d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > The Mummy & Suicide Squad
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 10,025.00
Jun 10 2017 11:36pm
Apparently this isn't a reboot of the mummy we know, it is part of what they are calling the dark universe and will include all of the traditional monsters.
Gold: 22,720.48
Jun 11 2017 12:11am
Quote (Blah58 @ Jun 11 2017 12:36am)
Apparently this isn't a reboot of the mummy we know, it is part of what they are calling the dark universe and will include all of the traditional monsters.

Which is part of the problem with a lot of critics, they keep looking at fraiser's mummy, which was an extremely loose reboot of the original mummy and had nothing to do with this. The movie was a mess, but it's not nearly as bad as people are claiming it is. The problem was they tried way too hard to force in the universe instead of letting it develop on it's own.

Given that Van Helsing will be part of the universe, they should've started with that and then introduced the monsters into each of their own movies. Cruise was originally tapped for the role of helsing, but I haven't seen anything else about that. Universal is making the same mistake DC did with their extended universe, trying to force it together instead of letting it develop on it's own. WW turned out great, but they've missed the mark on everything else. They got justice league coming up next, but that should've been their ultimate movie, with the flash, aquaman and cyborg movies coming before it. They're doing things backwards.

This post was edited by Arsenic_Touch on Jun 11 2017 12:27am
Jun 11 2017 02:57am
Quote (Arsenic_Touch @ Jun 11 2017 12:11am)
Which is part of the problem with a lot of critics, they keep looking at fraiser's mummy, which was an extremely loose reboot of the original mummy and had nothing to do with this. The movie was a mess, but it's not nearly as bad as people are claiming it is. The problem was they tried way too hard to force in the universe instead of letting it develop on it's own.

Given that Van Helsing will be part of the universe, they should've started with that and then introduced the monsters into each of their own movies. Cruise was originally tapped for the role of helsing, but I haven't seen anything else about that. Universal is making the same mistake DC did with their extended universe, trying to force it together instead of letting it develop on it's own. WW turned out great, but they've missed the mark on everything else. They got justice league coming up next, but that should've been their ultimate movie, with the flash, aquaman and cyborg movies coming before it. They're doing things backwards.

I disagree with you on the dccu, I've enjoyed all the movies and think they get too much shit.

I also think that they are doing this dark universe thing wrong. They are taking movies/monsters that are horror based and turning them into giant action bullshit(if the rest follow this one in tone/pacing). I think if they went a bit more traditional and maybe tried a horror franchise the dark universe could have been amazing. But at this point it is extremely obvious the dark universe is meant to cash in on foreign markets instead of being focused on making good movies.

This post was edited by Blah58 on Jun 11 2017 02:58am
Gold: 2,570.91
Jun 11 2017 04:34pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ 8 Jun 2017 02:06)
There wasn't a single scary part in the originals... and I saw that shit when I was 9 years old.

Kids who were afraid of bugs didn't enjoy the beetle scenes though :LOL:

My best friend at the time was scared of bugs in general (although he was mostly aracnophobic) and he flipped his shit with those scenes :D
Gold: 23.00
Jun 12 2017 03:43pm
Quote (Arsenic_Touch @ Jun 11 2017 02:11am)

That's one of the good things about MCU. They effortless and subtly weaved them together.
Jun 12 2017 04:53pm
Quote (fuzzy159 @ Jun 12 2017 03:43pm)
That's one of the good things about MCU. They effortless and subtly weaved them together.

I am pretty sure the end cameo scenes are more of a giant dickslap in the face than an effortless weaving. They are probably one of the most annoying part of the mcu. Along with the shitty one liners. And that all stuggle is internal fighting because no enemy ever stands a chance. And that every fight is a big city destroying cgifest.
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Jun 13 2017 02:36am
Quote (zarkadon @ Jun 11 2017 02:34pm)
Kids who were afraid of bugs didn't enjoy the beetle scenes though :LOL:

My best friend at the time was scared of bugs in general (although he was mostly aracnophobic) and he flipped his shit with those scenes :D

I get that. Guess I just didn't think about people who have that issue. My wife loses her shit around bugs, but they've never once even slightly bothered me.

I fucking loved the first Mummy movie, and I enjoyed the second one as well. Even the Scorpion King was enjoyable. All 3 of those are just fucking terrible movies, but they're that perfect blend of bad comedy/bad acting and bad story where it actually all comes together in cheesy goodness and works.
Gold: 2,570.91
Jun 13 2017 09:55am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ 13 Jun 2017 10:36)
I get that. Guess I just didn't think about people who have that issue. My wife loses her shit around bugs, but they've never once even slightly bothered me.

Yeah, me neither. I actually always found those scenes quite funny. But it looks like lots of people were afraid by them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARUzoPWS4Uk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI2raWlzZxU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJP8XTzpOCw

:LOL:

Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ 13 Jun 2017 10:36)
I fucking loved the first Mummy movie, and I enjoyed the second one as well. Even the Scorpion King was enjoyable. All 3 of those are just fucking terrible movies, but they're that perfect blend of bad comedy/bad acting and bad story where it actually all comes together in cheesy goodness and works.

Yeah, I really enjoyed the first one when I was a kid. The other ones not so much, although the second one was ok-ish at the time. Then when I rewatched it as an adult and I noticed how many ridiculous scenes there were... I especially love this one:

wtf :rofl:

The Scorpion King and especially the one with Jet Li were garbage imo. The first one is still pretty decent imo. Cheesy for sure, but not as ridiculous as the second one, and not a half-assed money milking crap without creativity as the sequels that followed.
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Prev123
Add Reply New Topic New Poll