think will be my next goal, i've ran 2 5k's tracked by my fitbit (outside around neighborhoods) and the first was around 30 minutes, and the second around 28, the first was harder than the second. The progression and the difficulty of this has been making this really seem worth-wile for me.

I think some tempo running would really do me good at this point so i can really get a feel for my pacing, glad you pointed that out. Time and discipline i feel is something i can cope with, i've been into various physical activities since i was about 7 (27 now) and i've been consistently hitting the gym for nearly 14 years now. I feel like i'm late to the party when it comes to running, and now that i finally committed to it, i don't think i'll be able to go back.

Would you suggest any walking or maybe a stair master or bike in between running? I feel like i'm starting to notice this the more i get into it, i tend to make better times earlier in the week and as the week goes on i tend to do more distance at a slower pace.

As far as pre run diet is concerned it depends on what your run will be. A lot of morning runners will run on an empty or light stomach if they are going for a 5-10k run. An example of a light meal would be simply a slice of toasted bread with jelly on it. Obviously you don't want a giant meal sloshing around in your stomach during your run, that just takes the fun right out of it.

As shoes are concerned they are very important to prevent injuries. When selecting your shoes make sure your feet are comfortable with enough space in the toe box so that you can flex your toes. I highly recommend going to a running store and asking to be fitted for shoes, the folks there will measure your feet and watch how you walk/run and help you make a selection that will fit your needs. You can save a LOT of money by buying the second latest model of running shoe. You will find that all these running shoe companies come out with a new model for their shoe every year or so and charge up the ass for the "latest and greatest." For example you can find Mizuno Wave Rider 19's for $60 or so shopping online but they want $120 for the "new and improved" Wave Rider 20. As soon as the 21 comes out next year with its minor "improvements" the 20 will drop drastically in price and the 21 will be way overpriced. With that said one of my favorite shoes has been the Mizuno Wave Rider 19- Fits like a glove and has lots of cushioning. I also have a pair of Saucony Ride 9's-not the latest model either but saved tons of $$$ and they fit snug as a bug in a rug as well. If you have normal feet and are a neutral runner (i'll let you look up this term) these would be a great starting pair for you.

"Trial and error" is going to occur for you not only with your nutrition but also with many other aspects of your training. It will be important to listen to your body as Rebuy stated. You will have to be careful with "Pains different from soreness" and when you feel these pains give it a rest. Running is a very highly impacting sport where the self injury rates are through the roof. My advice to you on this matter is don't be afraid to cross train. If you have access to a gym or a bicycle you can get a great aerobic workout by pushing yourself on elliptical machines or bicycles or "insert a cardio machine here." Cross training will improve your running quite a bit as these aforementioned workouts cause no impact and the injury rates are thus near zero. I myself am on a machine bike pushing my heart rate to the 140 range as I'm typing this and have gotten a lot faster with my running by doing machine bike/elliptical workouts a few times a week to compliment my running goals. Don't get injured m8 it sucks.

A 25 minute 5k is a great starting goal and if you train and nourish yourself properly you will get there soon enough. The other important aspect runners need is sleep. Running beats your body up so you will need 7-10 hours of good healthy sleep each night in order to repair those damages.

Gold: 0.44
Jul 27 2017 08:14pm
Quote (Pete1028 @ Jul 27 2017 12:40pm)

So eating wise for runners you want to have carbs like pasta or something the night before and protein after you run.
Carbs the night before is most important afaik since it's where you get your energy.
For right before you run, obviously you don't want to eat a huge meal immediately before or you may throw up, but feel free to have a light meal or power bar or something of the sort just to hold you over. I don't think this will make a huge deal on your performance, but its just personal preference. If it's 3 hours before running i wouldn't hesitate to have a full blown meal since it gives plenty of time to digest.
As far as running shoes go, I used to run cross country so i typically just bought some "expensive" shoes which were like $100-150 or so depending b/c they fit your foot and it was some overpriced running store. It's not a huge difference and you can run in any sneaker you want, as long as it's athletic and not basketball sneakers or regular shoes such as vans or something. i just happen to really like my running shoes and my last pair lasted me a long time so i recently bought a new expensive pair since i thought i'd get a good use out of it. If you're new to running it's not a huge deal, but it is an option. They even "Screen your foot" or something like that and sell you soles to put into your shoes if your feet are uneven or something like that.

Another thing to do for increased speed would be interval training, which is shorter distances and faster speeds. Do a bunch of "sets" of these. For example, 6 400meter sprints, and stuff like that. Things like that you can add it every so often if you're focused on improving speed, or you can just increase the speed over time since on a treadmill it's easy to measure your performance and push yourself to higher speeds. It is a lot easier to run faster on a treadmill than a track, but comparing treadmill to treadmill runs the performance is easily tracked.
Gold: 69.19
Jul 28 2017 10:18am
Quote (FLegend @ Jul 27 2017 01:51pm)
As far as pre run diet is concerned it depends on what your run will be. A lot of morning runners will run on an empty or light stomach if they are going for a 5-10k run. An example of a light meal would be simply a slice of toasted bread with jelly on it. Obviously you don't want a giant meal sloshing around in your stomach during your run, that just takes the fun right out of it.

As shoes are concerned they are very important to prevent injuries. When selecting your shoes make sure your feet are comfortable with enough space in the toe box so that you can flex your toes. I highly recommend going to a running store and asking to be fitted for shoes, the folks there will measure your feet and watch how you walk/run and help you make a selection that will fit your needs. You can save a LOT of money by buying the second latest model of running shoe. You will find that all these running shoe companies come out with a new model for their shoe every year or so and charge up the ass for the "latest and greatest." For example you can find Mizuno Wave Rider 19's for $60 or so shopping online but they want $120 for the "new and improved" Wave Rider 20. As soon as the 21 comes out next year with its minor "improvements" the 20 will drop drastically in price and the 21 will be way overpriced. With that said one of my favorite shoes has been the Mizuno Wave Rider 19- Fits like a glove and has lots of cushioning. I also have a pair of Saucony Ride 9's-not the latest model either but saved tons of $$$ and they fit snug as a bug in a rug as well. If you have normal feet and are a neutral runner (i'll let you look up this term) these would be a great starting pair for you.

"Trial and error" is going to occur for you not only with your nutrition but also with many other aspects of your training. It will be important to listen to your body as Rebuy stated. You will have to be careful with "Pains different from soreness" and when you feel these pains give it a rest. Running is a very highly impacting sport where the self injury rates are through the roof. My advice to you on this matter is don't be afraid to cross train. If you have access to a gym or a bicycle you can get a great aerobic workout by pushing yourself on elliptical machines or bicycles or "insert a cardio machine here." Cross training will improve your running quite a bit as these aforementioned workouts cause no impact and the injury rates are thus near zero. I myself am on a machine bike pushing my heart rate to the 140 range as I'm typing this and have gotten a lot faster with my running by doing machine bike/elliptical workouts a few times a week to compliment my running goals. Don't get injured m8 it sucks.

A 25 minute 5k is a great starting goal and if you train and nourish yourself properly you will get there soon enough. The other important aspect runners need is sleep. Running beats your body up so you will need 7-10 hours of good healthy sleep each night in order to repair those damages.

I eat 2 cups of oatmeal with about 64 grams of peanut butter, a banana, and a scoop of protein every morning :rofl: so i guess i'd have to really wait or chill out with that for any morning running.

I'll have to go check out a shoe store, a good friend of mine is pretty into running and he was telling me about one around here that does measurements like that. I've never even heard of Mizuno until today haha so i'll certainly be keeping an eye out for a shoe that works for me. Pretty sure my feet are fucked up and no where near neutral but i guess i won't really know that until i go get checked.

After you said that, somewhere in my head i'm pretty determined to run a 25 minute 5k, so far i've ran 2 5k's outside the first being 30 minutes, the second being around 28. I think i'll be able to reach that not so much easily, but i feel in a few weeks or maybe a month or 2.

How do you feel about Pre-Workout supplements?? right now i have a few options lying around, Cardio rush by Royal Sports, and Methyl Ephex by UGF (which has ephedra :P ) C4, hyde, and black coffee. Are these benefitial to running 5-10k's or any sort of distance?

oh also, there's a highschool pretttty close to me with a 400m track (its got that rubbery track feel its kinda nice). Would it benefit me to run on this track from time to time over sidewalk or dirt paths at parks?

Quote (Rebuy @ Jul 27 2017 09:14pm)
So eating wise for runners you want to have carbs like pasta or something the night before and protein after you run.
Carbs the night before is most important afaik since it's where you get your energy.
For right before you run, obviously you don't want to eat a huge meal immediately before or you may throw up, but feel free to have a light meal or power bar or something of the sort just to hold you over. I don't think this will make a huge deal on your performance, but its just personal preference. If it's 3 hours before running i wouldn't hesitate to have a full blown meal since it gives plenty of time to digest.
As far as running shoes go, I used to run cross country so i typically just bought some "expensive" shoes which were like $100-150 or so depending b/c they fit your foot and it was some overpriced running store. It's not a huge difference and you can run in any sneaker you want, as long as it's athletic and not basketball sneakers or regular shoes such as vans or something. i just happen to really like my running shoes and my last pair lasted me a long time so i recently bought a new expensive pair since i thought i'd get a good use out of it. If you're new to running it's not a huge deal, but it is an option. They even "Screen your foot" or something like that and sell you soles to put into your shoes if your feet are uneven or something like that.

Another thing to do for increased speed would be interval training, which is shorter distances and faster speeds. Do a bunch of "sets" of these. For example, 6 400meter sprints, and stuff like that. Things like that you can add it every so often if you're focused on improving speed, or you can just increase the speed over time since on a treadmill it's easy to measure your performance and push yourself to higher speeds. It is a lot easier to run faster on a treadmill than a track, but comparing treadmill to treadmill runs the performance is easily tracked.

I think my current diet fits this profile fairly well, i have all sorts of good sources of carbs, fats, and protein laying around.

The shoes thing is something that will probably happen pretty soon for me, i could use a good pair, I have a fitbit that makes it pretty easy to track my pace which i'm loving.
Gold: 0.00
Aug 7 2017 05:02am
Quote (Pete1028 @ Jul 28 2017 12:18pm)
I eat 2 cups of oatmeal with about 64 grams of peanut butter, a banana, and a scoop of protein every morning :rofl: so i guess i'd have to really wait or chill out with that for any morning running.

I'll have to go check out a shoe store, a good friend of mine is pretty into running and he was telling me about one around here that does measurements like that. I've never even heard of Mizuno until today haha so i'll certainly be keeping an eye out for a shoe that works for me. Pretty sure my feet are fucked up and no where near neutral but i guess i won't really know that until i go get checked.

After you said that, somewhere in my head i'm pretty determined to run a 25 minute 5k, so far i've ran 2 5k's outside the first being 30 minutes, the second being around 28. I think i'll be able to reach that not so much easily, but i feel in a few weeks or maybe a month or 2.

How do you feel about Pre-Workout supplements?? right now i have a few options lying around, Cardio rush by Royal Sports, and Methyl Ephex by UGF (which has ephedra :P ) C4, hyde, and black coffee. Are these benefitial to running 5-10k's or any sort of distance?

oh also, there's a highschool pretttty close to me with a 400m track (its got that rubbery track feel its kinda nice). Would it benefit me to run on this track from time to time over sidewalk or dirt paths at parks?

I think my current diet fits this profile fairly well, i have all sorts of good sources of carbs, fats, and protein laying around.

The shoes thing is something that will probably happen pretty soon for me, i could use a good pair, I have a fitbit that makes it pretty easy to track my pace which i'm loving.

Fuck no. Don't drink pre workout or any of that prior to running. That's asking for your heart to explode.

As someone else said - buy running shoes. I am loyal to aesics personally. They make very good running shoes in my opinion. Whatever you do... don't do the Nike frees style of shoes because the support is terrible and I've seen too many athletes get foot and knee injuries wearing these.

Make sure you listen to your body. Take rest when you feel exhausted. You don't want to burn out.

A strong core is crucial in both sprinting and distance running. Don't forget this.

Make sure you change it up. Don't go on long distance runs every time you go out there. Having a local track is huge. Allows you to do stuff like 400 intervals for a day. A track makes timing your workouts with distance very easy. So you can mix up sprint workouts with long distance workouts and it will keep things new and your numbers will benefit.

Edit: having a fit bit is nice. A great way to make sure you're making progress. I usually only used garmin watch when I do track work like the 400s to hold myself more accountable and then distance races.

Usually on my distance runs I don't like going off of my watch. I like to go at my body's pace. That's just my preference though. If your times get slower and slower as the week goes on that tells me you probably should throw a recovery day in the middle. A slow light jog day might do the trick or taking off altogether.

Oh and work on your form. If you can extend your stride, do it. A lot of newer runners tend to have smaller strides

This post was edited by TUAlumni on Aug 7 2017 05:12am
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll