d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > B. S Of Software Devevelopment Vs > C. S. Vs I. T Degrees
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 312.62
Jul 16 2017 07:07am
Quote (kistfd3s @ Jul 15 2017 07:40pm)
Just my opinion but to me the major difference in hireability is going to come into play based on the types of jobs you're applying for. If you want to be applying for jobs working on applications that involve developing algorithms, then Computer Science might be a better choice as they typically have higher math requirements, and the potential employer is more likely to be interested in someone with proven math skills. If you just want to code on an application, and you don't have any dreams of writing your own algorithms then a software development degree will do you just fine.

All of that being said, I know people with only an Associates in Software Development who are doing incredible things involving the aforementioned math. Once you're out in the field the work you produce speaks for itself, and you really never stop learning (unless you stop trying). There are plenty of people out there with 2 master's degree's in different aspects of Computer Science who write terrible code, and just as many people out there who have no degree at all and write incredible code, and guess what, they end up working together on the same projects. What I'm trying to say is do what is going to make you the happiest, because in the end a B.S. is not going to define your career path.

Thank you I knew I would get there in the end I'm currently going to wgu in there Bachelors of software development.
Thank you for the help
Gold: 5,639.46
Jul 18 2017 07:11am
Quote (JohnMiller92 @ Jul 15 2017 09:18pm)
oh

good to know, i only thought community colleges were all 2 years

never knew some had 4 yr plans, well, non around i live lol

thanks, have a nice day

:thumbsup:

Quote (kistfd3s @ Jul 15 2017 08:40pm)
Just my opinion but to me the major difference in hireability is going to come into play based on the types of jobs you're applying for. If you want to be applying for jobs working on applications that involve developing algorithms, then Computer Science might be a better choice as they typically have higher math requirements, and the potential employer is more likely to be interested in someone with proven math skills. If you just want to code on an application, and you don't have any dreams of writing your own algorithms then a software development degree will do you just fine.

All of that being said, I know people with only an Associates in Software Development who are doing incredible things involving the aforementioned math. Once you're out in the field the work you produce speaks for itself, and you really never stop learning (unless you stop trying). There are plenty of people out there with 2 master's degree's in different aspects of Computer Science who write terrible code, and just as many people out there who have no degree at all and write incredible code, and guess what, they end up working together on the same projects. What I'm trying to say is do what is going to make you the happiest, because in the end a B.S. is not going to define your career path.

major difference tbh is the initial intern that a university can hook you up with, even as an alumni you should see the options they have.
tbh programming seems to be an end-all for many science majors that aren't STEM.
Gold: 1,080.37
Aug 9 2017 04:10am
This looks like some relevant discussion: Software Engineering ≠ Computer Science
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=695506

and heres my own experience of a community college:
http://home.scarlet.be/spb30297
Gold: 0.85
Aug 9 2017 12:56pm
I'm a sr. software engineer and have sat in on quite a few interviews. In application development if you get a B.S. degree with the words "software engineer" or "computer science" and you can do decent in an interview and maybe a coding assignment, you will very very likely get a job. I don't think I've sat in on an interview with anyone with an associates degree, so I think my company might not even consider those. The demand is so huge for people who can program, though. So just grab the nearest B.S. degree and get in there, business is booming if you know how to program.

I can't comment on the more theoretical type sciency jobs. Maybe you really would need computer science and not software engineering?

I would stay away from anything called information science or anything referred to as "I.T". These to me always seemed more like tech support or the guy from the cable company that will come and hook your modem up.

In summary, if you want a programming job making good money just get a B.S. in software engineering or computer science and you should be golden.
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll