d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Other Games > Consoles > Sony > Disk Drive Issues
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 285.00
Jun 14 2017 11:44pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Jun 14 2017 10:36pm)
The problem is if you have tampered with it, out of warranty or not, the OEM will usually immediately stop the repair and send it back the second they notice. They don't want deal with potential 3rd party issues coming back on them so they won't even touch it.

Edit: basically the second you open it up you are losing all help you could recieve from Sony at any point, now or in the future.

I wasn't even aware that they did that. I assumed it was only within the warranty period that it was an issue. So attempting the fix myself and then sending it to them if I can't fix it would warrant them to not even want to repair it for $$$?

Quote (Property_Damage @ Jun 14 2017 11:12pm)
Same here
But I sent it in to a local computer repair shop
Spent $80

Would sending it to a 3rd party repair shop essentially do what he stated above? Rule out any help from Sony in the future?

This post was edited by Mattd90 on Jun 14 2017 11:44pm
Gold: 10,025.00
Jun 15 2017 01:43am
Quote (Mattd90 @ Jun 14 2017 11:44pm)
I wasn't even aware that they did that. I assumed it was only within the warranty period that it was an issue. So attempting the fix myself and then sending it to them if I can't fix it would warrant them to not even want to repair it for $$$?

Would sending it to a 3rd party repair shop essentially do what he stated above? Rule out any help from Sony in the future?

They won't touch it if there is evidence someone else has opened it up. Even for $$$.
Gold: 11,565.01
Jun 18 2017 02:40am
and they prob have those special stickers to show whether or not they have been taken off
Gold: 9,181.50
Jun 22 2017 09:06pm
I was playing a game a short while ago, then shut off my ps4 for the night..I walked away and about 10minutes later without touching my console or controllers, my ps4 beeped like 7 times, turned itself on and spit out my game disc..then it wouldn't take the disc and was making a weird processing noise every 5 or so seconds..like the drive was trying to read a disc that wasn't there..I shut it off, restarted it, then it said on screen that my external hard drive was improperly disconnected..I rebooted it again, it accepted my disc and there doesn't seem to be any issues thus far..there's a couple quick fixes when it comes to the auto eject..1 is to rebuild the data bases in safe mode, another is to prop the ps4 so it isn't laying flat on whatever surface it's on or stand it vertically..and the 3rd is to take off the glossy hard drive cover and tighten a specific screw (you would have to see a video tutorial because it's hard to describe in words where it's located) all of these solutions can be found on YouTube..probably doesn't help OP with his issue but it's kind of odd this just literally happened to me..it's now unplugged until I can tinker with it tomorrow
Jun 26 2017 01:47pm
Quote (Property_Damage @ Jun 22 2017 10:06pm)
I was playing a game a short while ago, then shut off my ps4 for the night..I walked away and about 10minutes later without touching my console or controllers, my ps4 beeped like 7 times, turned itself on and spit out my game disc..then it wouldn't take the disc and was making a weird processing noise every 5 or so seconds..like the drive was trying to read a disc that wasn't there..I shut it off, restarted it, then it said on screen that my external hard drive was improperly disconnected..I rebooted it again, it accepted my disc and there doesn't seem to be any issues thus far..there's a couple quick fixes when it comes to the auto eject..1 is to rebuild the data bases in safe mode, another is to prop the ps4 so it isn't laying flat on whatever surface it's on or stand it vertically..and the 3rd is to take off the glossy hard drive cover and tighten a specific screw (you would have to see a video tutorial because it's hard to describe in words where it's located) all of these solutions can be found on YouTube..probably doesn't help OP with his issue but it's kind of odd this just literally happened to me..it's now unplugged until I can tinker with it tomorrow

I did all that (except Safe Mode) and then some. The beeping auto eject has been an occasional problem since I got it. All the stuff online said it was a problem with almost all PS4s, and there wasn't much outside of temporary fixes for it. I wish now that I replaced it under warranty, I just had bad experiences doing that with my xbox360 in the past.

The problem for me now is that the beeping and auto eject was always the issue, but now it doesn't do that, it doesn't take any discs at all. Other than that, the ps4 works normally. The video I found online shows an issue very similar to mine, and I'm sure I can fix it myself, but if I fuck it up or that wasn't event he real issue, then I cant even send in my PS4 to be repaired.

Question now is, based on everyone saying $100-$150 to repair it outside of warranty, is it even worth it at that point?
Jun 26 2017 03:32pm
Update: Just called Sony, and they will still fix the playstation if you decide to open it up yourself and tamper with it. For example, it would cost $99 + tax to fix mine. The guy told me if I wanted to open up the warranty screws and try to fix it myself, and I can't find out whats wrong with it, I can still send it for the $99 + tax to get it fixed. The only time they will not fix it and just send it back, even for money, is if there's severe water damage or insect infestation. This is whether its inside or outside the warranty. So it wouldn't hurt for me to attempt to fix it first before sending it to them.

Just an FYI to anyone who is having similar issues.
Gold: 445.00
Jun 26 2017 05:12pm
Quote (Mattd90 @ Jun 26 2017 05:32pm)
Update: Just called Sony, and they will still fix the playstation if you decide to open it up yourself and tamper with it. For example, it would cost $99 + tax to fix mine. The guy told me if I wanted to open up the warranty screws and try to fix it myself, and I can't find out whats wrong with it, I can still send it for the $99 + tax to get it fixed. The only time they will not fix it and just send it back, even for money, is if there's severe water damage or insect infestation. This is whether its inside or outside the warranty. So it wouldn't hurt for me to attempt to fix it first before sending it to them.

Just an FYI to anyone who is having similar issues.

It is worth mentioning in all scenarios "warranty void if removed" stickers are illegal and can't be reinforced but in any case you will be fighting the manufacturer and they will win so no one really holds them to it.

This post was edited by ROM on Jun 26 2017 05:13pm
Jun 26 2017 11:21pm
Quote (ROM @ Jun 26 2017 06:12pm)
It is worth mentioning in all scenarios "warranty void if removed" stickers are illegal and can't be reinforced but in any case you will be fighting the manufacturer and they will win so no one really holds them to it.

Yeah, can't fight a giant. Won't go to court over a $400 system though. But in any case, my warranty expired well over a year ago, so, I may as well attempt to fix it myself first. It's going to cost me $99 if I do attempt to fix it, or don't lol.
Jun 29 2017 09:20pm
Update: fixed the disc drive myself. Saved $100+
It was easy, although the white piece that transfers the torque on the rollers was barely loose. I also cleaned the rollers too. Hopefully it stays fixed.
Go Back To Sony Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll