d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Rip Rebels
Prev1456
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 9,106.00
Jul 22 2017 04:47pm
Quote (Skinned @ Jul 22 2017 03:39pm)
Islamofascism lol. Not a nice Judeofascism like Israel. Hyperbole much?

How is Assad not considered a fascist by you now?

Oh he is but he's still considered fascist-lite compared to the other side. I mean just take a look at the garb worn in Damascus vs some rebel held areas. That alone is pretty telling.
Gold: 8,933.00
Jul 22 2017 05:20pm
Quote (Saucisson6000 @ Jul 21 2017 06:17pm)
Trump surrenders to Putin on Syria
or
Trump Effectively Surrenders Syria to Assad and Russia

pick one

I'm perfectly fine with that.
Gold: 2,570.91
Jul 23 2017 08:48am
Good news imo, if it turns out to be true. The opposition consisted of many fishy "moderate" islamists, and they really didn't seem like a great alternative to Assad. Of course there are plenty of good minded people in the resistance that simply want to live in a democratic Syria were human rights are protected, but there seemd to be a lot of rotten apples in the bunch that could eventually take control of the government.

Also, the whole arming and training resistance movements in the Middle East has never really worked out well for the US... could really backfire like when the US trained the talibans.

That being said, Syria needs a democratic transition and Asad should step down at some point. I much prefer the US resort to diplomatic pressure on Syria and negotiations with Russia to help make this happen, over arming rebels.
Gold: 4,383.11
Jul 23 2017 02:35pm
Quote (zarkadon @ 23 Jul 2017 16:48)
Good news imo, if it turns out to be true. The opposition consisted of many fishy "moderate" islamists, and they really didn't seem like a great alternative to Assad. Of course there are plenty of good minded people in the resistance that simply want to live in a democratic Syria were human rights are protected, but there seemd to be a lot of rotten apples in the bunch that could eventually take control of the government.

Also, the whole arming and training resistance movements in the Middle East has never really worked out well for the US... could really backfire like when the US trained the talibans.

That being said, Syria needs a democratic transition and Asad should step down at some point. I much prefer the US resort to diplomatic pressure on Syria and negotiations with Russia to help make this happen, over arming rebels.

this "country" is centuries away from our democratic standards, a guy like assad (i do not approve of him, but he is the "best" we have right now) is the only way to keep such a bunch in check
except you divide syria in 3 separate territories, assad, kurds and the rest, while that rest means you practically have another caliphate
Gold: 253.00
Jul 23 2017 11:20pm
Fantastic news!

Syria was never our mess to meddle with, if Russia wants to then more power to them. We took our turn in Iraq and Afghanistan
Gold: 2,570.91
Jul 24 2017 09:05am
Quote (ampoo @ 23 Jul 2017 22:35)
this "country" is centuries away from our democratic standards, a guy like assad (i do not approve of him, but he is the "best" we have right now) is the only way to keep such a bunch in check
except you divide syria in 3 separate territories, assad, kurds and the rest, while that rest means you practically have another caliphate

I didn't say a transition to a western democracy. I don't think our standards would work there (at least not yet), but you can't have a tyrant that abuses human rights, doesn't care about separation of powers and allows widespread corruption either. If you look at Lebanon for example, you will find a healthy democracy, with a pretty strict rule and some censorship and conservative stuff we wouldn't approve of in our western societies, but that are acceptable (and even desirable) from an arab perspective. But over all the people there have rights, they can vote in free elections and chose a government that addresses their demands. Syria should aim for that imo... there needs to be a transition period that stabilizes the country, and then shift towards a model of state that is at least agreed by the vast majority of population there, so there can be a government that works for their interests and is ultimately kept in check by the people. At the end of the day, Syria should be what the Syrians want it to be.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Jul 24 2017 09:35am
Quote (zarkadon @ 24 Jul 2017 16:05)
I didn't say a transition to a western democracy. I don't think our standards would work there (at least not yet), but you can't have a tyrant that abuses human rights, doesn't care about separation of powers and allows widespread corruption either. If you look at Lebanon for example, you will find a healthy democracy, with a pretty strict rule and some censorship and conservative stuff we wouldn't approve of in our western societies, but that are acceptable (and even desirable) from an arab perspective. But over all the people there have rights, they can vote in free elections and chose a government that addresses their demands. Syria should aim for that imo... there needs to be a transition period that stabilizes the country, and then shift towards a model of state that is at least agreed by the vast majority of population there, so there can be a government that works for their interests and is ultimately kept in check by the people. At the end of the day, Syria should be what the Syrians want it to be.

'b-b-but it's no western standard democracy so you might as well have a russian controlled dictator who ruthlessly slaughters any opposition to keep that "bunch" in check.'
Gold: 4,383.11
Jul 24 2017 09:44am
Quote (fender @ 24 Jul 2017 17:35)
'b-b-but it's no western standard democracy so you might as well have a russian controlled dictator who ruthlessly slaughters any opposition to keep that "bunch" in check.'

ok

Quote (fender @ 22 Jul 2017 08:02)
rip rebels, rip assad's opposition, rip syrian moderates and democrats, rip civilians and children, rip america's reputation, rip trump's balls...
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1456
Add Reply New Topic New Poll