d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Buying An Hdd For My Desktop
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 38,115.35
Jul 25 2017 05:13am
I'm looking to upgrade the storage on my desktop.

I've only got a 64GB SDD for my OS and a 1TB HDD.

I'm thinking to get another HDD of 3-6TB, but unsure which of these would be a better buy:

https://www.komplett.no/product/898972/datautstyr/lagring/harddiskerssd/harddisk-35/seagate-barracuda-4tb-35-hdd
https://www.komplett.no/product/898973/datautstyr/lagring/harddiskerssd/harddisk-35/seagate-barracuda-pro-6tb-35-hdd

The barracuda pro has 256MB cache instead of 64MB cache on the cheaper one, but twice as expensive.

Is cache important, and what does it do?
Which one of these would you recommend? (6TB over 4TB seems nice for storage though)
Also, I'm not sure if when ordering an HDD the site will provide the nescessary cables. What cables (or other stuff) would I need to order in addition?

Money isn't a big issue, but I don't want to overpay needlessly for something that isn't useful.
Gold: 92.71
Warn: 50%
Jul 25 2017 05:47am
64 Mb is fine
Gold: 38,115.35
Jul 25 2017 11:24am
Quote (Ghot @ 25 Jul 2017 15:35)

why do you recommend a new SSD disk? My C: disk seems to always be getting full but so does my laptop SSD disk which is twice the size. Haven't been an issue so far though. My desktop is about 7 years old if that helps.

Why do you recommend that HDD? it's twice the price of the 4TB HDD I posted, and I don't know what seperates them (except RPM, cahce etc, but I dunno what that does)
Gold: 10,655.00
Jul 25 2017 11:36am
Quote (Dragon_Reborn @ Jul 25 2017 12:24pm)
why do you recommend a new SSD disk? My C: disk seems to always be getting full but so does my laptop SSD disk which is twice the size. Haven't been an issue so far though. My desktop is about 7 years old if that helps.

Why do you recommend that HDD? it's twice the price of the 4TB HDD I posted, and I don't know what seperates them (except RPM, cahce etc, but I dunno what that does)

Western Digital makes the best hard drives, and Samsung makes the best SSDs.

As for why the SSD...well, 250GB is about the standard for a C: drive these days...and they are really fast. 64GB SSD will work, but it's a trade off, you have to put a lot of things on the storage drive, that would probably do far better on an SSD.

As for the HDD, get a Western Digital Black, they are fast and really strudy. They also have great customer service and long ass warranties.

/e In most cases, you get what you pay for. Also, both of these drives will still be able to be used in a new build if you ever go that way. They will last.....that long.

This post was edited by Ghot on Jul 25 2017 11:38am
Gold: Locked
Warn: 60%
Jul 25 2017 12:52pm
Quote (Ghot @ Jul 25 2017 01:36pm)
Western Digital makes the best hard drives, and Samsung makes the best SSDs.

As for why the SSD...well, 250GB is about the standard for a C: drive these days...and they are really fast. 64GB SSD will work, but it's a trade off, you have to put a lot of things on the storage drive, that would probably do far better on an SSD.

As for the HDD, get a Western Digital Black, they are fast and really strudy. They also have great customer service and long ass warranties.

/e In most cases, you get what you pay for. Also, both of these drives will still be able to be used in a new build if you ever go that way. They will last.....that long.

he seems to have no desire to get a bigger ssd though.. i think we should consider what people want and their use cases rather than design their pc to our specifications, can't just assume whatever he's using his storage for will benefit from a larger SSD. He wants the most gbs he can get for the $$$ so he needs to go with spinning rust.

Quote (Dragon_Reborn @ Jul 25 2017 01:24pm)

My seagate barracuda drive has 55,000 PoH and is still going strong with no SMART warnings. I used it as a system drive for 2 years and as a secondary storage drive for the last 4 or so, meaning for most of its life it hasn't been put under that much physical stress. The wd black would hold up better if you're constantly putting it under load or even having it spin 24/7. It would also be slightly faster.

Cache is not important.

This post was edited by DCSS on Jul 25 2017 01:21pm
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll