d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > If You Could Pick A Sermon Topic
Prev1678
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 745.69
Jul 24 2017 03:40pm
Quote (Knaapie @ Jul 24 2017 05:37pm)
To make that a commandment would revolutionize society as it was. It was so commonly practiced post hunter gatherer societies that a world without them would have been unthinkable at the time. Slaves back then were mostly: peasants living on the land of the lord, debt-slavery, punishment for crime, the enslavement of prisoners of war, child abandonment, and the birth of slave children to slaves. There have been situations where ppl sold themselves into slavery, in order to gain protection. The word wasn't as foul then, as it is today.

In a way we are still slaves of the system, most will acknowledge that, yet we needed a revolutions to become more free.

I might be interested in a sermon that would elaborate on the historical discourse in relation to slavery and writings about them, to dig a bit deeper than my poor historical knowledge ^^

Oh I understand that there would obviously be logistical problems with it, but if God knew and said that slavery was wrong, why should he give a fuck about those things? His moral law should trump petty societal rules.
Gold: 1,002.00
Warn: 10%
Jul 24 2017 03:53pm
Quote (Magicman657 @ 24 Jul 2017 22:40)
Oh I understand that there would obviously be logistical problems with it, but if God knew and said that slavery was wrong, why should he give a fuck about those things? His moral law should trump petty societal rules.

Perhaps it was in the first commandments Mozes dropped by accident ? ^^ I dunno men. There are only 10. And I have no idea what the bible actually sais about slavery..
I can only say I'm also interested in what it has to say about individualism, Saucisson6000's suggestion. And ofc how the discourse we have today differ from ppl at the time.
Gold: 260.11
Jul 24 2017 05:00pm
Quote (Knaapie @ Jul 24 2017 03:37pm)
To make that a commandment would revolutionize society as it was. It was so commonly practiced post hunter gatherer societies that a world without them would have been unthinkable at the time. Slaves back then were mostly: peasants living on the land of the lord, debt-slavery, punishment for crime, the enslavement of prisoners of war, child abandonment, and the birth of slave children to slaves. There have been situations where ppl sold themselves into slavery, in order to gain protection. The word wasn't as foul then, as it is today.

In a way we are still slaves of the system, most will acknowledge that, yet we needed multiple revolutions to become more free.

I might be interested in a sermon that would elaborate on the historical discourse in relation to slavery and writings about them, to dig a bit deeper than my poor historical knowledge ^^

God can harden and soften hearts and effect free will.

The argument that the people wouldn't go along with it is pretty silly considering we're talking about God who is unrestrained by pragmatic concerns.
Gold: 285.00
Jul 24 2017 05:26pm
Quote (BardOfXiix @ Jul 24 2017 02:45pm)
Really not interested in the fiscal teachings within the Bible, or pushing our collectivist vs libertarian argument into this thread. Let's keep this more religiously focused.

Which is why I chose self-care and had a good laugh at the 'Jesus is a secret libertarian' thesis.
Gold: 10.77
Jul 24 2017 05:40pm
Quote (BardOfXiix @ Jul 24 2017 12:45pm)
Really not interested in the fiscal teachings within the Bible, or pushing our collectivist vs libertarian argument into this thread. Let's keep this more religiously focused.

It is, though. The church is supposed to be a communalist society based on the teachings found in Acts. Satan has perverted Christianity by tempting people into a stumbling path of capitalism. All of the teachings of Jesus have been unraveled by secular economics and the Objectivist cult of self promoted by so-called Christians like Paul Ryan. It is the defining separation between modern fauxtianity and the message of love and care for the least brought to us by Christ.

This post was edited by inkanddagger on Jul 24 2017 05:47pm
Gold: 285.00
Jul 24 2017 05:55pm
Quote (inkanddagger @ Jul 24 2017 06:40pm)
It is, though. The church is supposed to be a communalist society based on the teachings found in Acts. Satan has perverted Christianity by tempting people into a stumbling path of capitalism. All of the teachings of Jesus have been unraveled by secular economics and the Objectivist cult of self promoted by so-called Christians like Paul Ryan. It is the defining separation between modern fauxtianity and the message of love and care for the least brought to us by Christ.

The anti-Cam
Gold: Locked
Jul 25 2017 01:24pm
Quote (Magicman657 @ Jul 24 2017 02:12pm)
Yeah, and I specifically ignored that, because I'm not interested in a 2-3 hour fantasy circle jerk - I can do that on my own time. I'm not interested in listening to people purposefully affirm what I already believe for their own religious / political reasons; I want to know that my beliefs can survive being challenged by the rigors of honest discussion. I'm not even choosing this topic to be an asshole; if I knew someone was going to legitimately discuss it and answer to it, that would actually get my ass into a church in a heart beat.

I'm sorry that you're such an angry, immature individual that you can't even attempt to understand another culture and their beliefs. Doubly so, since the topic of slavery in the Bible is pretty widely discussed and you can find a series of good defenses and explanations out there on the internet.

Quote (BrendanSchaub @ Jul 24 2017 02:12pm)
Dunno if this could be a sermon, but I'd like to figure out if Jesus' miracles are really that necessary to convince people of the right of his teachings.

Do handing out endless fish, tapdancing on water or giving free wine sway people in to following his teachings or are they really just unnecessary fluff?

edit: and if they are important, why?

They are important because they are evidence for his divinity.

Quote (Skinned @ Jul 24 2017 04:26pm)
Which is why I chose self-care and had a good laugh at the 'Jesus is a secret libertarian' thesis.

Self-care is a valid topic, but not one I'm particularly interested in exploring from a Biblical sense.

Quote (Skinned @ Jul 24 2017 04:55pm)
The anti-Cam

Communists vs Camunists.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1678
Add Reply New Topic New Poll