d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > Justice League New Director > Zach Snyder Leaves Hires Joss Whedon
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 10,025.00
May 22 2017 11:46pm
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/zack-snyder-steps-down-justice-league-deal-family-tragedy-1006455

His daughter committed suicide. Joss has apparently stepped in to finish the project in his place.
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
May 23 2017 12:45am
That's awful...

It's probably too late to salvage the film, most things touched by Synder are lackluster and that's being as nice as I possibly can about his work. I like Joss, but I disliked both Avengers movies and wouldn't have too much faith in him creating something good if this was his project from the start.

Feel bad for Synder though, I couldn't even fucking imagine what he's going through. A co-worker of my mom's had a daughter kill herself recently. She was gorgeous, well liked/popular, intelligent, and she did exceedingly well in school. You just never really know what kind of demons people are fighting.
May 23 2017 01:35am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ May 23 2017 12:45am)
That's awful...

It's probably too late to salvage the film, most things touched by Synder are lackluster and that's being as nice as I possibly can about his work. I like Joss, but I disliked both Avengers movies and wouldn't have too much faith in him creating something good if this was his project from the start.

Feel bad for Synder though, I couldn't even fucking imagine what he's going through. A co-worker of my mom's had a daughter kill herself recently. She was gorgeous, well liked/popular, intelligent, and she did exceedingly well in school. You just never really know what kind of demons people are fighting.

I personally like his films. Watchmen is in my top 5. I also like his dc films and think they get more shit than they deserve. I guess Joss is only doing some small parts that have been rewritten or added(which is concerning, rewritting is usually studio fuckery which fails 100% of the time).

The girl supposedly wrote a sci-fi book before her death that might be published with all proceeds going to charity. I hope it happens it would probably be an interesting read, no matter the skill level.

This post was edited by Blah58 on May 23 2017 01:36am
May 23 2017 02:04am
Quote (Blah58 @ May 22 2017 11:35pm)
I personally like his films. Watchmen is in my top 5. I also like his dc films and think they get more shit than they deserve. I guess Joss is only doing some small parts that have been rewritten or added(which is concerning, rewritting is usually studio fuckery which fails 100% of the time).

The girl supposedly wrote a sci-fi book before her death that might be published with all proceeds going to charity. I hope it happens it would probably be an interesting read, no matter the skill level.

I'm positive it'll get published if it's completed or near completion. Synder has tons of pull and if he wants this to happen, it'll happen. I hope it's not against her wishes. Way too many people are offing themselves right now.

Watchmen was amazing. It was true to the source material, it was beautiful, it was well casted, and I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the performances by everyone. Even moreso by Rorschach and The Comedian, who were about as close to perfect as humanly possible.

As far as directing/writing goes, Watchmen was the only movie of his I thought was great. The first 300 was somewhat enjoyable, but it wasn't a good movie. The second one was just horrible. I know you'll probably disagree with me on this, but Sucker Punch was just the fucking worst. I hated that movie with a passion, and please don't say I just didn't understand it, that's just not even remotely true. Dawn of the Dead was along the same lines of 300 and all the Superman movies have been just outright bad imo. I think the only other movie he did was Legends of the Guardians, which I didn't find enjoyable, even for a kid's movie, and I love family movies. Just watched Kubo the other day and it was fucking awesome.

Edit : can't sleep yet, just turned on Watchmen because of this conversation lol. Haven't seen it in probably 3+ years, I'm pretty excited.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on May 23 2017 02:29am
May 23 2017 02:29am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ May 23 2017 02:04am)
I'm positive it'll get published if it's completed or near completion. Synder has tons of pull and if he wants this to happen, it'll happen. I hope it's not against her wishes. Way too many people are offing themselves right now.

Watchmen was amazing. It was true to the source material, it was beautiful, it was well casted, and I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the performances by everyone. Even moreso by Rorschach and The Comedian, who were about as close to perfect as humanly possible.

As far as directing/writing goes, Watchmen was the only movie of his I thought was great. The first 300 was somewhat enjoyable, but it wasn't a good movie. The second one was just horrible. I know you'll probably disagree with me on this, but Sucker Punch was just the fucking worst. I hated that movie with a passion, and please don't say I just didn't understand it, that's just not even remotely true. Dawn of the Dead was along the same lines of 300 and all the Superman movies have been just outright bad imo. I think the only other movie he did was Legends of the Guardians, which I didn't find enjoyable, even for a kid's movie, and I love family movies. Just watched Kubo the other day and it was fucking awesome.

Sucker Punch was terrible. Dawn of the dead is one of the better remakes of an older film. Actually deserving of its remake unlike most of the other shit put out these days.

I like the DC films because they feel like the comics come to life to me. All the previous batman/superman live action stuff haven't really felt like the comics to me. They feel like someone taking source material and changing it to their vision. I mean that is perfectly fine, look at how good the nolan trilogy was. There is just something childish inside me that gets all giddy seeing the giant menacing batfleck tower over criminals.

I mean obviously I think the movies could have been better if they sticked closer to the source material plot-wise. DC has some of the best story arcs in all of comics, but I realize that a lot of the great stories would be terribly hard to convert to the big screen. Requiring either way too lengthy of a movie or multiple movies to tell one story. They also would be harder to pitch to a studio. So I am personally perfectly fine overlooking a subpar plot for the true comic feel the movies give me. Also a close friend of mine loves them as well so we fangasm over them together which is fun.

Haters gonna hate. But not me, give me 6'3" Batman destroying a table with a guys face any day of the week. That might sound shallow but fuck it I'm human.
May 23 2017 02:33am
Quote (Blah58 @ May 23 2017 12:29am)
Sucker Punch was terrible. Dawn of the dead is one of the better remakes of an older film. Actually deserving of its remake unlike most of the other shit put out these days.

I like the DC films because they feel like the comics come to life to me. All the previous batman/superman live action stuff haven't really felt like the comics to me. They feel like someone taking source material and changing it to their vision. I mean that is perfectly fine, look at how good the nolan trilogy was. There is just something childish inside me that gets all giddy seeing the giant menacing batfleck tower over criminals.

I mean obviously I think the movies could have been better if they sticked closer to the source material plot-wise. DC has some of the best story arcs in all of comics, but I realize that a lot of the great stories would be terribly hard to convert to the big screen. Requiring either way too lengthy of a movie or multiple movies to tell one story. They also would be harder to pitch to a studio. So I am personally perfectly fine overlooking a subpar plot for the true comic feel the movies give me. Also a close friend of mine loves them as well so we fangasm over them together which is fun.

Haters gonna hate. But not me, give me 6'3" Batman destroying a table with a guys face any day of the week. That might sound shallow but fuck it I'm human.

I don't disagree with you on any point and your reasoning behind enjoying the films is solid.

I don't have anyone to get excited with when it comes to these kind of movies and that certainly detracts from them for me. While my two closest friends are both incredibly easy going and just overall nice guys, they're as cynical and worn out on the superhero franchises as I am. I actually do like Affleck for Batman though. I think he's better than Bale from what I've seen, it's just impossible to compete with Nolan though, the man is a fucking genius.
May 23 2017 02:45am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ May 23 2017 02:33am)
I don't disagree with you on any point and your reasoning behind enjoying the films is solid.

I don't have anyone to get excited with when it comes to these kind of movies and that certainly detracts from them for me. While my two closest friends are both incredibly easy going and just overall nice guys, they're as cynical and worn out on the superhero franchises as I am. I actually do like Affleck for Batman though. I think he's better than Bale from what I've seen, it's just impossible to compete with Nolan though, the man is a fucking genius.

I think my biggest issue with superhero films is the same concept that made nolans 3rd movie the worst of tbe trilogy (imo). In an interview before the third one nolan talked about how a movie has to be bigger, more grand than the previous movies. This mentality seems to be everywhere in superhero movies and if it just stopped things would be fine.

In either 2015 or 2016, I think it was 2016 DC published a one issue Batman comic where there was a blackout in gothem and Batman spent all night trying to figure out who did, what the plan was what he had to do etc. He chased down every lead checked on every major villain because its a city-wide blackout in gothem that means shit is going to be going down. Turns out it was just a legitimate blackout and the issue ended peacefully, not with some major life/death battle. It was so refreshing and one of my favourite comics now.

I think that is what we need. Start scaling this shit back, at the current rate superhero movies, no action movies in general, are completely unsustainable. This whole MAKE EVERYTHING BIGGER, MORE EXPLOSIONS, MORE WORLD DESTROYING PLOTS AHHHH thing is exhausting​.

I recently rewatched the korean film chocolate. Its about a girl going around kicking the shit out of people that owe her mom money so her mom can pay for medical help. Where is something like that in modern Hollywood?

/endrant
Gold: 1.71
May 23 2017 10:18am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ May 23 2017 03:04am)

Edit : can't sleep yet, just turned on Watchmen because of this conversation lol. Haven't seen it in probably 3+ years, I'm pretty excited.

So close to the source material that the author refuses to acknowledge its existence. :rofl:

Graphic novel is a million times better than the movie.
May 23 2017 10:49am
Quote (illyria @ May 23 2017 08:18am)
So close to the source material that the author refuses to acknowledge its existence. :rofl:

Graphic novel is a million times better than the movie.

You obviously don't know much about the author. The film could have been a 100% perfect adaptation of his work and he still would have hated it lol.

I wouldn't be surprised if he never even watched the film. You should really take your time in reviewing all the information available before pointlessly trying to attack someone's opinion. Perhaps you haven't read Watchmen and watched the movie, but I implore you to do so, they did a pretty good fucking job.

Edit @ Blah : I agree completely. I fucking loathe that Hollywood acts this way. The bigger, more explosions etc.. Bullshit is ruining the genre.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on May 23 2017 11:09am
Gold: 25.20
May 23 2017 11:23am
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ May 23 2017 02:04am)
I know you'll probably disagree with me on this, but Sucker Punch was just the fucking worst. I hated that movie with a passion, and please don't say I just didn't understand it, that's just not even remotely true.

I liked Sucker Punch. It was really different and that made it entertaining.

Not saying it's got amazing plot and character development or anything. Just really entertaining overall.

This post was edited by FroggyG on May 23 2017 11:23am
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll