d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Worth It To Go From W7 To W10?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 90.58
Jul 21 2017 01:56am
Just curious as I have my old ISO and key from college. However... I'm so fucking happy on my W7 64-bit Pro already. Is there actually any real world, noticeable performance and/or use-ability improvements?

I'm currently on a i7 2600k / do light game development stuff in the Godot Engine

I've had no problems with 7, except for some reason after 2-3 hours my fps drops to like 20 out of no where. Then I just have to log off, and re-login back in and it fixes it. Not sure where that problem is but it's annoying af.

Doesn't happen when I game though, only just regular computer usage. And i'm on a stock/newly installed W7 too. I have heard it's your PSU dying, but I don't think it's that since I can just log off/log back in and my FPS is fine. But yeah

Gold: 450.51
Jul 21 2017 04:10am
I upgraded and noticed many improvements, cpu-usage wise and performance-wise. Faster loading, faster interface.

Only thing I would recommend is looking up app compatibility of your "Godot Engine" for instance with W10.
Gold: 1,961,470.00
Jul 21 2017 04:12am
Nah no reason to upgrade if you already have win7 installed an you are satisfied with it.
Sounds more like a software issue. Have you checked RAM usage when this happens? Sounds like a RAM leak.
Jul 21 2017 04:20am
Quote (GodisLove @ Jul 21 2017 02:10am)
I upgraded and noticed many improvements, cpu-usage wise and performance-wise. Faster loading, faster interface.

Only thing I would recommend is looking up app compatibility of your "Godot Engine" for instance with W10.

ty for insight!

Quote (ZwiX @ Jul 21 2017 02:12am)
Nah no reason to upgrade if you already have win7 installed an you are satisfied with it.
Sounds more like a software issue. Have you checked RAM usage when this happens? Sounds like a RAM leak.

yep.. it's always around / under 2gb. Happens out of no where just browsing / using the computer. I bought a new gfx card last year (480) to upgrade from a 7850, new processor, changed my ram, bought a new monitor... a 144hz this time and it still fucking happens.

it does seem like it happens whenever i extensively start watching videos in chrome on youtube, or have chrome open for xxx duration.

but it's weird, fps drops to 20, screen tears all over the fucking place so i just log out and log back in and boom, back to 144+fps and my 144hz monitor is smooth as butter.

do you think it's my psu dying or something? It's a 550 OCZ fatality. had it for 5 years now btw.

but it's weird because now, it hasn't happened for almost an hour.... it usually happens within 30 minutes after i login in. although, i havn't been watching any yt videos and only have 2 tabs open.

might be a fucking chrome bug if u wanna know the truth. although, i updated her to the latest version..

i give up with dis shit

This post was edited by JohnMiller92 on Jul 21 2017 04:22am
Gold: Locked
Warn: 60%
Jul 21 2017 09:37am
Quote (GodisLove @ Jul 21 2017 06:10am)

a new installation will always be faster than an old one that you've allowed to get gunked up over the years. That's inevitable. I've compared the benchmarks and performance of my clean optimized w7 system to enough people with w10 to determine that w10 would not be an improvement for me..

Quote (JohnMiller92 @ Jul 21 2017 06:20am)
do you think it's my psu dying or something? It's a 550 OCZ fatality. had it for 5 years now btw.

but it's weird because now, it hasn't happened for almost an hour.... it usually happens within 30 minutes after i login in. although, i havn't been watching any yt videos and only have 2 tabs open.

might be a fucking chrome bug if u wanna know the truth. although, i updated her to the latest version..

i give up with dis shit

There's a lot of things you can do here to narrow it down, use process hacker and see what is hogging all your resources when your fps drops. Also get cpu-z and gpu-z (portable of course dont install shit) and monitor the clock speed of your processor as well as the perfcap reason+clocks of your gpu. I had an issue where my graphics card had Perfcap power at 350mhz somehow and wouldn't go higher but I fixed it by reinstalling the drivers. Bizarre.

If something isn't suddenly hogging all the resources I can almost guarantee your cpu or gpu are clocking down because that's the kind of issue it sounds like.

This post was edited by DCSS on Jul 21 2017 09:42am
Gold: 8,732.50
Jul 21 2017 10:08am
Quote (JohnMiller92 @ 21 Jul 2017 03:20)
ty for insight!

yep.. it's always around / under 2gb. Happens out of no where just browsing / using the computer. I bought a new gfx card last year (480) to upgrade from a 7850, new processor, changed my ram, bought a new monitor... a 144hz this time and it still fucking happens.

it does seem like it happens whenever i extensively start watching videos in chrome on youtube, or have chrome open for xxx duration.

but it's weird, fps drops to 20, screen tears all over the fucking place so i just log out and log back in and boom, back to 144+fps and my 144hz monitor is smooth as butter.

i give up with dis shit

when you bought those upgrades last year, i assume you fresh installed and got the latest drivers?
Jul 21 2017 01:19pm
Quote (Secksii @ Jul 21 2017 08:08am)
when you bought those upgrades last year, i assume you fresh installed and got the latest drivers?

yep definitely

Quote (DCSS @ Jul 21 2017 07:37am)
a new installation will always be faster than an old one that you've allowed to get gunked up over the years. That's inevitable. I've compared the benchmarks and performance of my clean optimized w7 system to enough people with w10 to determine that w10 would not be an improvement for me..

There's a lot of things you can do here to narrow it down, use process hacker and see what is hogging all your resources when your fps drops. Also get cpu-z and gpu-z (portable of course dont install shit) and monitor the clock speed of your processor as well as the perfcap reason+clocks of your gpu. I had an issue where my graphics card had Perfcap power at 350mhz somehow and wouldn't go higher but I fixed it by reinstalling the drivers. Bizarre.

If something isn't suddenly hogging all the resources I can almost guarantee your cpu or gpu are clocking down because that's the kind of issue it sounds like.

good idea.. i'll dl those now and see if this fps drop shit happens again and i'll check.. although i look in my resource monitor / cpu usage in task manager and my cpu is at like 1-5% (completely normal), and ram under 2gb.. makes no fucking sense.

might be my rx 480 dying out? but then again, why the hell when i re-login in windows, it fixes it

why i was thinking of maybe just upgrading to w10, but after reading this thread im not rlly inclined to do so tbh lol

This post was edited by JohnMiller92 on Jul 21 2017 01:19pm
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll