d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature > Electricity Smart Meter
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 284,700.00
Jul 7 2017 10:05pm
Hi there.

just a question. but i have seen multiple blogs and videos on how to lower your electricity costs. simply by putting a magnet on the meter or even on the power board located in the house.
Does anyone know if this actually works? or if there is another way.

I just moved home and for some reason this house is using double if not triple the amount of power and I cannot understand why that is, I have checked the hot water C and its fine.
Gold: 445.00
Jul 9 2017 09:23am
I assume you have done some research on why a magnet on the meter lowers your cost.

Is this to trick the energy readers?

Also, are you using the same appliances? Are all lights converted to low energy light bulbs, etc.

Lower your energy consumption, lower your bill.
Gold: 258.41
Jul 9 2017 03:39pm
Quote (Ferbus @ Jul 8 2017 04:05am)
I just moved home and for some reason this house is using double if not triple the amount of power and I cannot understand why that is, I have checked the hot water C and its fine.

Electrician

Gold: 0.00
Sep 2 2017 12:14am
Quote (Ferbus @ Jul 8 2017 12:05pm)
Hi there.

just a question. but i have seen multiple blogs and videos on how to lower your electricity costs. simply by putting a magnet on the meter or even on the power board located in the house.

Quote (MrSkales @ Jul 10 2017 05:39am)
Electrician

I read that this trick don't work,but I haven't tried it yet. did the magnet plan push through? how did it go?
Gold: 19,640.61
Oct 24 2017 04:54pm
Quote (Ferbus @ Jul 7 2017 11:05pm)
Hi there.

Okay... in industrial applications, that are inductive load heavy such as motors, they have add giant capacitors to put the power back in phase.... lots of technical stuff. Anyway, engineers use the "real and imaginary axis (sqrt -1) and more blah blah. The idea it to convert everything to real power.. more technical stuff.

In your home the main motors (inductive loads) are fans, refrigerator compressor, a/c compressor, washer/dryer motor. Yes they burn imaginary power but not enough to warrant any giant capacitor banks. Anyway... in a long winded way... from a science point of view, a magnet will not save you on the power used. You could try to fool the meter in someway but then you would have to have some engineering skills and be making a 6-figure salary anyway and won't be worried about power bills.

Now.. as for the why your house is using triple the power over another house?
- Bigger house?
- More sun load from big giant windows facing south? (assuming northern hemisphere)
- More freezing northerly winds from big giant windows facing south?
- Poorly insulated house?
- New cable modems, cable boxes, or smart TVs, PCs, home security? These bloody things suck 20watts each all the time when plugged in and don't turn off (24hr x 20w = ~500W => half kilo-watt-hour/day = 9cents/day = $2.70/month) - 10 of these stupid devices = $27/month extra.

This post was edited by joeinfhills on Oct 24 2017 05:00pm
Gold: 8,933.00
Oct 24 2017 05:48pm
If you want to lower your electric bills, just tap into the neighbor's line before it gets to his meter. That's how they grew pot in my best friend's house before he bought the house from the bank. You should have seen the electrical box nightmare in the basement when he moved in.
Gold: 90.58
Oct 25 2017 02:03am
Quote (Santara @ Oct 24 2017 04:48pm)
If you want to lower your electric bills, just tap into the neighbor's line before it gets to his meter. That's how they grew pot in my best friend's house before he bought the house from the bank. You should have seen the electrical box nightmare in the basement when he moved in.

:hail:
Gold: 238.00
Trader: Trusted
Nov 10 2017 07:19pm
Turn off all lights, unplug everything, and begin toggling breakers until your meter slows down to almost no increase. Reverse the process and see where your power consumption jumps the most. Odds are that your new house has different appliances. If you find the breaker guilty of spiking your meter, leave it off and search for what stopped working.
Banned
Gold: 0.00
Nov 16 2017 02:57pm
Quote (Ferbus @ Jul 8 2017 05:05am)
Hi there.

This
Gold: 49,200.89
Nov 17 2017 02:29pm
Quote (Ferbus @ Jul 8 2017 12:05am)
simply by putting a magnet on the meter or even on the power board located in the house.

Made me think of this..

heh
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll