d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > If You Could Pick A Sermon Topic
Prev123458Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 7,525.35
Jul 23 2017 08:44am
Quote (Skinned @ Jul 23 2017 10:40am)
It isn't misunderstand and misrepresent, it is genuine disagreement of interpretation. It isn't that they 'just don't understand'. Kind of an ad hom there. A lot of people view government as a collective endeavor, voluntary because there are no serfs, and a way to express charity and collectively promote the general welfare.

Even Jesus acknowledges secular authority and Christianity started as liberation theology.

No, its just wrong. Viewing government as voluntary is also just wrong.
Having a different opinion does not make it valid. This isnt the SJW fanfic section. Right and wrong exist.
Gold: 752.10
Jul 23 2017 08:45am
I would ask for a sermon on environmental stewardship. I've heard religious people throughout the entire spectrum. It would be interesting to hear what he has to say if he is any good.
Gold: 2,617.52
Jul 23 2017 08:48am
Quote (BardOfXiix @ Jul 22 2017 08:11pm)
I've recently made a new friend whose father is a pastor. He happens to preach at a church fairly close to where I live, so I told her "let me know when he's doing a good sermon and I'll show up." My intent was for her to tell me when he was preaching on a subject that he himself was fairly passionate about, but it seems as though the shoe is now on the other foot.

He's told me to pick a topic and he'll do a sermon on it.

My question to you all is multi-fold:

What topic would YOU request? Why?
What topic would you like to learn more about/what confuses you about the Bible?
What are some more obscure/lesser-known facets of Biblical study that you find interesting that the average Christian might not know about?

I'm not looking to try some form of one-upmanship, but I am looking to take this unique opportunity to learn about something more advanced than the average sermon might provide.

Posted this in the Christian Fellowship, but I also want to post it here because I know I'll get a very different quality of response, as well as a different point of view. Believers and non-believers both welcome to contribute, but I'm not interested in edgy atheist posts.

Any of the Ten Commandments are always fun.

There's a bunch of info buried beneath the surface of those 10 sentences.
Gold: 10.77
Jul 23 2017 08:49am
Acts 4:32-35
Acts 11:29
Matthew 6:24

They all teach us how we should think about economics and wealth distribution within the Christian community.

Gold: 10,655.00
Jul 23 2017 09:02am

I tried my best to think of a suitable sermon topic.

But my mind can't get past the "messing around with a preacher's daughter" thing.

Scenario...

OP has the hots for the preacher's daughter.
OP decides to ingratiate himself with said preacher by asking about sermons.
Preacher says, tell me what you think a good sermon would be...

Now OP is caught between a rock and a hard spot, and comes to PaRD for help.
Gold: 260.11
Jul 23 2017 09:04am
Quote (cambovenzi @ Jul 23 2017 08:10am)
you are going to need new pants after stretching that far

its an important clarification of christian teachings that many people misunderstand and misrepresent.

I need no such thing. Jesus clearly stated that you should pay taxes, we all know the government was doing non christian things when jesus said it.
Gold: 285.00
Jul 23 2017 09:12am
Quote (cambovenzi @ Jul 23 2017 09:44am)
Having a different opinion does not make it valid. This isnt the SJW fanfic section. Right and wrong exist.

no u
Jul 23 2017 09:28am
Quote (cambovenzi @ Jul 23 2017 08:44am)

Well, you have a right to leave, a right to participate in decisions, right to association, free speech, there's really no route to not consider the United States a legitimate Democracy.

Of course there's examples that are "democracies" which obviously aren't voluntary, such as North Korea, but we're pretty far from that side of the spectrum.
Gold: Locked
Jul 23 2017 11:28am
Quote (CoheedAndCambria @ Jul 23 2017 12:15am)
I would request a sermon on the importance of using an anthropological/sociological lens when reading the Bible, as opposed to reading the Bible as a face-value historical text.

When I studied, I used the New Oxford Annotated Bible and it put many things into a broader perspective.

Quote (Scaly @ Jul 23 2017 03:19am)
The importance of saints or lackthereof. Saints are a fun topic.

These seem like interesting topics. I get the feeling that a sermon on the saints would be on the lack thereof, from speaking to his daughter.

Quote (Thor123422 @ Jul 23 2017 05:29am)
I read a bible that would even delve into clever wordplay that is lost in the english version. Lots of puns and subtle jabs at other cultures.

If you remember the name of this Bible, let me know.

Quote (CoheedAndCambria @ Jul 23 2017 05:49am)
New Oxford Annotated does that, too. It seems Hebrew was ripe for puns, and a lot of that went into their portrayals of Satan and other religions of their time. All of that nuance gets lost to the every-day reader.

I'll flip through one of those and see what's what.

Quote (Ghot @ Jul 23 2017 08:02am)
I tried my best to think of a suitable sermon topic.

But my mind can't get past the "messing around with a preacher's daughter" thing.

Scenario...

OP has the hots for the preacher's daughter.
OP decides to ingratiate himself with said preacher by asking about sermons.
Preacher says, tell me what you think a good sermon would be...

Now OP is caught between a rock and a hard spot, and comes to PaRD for help.

Fun fact, you don't have to be sexually interested in every member of the opposite sex that comes your way. Not sure if anyone ever explained this to you, but you can just be friends with people.

Quote (SuperButt420 @ Jul 22 2017 05:18pm)
One thing I've had issue with with local churches is that they're always focusing on negatives.
Professing to be a religion of love but you can't find the time to give a sermon that doesn't involve hatred, death and damnation

Get something positive. If you want something really interesting, ask him to interpret ezekiel's vision of YHWH in the desert

This is a really curious passage, and I'd love to have more cultural and contextual information with regards to the specific vision.

My initial thought was dispensationalism, since Widow was a fan of that and I never got as deep into that philosophy as I'd have liked to. I'm not sure if they ARE dispensationalist so I've asked. The historical context thing has always been my favorite part of Biblical study because I think it grants some pretty intense depth to the book, but I don't know quite what passage to apply it to.

This post was edited by BardOfXiix on Jul 23 2017 11:32am
Jul 23 2017 11:51am
Quote (BardOfXiix @ Jul 23 2017 11:28am)
If you remember the name of this Bible, let me know.

"The Bible with Sources Revealed"

by Richard Elliot Friedman

Basically does his own translation of the pentateuch with each author's sections highlighted to the best of our current scholarship and makes comments on the original text.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123458Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll