d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > College Degree Or Experience? > Who Would You Rather Hire?
Prev12348Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Jun 16 2017 11:26am
Quote (thesnipa @ 16 Jun 2017 10:23)
generally a balanced approach works best, that's the reason apprenticeships are so valuable. you get a condensed version of the book learning then a mentored hands on education.

I agree, because some people just don't do to well in college universities etc.
Gold: 2,489.69
Jun 16 2017 11:28am
Quote (DrFetus @ Jun 16 2017 11:26am)
I agree, because some people just don't do to well in college universities etc.

generally the phrase "i'm not a good test taker" is scoffed at, but it's a real thing. Many college courses have boiled down to your grade subsisting of 3-6 tests through out a semester with nothing to bolster it. Even if "test taking" isn't the real issue, doing bad in a stressful environment is a real thing.
Gold: 8,933.00
Jun 16 2017 11:38am
Experience doing the job I'm trying to fill? Experience.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 35,078.94
Trader: Trusted
Jun 16 2017 11:45am
That's so difficult without knowing the industry. Assuming I'm hiring someone who has 4 years of experience in the field instead of a 4 year degree, I'd take the degree, absolutely, regardless of what it's in. If you're asking me if I'd take a 40 year old over a 22 year old grad, that's a toss up.

People without degrees (and some with) don't understand why it's valued. Likely, you forget 80% of what you learned in college, at least. The reason it's valuable is that it shows you were able to commit to something pretty difficult with your time, effort, and money for at least 4 years consistently, and finish. Anyone can go work, not everyone can consistently continue to do well enough to keep grades up and get a degree over and over for years til completion. That is why I value it so much, and that's why the vast majority of employers for skilled work value it.

Quote (thesnipa @ Jun 16 2017 12:28pm)
generally the phrase "i'm not a good test taker" is scoffed at, but it's a real thing. Many college courses have boiled down to your grade subsisting of 3-6 tests through out a semester with nothing to bolster it. Even if "test taking" isn't the real issue, doing bad in a stressful environment is a real thing.

Bad test taker = someone who isn't willing to put in the effort to study without checking their phone/pc every 2 seconds for hours on end until the information you're studying sinks in. Plain and simple. The stressful environment is semi-fair, but I remember I used to be horrible at public speaking. I was so afraid I'd be teased or I'd stutter or say "like or um" too many times, etc. So I learned to be 110% prepared so that I could confidently say the words just as easily as I could sing every word to my favorite song on the radio because I'd listened so many times. When it's second nature, it becomes much easier. That's all test taking is. Practice and study over and over and over and over until you have it so engrained that it sticks and you don't freeze from the stress.

This post was edited by AspenSniper on Jun 16 2017 11:49am
Jun 16 2017 11:51am
Quote (AspenSniper @ Jun 16 2017 11:45am)

Bad test taker = someone who isn't willing to put in the effort to study without checking their phone/pc every 2 seconds for hours on end until the information you're studying sinks in. Plain and simple. The stressful environment is semi-fair, but I remember I used to be horrible at public speaking. I was so afraid I'd be teased or I'd stutter or say "like or um" too many times, etc. So I learned to be 110% prepared so that I could confidently say the words just as easily as I could sing every word to my favorite song on the radio because I'd listened so many times. When it's second nature, it becomes much easier. That's all test taking is. Practice and study over and over and over and over until you have it so engrained that it sticks and you don't freeze from the stress.

that's dumb. studies show people's ability to retain info, especially under duress, varies greatly. try not to oversimplify the human existence to your own life, man.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 35,078.94
Trader: Trusted
Jun 16 2017 11:58am
Quote (thesnipa @ Jun 16 2017 12:51pm)
that's dumb. studies show people's ability to retain info, especially under duress, varies greatly. try not to oversimplify the human existence to your own life, man.

Please, I've read those studies too. It's definitely true that stress correlates to lower test scores. I said it was "semi-fair" in my last post. My point is if you study to the point of being able to get say an 80% on a test, but because you're a stressy spaz you score a 65%, had you studied to the point of getting a 95% you'll still score an 80% and be fine.

Meaning, yeah of course those who stress more than others will score poorly (like my wife), but if you study til you're 100% solid, you can still do pretty well on tests and get through it no problem. I don't believe that more than a tiny minority of people truly hold so much stress that they physically and mentally cannot get through a test because their memory explodes. I just don't buy it, and in the studies I've read, neither do they. In what I recall reading, people who are categorized as "high stress" score on average like 6% lower than those who are categorized as "low stress." 6% isn't going to make it so you can't go to college. Get out of here.
Gold: 5,639.46
Jun 16 2017 11:58am
Quote (duffman316 @ Jun 16 2017 12:01pm)
gender studies degree vs ability to operate a coffee machine

decisions decisions

I lol'd so hard.

college degree isn't worth much, undergrads barely.

It's people you know first, and then experience second.

Quote (thesnipa @ Jun 16 2017 12:12pm)
I currently have a job as a mechanical draftsmen and layout designer for a conveyor belt company.

I have a Bachelors degree in Criminal Justice, an incomplete law school education, and zero experience (prior to getting the job) in any related field such as fabrication, design, or assembly.

so i answer neither.

passing law school only brings debt, doesn't guarantee you will be a lawyer or make money.
That's what state bar exams are for.

e: part of being in a university, especially one that is famous for it's reputation, is to make contacts and associates (preferably with your professor/future mentors, ignore bball time with the fratboys)
Most people go through this misconception that simply because they went to a university they got something out of it, those people barely go to office hours or do any extra-curriculur movements towards their future career.

Job fairs, join apple pie theta, get in it.
'
Quote (thesnipa @ Jun 16 2017 12:28pm)

no one looks at your gpa, mine is shit and I'm doing plenty research.
Flesh out that resume while you can.

Quote (thesnipa @ Jun 16 2017 01:03pm)
umm i dropped out and took a job elsewhere. i'm not sure what your post's purpose is.

it's purpose wasn't to attack you, but poke you with an ugly stick.
hope to steer you in the right direction.

This post was edited by Arcolithe on Jun 16 2017 12:06pm
Jun 16 2017 12:03pm
Quote (Arcolithe @ Jun 16 2017 11:58am)

passing law school only brings debt, doesn't guarantee you will be a lawyer or make money.
That's what state bar exams are for.

umm i dropped out and took a job elsewhere. i'm not sure what your post's purpose is.
Gold: 285.00
Jun 16 2017 12:19pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Jun 16 2017 12:51pm)

I read things once and can recall it on a test three weeks later.

I sympathize with bad test takers. I've been in work groups with people who were phenomenal but couldnt test well.
Jun 16 2017 12:21pm
Quote (Skinned @ Jun 16 2017 12:19pm)
I read things once and can recall it on a test three weeks later.

I sympathize with bad test takers. I've been in work groups with people who were phenomenal but couldnt test well.

i also have a phenomenal memory, my wife is the polar opposite. it makes for some frustrating "i told you that specifically and in detail" conversations where (from our memory's perspective) we're both "right".
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12348Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll