d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > The Case For Depraved Indifference > Teens Record Man Drowning
Prev11011121314Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 152.00
Gold: 7,525.35
Gold: 285.00
Jul 25 2017 06:01pm
Quote (BardOfXiix @ Jul 25 2017 03:41pm)

Psychology was pretty dark for awhile there. Still pretty dark I guess. Asylums are a lot nicer now though :)

That Watson/Skinner stuff is....anti-human IMO. I peer interviewed a therapist for a LICDC position on my team and when I asked him about his theoretical approach he strangely said Behaviorism. It is such an authoritarian persuasion. Its kind of old and I just can't agree with the sentiment that thoughts don't matter. I use the cognitive-behavioral model which is 1: there is a thought, 2: that thought leads to a feeling, 3: that feeling leads to a behavior; Therefore, we can affect behaviors by clearing up cognitive distortions in thinking and feeling. Psychoanalysis is #1 but requires quite a lot of commitment on the part of both people, more commitment than insurance companies believe is necessary (thank god too much therapy fries people), so only rich doctors and clients do it.

My approach is different than many of the other therapist I've worked with, which is good, because you don't want a bunch of the same people doing all the same things you're just repeating work. Using social work theories in practice is great because you get to actually improve peoples' lives in addition to helping them deal with the shitty life that they have. I can do the psychotherapy stuff, CBT, DBT, , and I can also write a grant, act as an expert witness, know how to get things like health insurance and cheap health care, do case management at a very high quality level, take your fucking kids if you beat on them and find them new parents, find the shelters and other places to go when the weather is shit and you're homeless...

Also MSW is a terminal degree...you only need a DSW to do research at a uni and teach there. The highest license is available to the MSW after two years of practice and 200 hours of supervision by a LISW-S. If you want to do the same thing, with a psychology degree, you need a PhD. Clinical psychologists are basically overpaid social workers, and there are a lot less of those jobs available. That being said, my boss is a clinical psychologist and he is young and brilliant and a great boss :)

I find myself asking what is next in terms of advancement. I like working within health care and there is plenty of space to climb up in a city with a handful of major hospital networks competing with each other...you just have to always be willing to walk away from where you are and you will advance. Go to a place, put in a couple years of great work, go above and beyond, push the limits of the position, and after a couple years you will be able to say you've done that to the next place you're trying to move into, at a higher level. You have to be shrewd. There is no staying in one place and working upward...there is nowhere to go most of the time.

I hope I am not just pontificating. I am proselytizing though.
Gold: Locked
Warn: 60%
Jul 25 2017 06:50pm
define help
obviously 911 wouldn't have been fast enough
going out there to try to save the drowning person was a non-solution.. A drowning person is very dangerous.

This was natural selection, nothing more. It's an easily avoidable death that wouldn't even happen to the dumbest members of most species.

This post was edited by DCSS on Jul 25 2017 06:56pm
Gold: 0.00
Jul 25 2017 07:06pm
Quote (DCSS @ Jul 26 2017 12:50am)
define help
obviously 911 wouldn't have been fast enough
going out there to try to save the drowning person was a non-solution.. A drowning person is very dangerous.

This was natural selection, nothing more. It's an easily avoidable death that wouldn't even happen to the dumbest members of most species.

I think it's more about the humanitarian essence of not being indifferent to human life that is at the center of requiring people to at least contact help, rather than it being just about whether said help would've arrived in time. Even then, at the very least, if help wouldn't have arrived in time, Dunn's family would have known of his whereabouts instead of filing a missing person's report only to have his body found and recovered several days after dying.
Jul 25 2017 07:08pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jul 25 2017 09:06pm)
I think it's more about the humanitarian essence of not being indifferent to human life that is at the center of requiring people to at least contact help, rather than it being just about whether said help would've arrived in time. Even then, at the very least, if help wouldn't have arrived in time, Dunn's family would have known of his whereabouts instead of filing a missing person's report only to have his body found and recovered several days after dying.

it's the bystander effect in action.
requiring anything out of anyone is stupid, people are going to be persecuted because of following an instinctual reaction. You may as well blame people who end up running people over by accident due to target fixation with murder. Or likewise, those who stop like deer in the headlights when they see an oncoming vehicle with criminal negligence & make them pay to fix the windshield or whatever else was broken.. Where do we stop?

This whole thread is nothing more than an appeal to emotions.

This post was edited by DCSS on Jul 25 2017 07:11pm
Jul 25 2017 07:17pm
Quote (DCSS @ Jul 26 2017 01:08am)
it's the bystander effect in action.
requiring anything out of anyone is stupid, people are going to be persecuted because of following an instinctual reaction. You may as well blame people who end up running people over by accident due to target fixation with murder. Or likewise, those who stop like deer in the headlights when they see an oncoming vehicle with criminal negligence & make them pay to fix the windshield or whatever else was broken.. Where do we stop?

This whole thread is nothing more than an appeal to emotions.

Bystander apathy is a very real phenomenon, and laws requiring people either to provide aid or to contact aid are, on some level, attempting to lessen the effects of bystander apathy.

On a personal note, one of the points of argument that I vehemently disagree with the most are points that are merely reiterations of "snowball effects". I understand that they may be valid, and that many people place a lot of emphasis on them, but I find them to be a complete distraction. For that reason, I don't have much to say about people running over others, or those freezing like a deer in headlights. The issue at hand is purely that of whether or not people should have a legal obligation to provide aid or contact aid when coming across another person who is in need of help or life-saving services. That is where we stop.

This post was edited by Handcuffs on Jul 25 2017 07:17pm
Jul 25 2017 07:29pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jul 25 2017 09:17pm)
Bystander apathy is a very real phenomenon, and laws requiring people either to provide aid or to contact aid are, on some level, attempting to lessen the effects of bystander apathy.

On a personal note, one of the points of argument that I vehemently disagree with the most are points that are merely reiterations of "snowball effects". I understand that they may be valid, and that many people place a lot of emphasis on them, but I find them to be a complete distraction. For that reason, I don't have much to say about people running over others, or those freezing like a deer in headlights. The issue at hand is purely that of whether or not people should have a legal obligation to provide aid or contact aid when coming across another person who is in need of help or life-saving services. That is where we stop.

Even seeing someone else dying is enough to shock people into inaction. What do you about people that occurs to? Throw them in jail? Laughing is a common coping mechanism, and that's how I saw it used in this video.
Jul 25 2017 07:33pm
Quote (DCSS @ Jul 26 2017 01:29am)
Even seeing someone else dying is enough to shock people into inaction. What do you about people that occurs to? Throw them in jail? Laughing is a common coping mechanism, and that's how I saw it used in this video.

No, I wouldn't agree with jail time for this. I agree with someone else earlier in this thread that something more akin to community service would be more appropriate.
Jul 25 2017 07:40pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jul 25 2017 09:33pm)
No, I wouldn't agree with jail time for this. I agree with someone else earlier in this thread that something more akin to community service would be more appropriate.

Well it is good neither you nor them are deciding our laws.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev11011121314Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll