d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Qa Advice
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 169.00
May 18 2017 05:21am
Hello everyone,

I have thought for applying for a software dev job in one company and they require selection test to get in. And since I have not been familiar with languages they are using, I will probably need 3month education trought pluralsight and some other sources.
In the meantime they also offered position for QA, and it is possible to work as QA for several months, and then try to pass interview for a developer, and I wanted to go that way to have enough time for study.

Now about QA position, selection among candidates is made on this way:
-You get some random website.
-You should write detailed report with test-cases etc.
-You have 7 days for it.

For last 3 years I have been working in a network field (xDSL , VoIP, IPTV, DSLAM etc) , also in the meantime I do have few years of experience in programming (mostly C), few certificates from edX, and do have some finished projects to show on github and bachelor degree (computer science) and heading to masters.
But I have never worked with something related to QA. I am familiar with SDLC, but never in details.

In the 2 days resarch over youtube, forums etc, it seems like everyone is explaining what does it mean, but there is not a single tutorial how to approach it and write detailed report.

My question is:

-Is there anyone here who can tell me what requirments should I have to even apply for this?
-What kind of format is best to use for writing test report, or should I just go with MS Word?
-Would it be smart to use some of automatization test programs when applying for a job?

Any answer is helpful at this point :)
Gold: 445.00
May 18 2017 12:17pm
I am probably no help but during my education test cases for integer inputs would go:

Test the lowest possible value
Test the highest possible value
Test zero and one.
Test a value that should work
Test a value that shouldn't

Then break it into columns in a table:

Precondition
Expected outcome
Actual outcome

I don't know how helpful this is but maybe get you thinking. :)
Gold: 2,407.00
May 18 2017 05:21pm
Backend code should be tested with unit tests.

Front end should be tested with something like selenium
Gold: 169.00
May 19 2017 05:50am
Quote (ROM @ May 18 2017 06:17pm)
I am probably no help but during my education test cases for integer inputs would go:

Test the lowest possible value
Test the highest possible value
Test zero and one.
Test a value that should work
Test a value that shouldn't

Then break it into columns in a table:

Precondition
Expected outcome
Actual outcome

I don't know how helpful this is but maybe get you thinking. :)

It does really help me, just to see how should I design my report. And table with Expected outcome -> actual outcome is a great idea!

Quote (Mastersam93 @ May 18 2017 11:21pm)

Actually, insider information is that do really use Selenium for testing front-end.
But for interview question, we will not be needed to use any programm, just test it ourself - and write some report.

My mainly question is how should that report look alike, just some tips, since there is no actual QA report example on google :(
Gold: 1,939.50
May 21 2017 05:48pm
Quote (Mastersam93 @ May 18 2017 06:21pm)

You can write unit tests for front and back end code. Selenium would be an integration test and would be another necessary thing to have if you want complete coverage.
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll