d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > 7 Years Programming Now > A Google Story
1238Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 481.00
May 16 2017 08:07am
As I reach 7 years I look back to how it all started

Being 14 years old and a diablo 2 player, I thought to myself man these item shops make a lot of money I bet. So I figured I'd learn a little html and try to be them. Then I realized wow they are getting wayyy more items then me wtf how do they do that.
So I found Google, the key to all that is.
Quickly I found d2jsp, and other websites that shall not be mentioned in modern day. So within a few days I figured out how to not play diablo at the same time on 10 different accounts, wow life was good. Speaking of WoW, that was a good game I thought, but it costs money every month and I'm trying to save for a car. So I found private servers, and played on them for a couple months.
Then it hit me, man I should just make my own private server, so I went to the fountain of truth and knowledge, Google.

From here I found a very popular gaming forum that also had private server stuff. It was a rage zone. Within days, I had a private server up and running, and people slowly came. Within months, thousands of people were playing and buying items to be filthy cheaters but it made me so happy. From this I learned a little bit of LUA and SQL stuff, perfect to get me started.
At around 16 I said you know what, fuck school I'm already making money and they don't teach me shit, so I got my G.E.D and passed every section with 100%. My writing section they asked me to base a story off a hero, fictional or non fictional, so I based it off of Mike Hunt. Mike was a mexican dairy farmer who came to the U.S. illegally and worked on a farm to provide for his family, showing true heroism and family values.
Now a free 16 year old, running a WoW private server, I was living the dream. The server lasted a while, almost until I was 18.
Now came the real challenge, I have to get a job. So I went to craigslist, looking for a job doing SQL stuff, found a job at a small company that does property management.
I was making and maintaining their databases for records and exporting daily reports to excel for them. Soon they wanted more, they always want more. So I ended up having to learn VB.Net in order to make a data entry client for them.
I knew what needed to be done and I went to the most sacred thing to me, Google.

Within days, I was speaking computer english ( VB.Net ) fluently, it was amazing. Months later, they now have a data management client for all their needs. But then again, they wanted more, much more. They needed information off thousands of websites through a program, something far beyond my skills.
Google knew though, Google always knows.
I found code snippets of web scrapers using WebBrowser objects and HTTPRequest all sorts of crazy alien stuff. But they were all in C#, a foreign language to me.
Once again I made a sacrifice to Google and was gifted with knowledge. These web scraping, information thieving programs were running within months. They thought I was so good, they promoted me quarterly. By the time I was a 21 year old high school dropout, I was making $20/hr.
But it wasn't me, it was all Google.

I am still at this same company today, almost 25. I am the head of their I.T. department and making what they call salary. I would like to thank Google, vbf, rzone, diablo 2, wow, and d2jsp. I am fluent in VB, VB.Net, C, C#, HTML, and MVC. Without those previously mentioned none of this would be possible and I'd probably be homeless or selling dope.

tldr;
d2 is good, wow sucks, fuck school, Google #1, fuck yahoo, fuck msn, fuck bing, fuck 12, Google #1, fake it til u make it

This post was edited by t9x on May 16 2017 08:07am
Gold: 11.01
May 16 2017 10:33am
That's all good and dandy... but most importantly can you tell me the computational complexity of inserting into a BST? How about finding the largest # in a BST?

I'm just messing with you. Teaching yourself is really the only good way to learn functional programming. Classes can teach you about algorithm design etc etc but most people won't use it in their day to day jobs.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
May 16 2017 10:38am
I have a feeling if you were presented with a low level abstracted problem that is purely math based you wouldn't be able to solve it.

But I guess that's what you get when you fake it til you make it.
Gold: 1,457.00
May 16 2017 12:02pm
Quote (PuppyMonkeyBaby @ May 16 2017 09:33am)
That's all good and dandy... but most importantly can you tell me the computational complexity of inserting into a BST? How about finding the largest # in a BST?

I'm just messing with you. Teaching yourself is really the only good way to learn functional programming. Classes can teach you about algorithm design etc etc but most people won't use it in their day to day jobs.

That's the difference between software architects and code monkeys

signed, another code monkey xd
Gold: 445.00
May 16 2017 03:53pm
I don't know why "fuck school". I went to school, can do everything you can and more and don't have to rely on Google.

I don't make what my company calls a "salary", I make an actual salary. And accomplished it in less time.

This post was edited by ROM on May 16 2017 03:58pm
Gold: 2,407.00
May 16 2017 04:10pm
Congrats man.
Gold: 119.00
May 17 2017 07:42am
only thing I read was "fuck 12". :mellow:
Gold: 481.00
May 17 2017 07:58am
Quote (AbDuCt @ May 16 2017 12:38pm)
I have a feeling if you were presented with a low level abstracted problem that is purely math based you wouldn't be able to solve it.

But I guess that's what you get when you fake it til you make it.

I bet I could figure it out in under 20 mins on google. Most of what I've been doing lately is all GPS related stuff, I feel like I'm remaking pokemon go or something. I'll have you know I was always mathematically inclined and my mother has a masters in mathematics and taught accounting at Alabama.

While on the other side, I have 3 people who work under me, all 4 year bachelors out of UF/UCF and not one of them knows a single programming language and have to be taught while receiving $12/hr pay. Chances are I will end up firing all 3 because the only thing they know how to do is read a book and cheat on tests.

Quote (ROM @ May 16 2017 05:53pm)
I don't know why "fuck school". I went to school, can do everything you can and more and don't have to rely on Google.

I don't make what my company calls a "salary", I make an actual salary. And accomplished it in less time.

Yeah I make an actual salary too, I work maybe 30 hrs a week and bring home $75k/yr while I also invested my money in other ventures.

I say "fuck school" because how are you going to learn anything in a failed education system that only caters to people below the average IQ, basically bringing them up to par. Anyone with any intelligence is better off learning things on their own because 94% of the world is literally stupid.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
May 17 2017 10:38am
Quote (t9x @ May 17 2017 09:58am)
I bet I could figure it out in under 20 mins on google. Most of what I've been doing lately is all GPS related stuff, I feel like I'm remaking pokemon go or something. I'll have you know I was always mathematically inclined and my mother has a masters in mathematics and taught accounting at Alabama.

Here's a simple question then since you like working SQL. Hopefully you know of the SQL attacks that can be used against a web app as well.

How do you calculate the maximum number of bits you can transfer per blind SQL request based on the number of columns in the table and how do you mathematically transfer data out of the table at that bit rate.

Gold: 445.00
May 17 2017 10:47am
Quote (t9x @ May 17 2017 09:58am)
I say "fuck school" because how are you going to learn anything in a failed education system that only caters to people below the average IQ, basically bringing them up to par. Anyone with any intelligence is better off learning things on their own because 94% of the world is literally stupid.

Why can't that be done in tandem with school? School is what you make of it. If you actually try to get the most out of it will be beneficial.

Sure you can boil it down to a slacker who barley passed has the same piece of paper as the best student but school provided the foundation that can be built on.

I had courses that were basically easy cert prep courses, so why not challenge the cert afterwards? Like you were saying an easy class "catering to someone with a below average iq".
Slacker would sit on their ass but now the best student differentiated themself. So on and so forth and the examples go on.
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
1238Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll