d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Motor Sports & Cars > Tranny Problems > 2004 Honda Civic
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Jul 17 2017 07:51am
So yesterday my tranny failed to move the car. it started when i was at a stop light i had the throttle atleast half way and the motor sounded like it was under a load and was hardly accelerating. then when i was going up a hill right after the light and the car got some speed and slowed way down at full throttle to the point of no moving , then when i pulled over it went into neutral and wouldnt shift into anything but park. so i pulled over thinking that it may need to cool down and i also disconnected the battery to reset the computer. and after letting it sit for 30ish minutes of not running it was able to go into gear and drive for 10 seconds and it went back into neutral. the fluid smells burnt but i dont want to accept that it is shot yet so is there anything that you would do? im going to get new shift solenoids and do a filter change if it has one. its a b17a1 with a automatic and 232k miles.
Gold: 0.69
Jul 17 2017 08:20am
the fluid probably hasnt been changed in a long time, so maybe that trans is burnt out

hope replacing those items helps you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lVga8-4YUI

maybe test them first? although im not sure this will work now that i think of it, might be a different vehicle.

I would to a tranny swap imo

This post was edited by hunter_1 on Jul 17 2017 08:40am
Jul 17 2017 11:15am
called my local tranny shop and he said they it was shot and that he suggest a rebuild. he said hes seen it many times and the filter clogs up and doesnt allow the fluid to travel through the tranny. so im getting it priced out for a master rebuilod kit and then also to do a stick shift swap for a little more reliability.
Gold: 0.69
Jul 17 2017 11:34am
Quote (YourHopeAnDream @ Jul 17 2017 09:15am)
called my local tranny shop and he said they it was shot and that he suggest a rebuild. he said hes seen it many times and the filter clogs up and doesnt allow the fluid to travel through the tranny. so im getting it priced out for a master rebuilod kit and then also to do a stick shift swap for a little more reliability.

if you buy a rebuild kit get it for the manual tranny not the automatic
stick shift swap is a whole trans assy not just turning an auto into a manual

unless thats what you have planned..

This post was edited by hunter_1 on Jul 17 2017 11:34am
Gold: 5,895.00
Jul 17 2017 11:56am
Brilliant idea disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. I did the same thing for a flat tire once, unfortunately cutting power worked about as well for me as you.
Gold: 95.99
Warn: 20%
Jul 17 2017 02:10pm
Quote (YourHopeAnDream @ Jul 17 2017 09:15am)

Did you just talk to them on the phone, not in person? So they never actually dealt with the car and are just feeding you a line?
Have you dealt with this shop before?

Most shops will feed you a line of bullshit if it means more money in their pocket at the end of the day.

Just be weary.
Jul 17 2017 10:18pm
If the rebuild kit is cheap for the automatic I'll get it for the car but if it ends up being pricy I'll look into a manual swap.

And I disconnected the battery because I once had a ranger that had a speed sensor going out and would slam gears like this was. And guess what fixed it for a 5 minute drive.

Also I've dealt with this shop before they are very honest people. He's the one that helped me with that truck he didn't charge me for 4 hours of shop time or even diagnosing the truck. So the whole time he had it I wasn't charged
Go Back To Motor Sports & Cars Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll