d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Need A New Desktop Pc > Around $500 Budget
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 92.71
Warn: 50%
Aug 2 2017 03:38pm
Quote (Ghot @ Jun 19 2017 08:07pm)
Takes 20-30 mins to build a PC, if your slow.

For a first time person? No

I've had too many bad experiences with dell

This post was edited by WhoBut_WBMason on Aug 2 2017 03:39pm
Gold: 8,732.50
Aug 2 2017 03:42pm
Quote (mykromisfit @ 2 Aug 2017 14:25)
just an update.. I bought that computer. Had a lot of issues with it so far. First the shipping was almost two weeks, they emailed me 3 days after it was supposed to be here to say there was a delay, another week later they take money out of my account, and 3 days later, the computer arrived. was getting everything set up, and during the setup the keyboard decided it didn't want to work. So I was using the screen keyboard and then it decided it didn't want to work. restarted computer and same thing happened. called dell, they were useless, had me switch usb ports and several different things. restarted computer again several times until everything worked like it should, got everything working, windows was up, installed a couple programs, a day later it updates.... and couldn't connect to my bluetooth speakers. they did a teamviewer thing and decided that my bluetooth drivers didn't install with the last update, so a hard reset was recommended. I reset the entire computer again, and this time something bad happened, it decided it wasn't going to install windows. Called Dell, they went through over an hour of my time screwing around and decided that I needed to reboot the computer from a flash drive with windows 10 on it....... problem, I don't have another computer to load windows on a flash drive, so they wanted me to go to a library the next day where they could walk me through putting windows 10 on a flash drive.... problem, I haven't been to a library in about 10 years, and don't know where one is, nor do I care to waste my time at a damn library. so....

the Dell REP suggested I walk into the local post office with a flash drive and ask them if I can use their computer for a couple hours.

I've never been accused of being a really smart man, but I'm pretty sure that would violate a couple federal laws? No thanks.

So I did what anyone with more $ than brains would do, I bought another new computer. Just went to wally world and picked out the best display model they had for sale, already set up ready to go, an HP pavillion something or other, $500 easy, touchscreen.

So I get it home and think, I don't want this darryn guy to have my passwords and information linked to his gmail and microsoft account, so I youtube'd how to hard reset the HP, without an admin password, and come to find out it's the same way you do a Dell.... so, ....

TL;DR

Now I have two fully functional PC's and am pretty fed up with Dell, it's basically an $800 paperweight for me with the monitor keyboard mouse wall mount etc etc... , so I guess I'll give it to the kids, fuck it.

Lesson of the day, don't screw with cheap shit and a budget, if your not willing to come off the money for a quality product, don't buy anything until you are. I tried to be cheap and ended up shelling out over a grand anyway, would have been a lot better off with a badass machine for 12-1400 in the first place.

well glad you learned, and main reason why none of us suggest prebuilds cuz they're often trash especially for the money you pay for.
Gold: Locked
Warn: 60%
Aug 2 2017 05:43pm
Quote (Secksii @ Aug 2 2017 05:42pm)
well glad you learned, and main reason why none of us suggest prebuilds cuz they're often trash especially for the money you pay for.

he has time to jump thru all these hoops but not enough to put a few components together like legos
Gold: 114,236.06
Warn: 10%
Aug 3 2017 07:48pm
Return it to Dell. Can't believe they asked you to do all that
Gold: 1,093.37
Aug 5 2017 09:30pm
Quote (DCSS @ 2 Aug 2017 18:43)
he has time to jump thru all these hoops but not enough to put a few components together like legos

nope, I don't, which is why I bought the walmart computer, it's the kids problem now. it's in my 13 yr olds bedroom.

I'll probably stop being cheap and just buy a decent computer after this one makes me some money. I'm not a pro at all but I have managed to pick up on the basics of CAD and designing parts, which cuts out the middle man and allows me to have my products made to my specs. Next step is a CNC machine so I won't have to pay shop rates to have my products made, it's a headache I'll gladly take on and well worth my time.

I do appreciate your alls time, I'm not blaming you for a bad recommendation, had the thing worked I would have been satisfied with that CPU... so thank you for what you did do!

Just fyi, for your own info, the graphics cards in both machines is just barely good enough for Fusion 360/CAD/CAM software. It gets the job done but does blur images. not a big deal since it works but a better gfx card would be ideal. :)

This post was edited by mykromisfit on Aug 5 2017 09:35pm
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll