d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Need Help With A Few Unrelated Things > Overheating, Ram & Vpn Advice
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 625.69
May 14 2017 06:16pm
As title suggests, I'm looking to resolve a few unrelated problems soon, and was hoping to get some advice.

Before anything else, I'll provide a Speccy report here:

The issues are:

1. I believe my CPU / Motherboard is overheating. My computer abruptly turns off randomly maybe twice a month, and Speccy will generally show 75-90c temps for both CPU and Motherboard sometimes, generally when gaming or watching video. My initial thought is that I need to redo the Thermal Paste, because the last time I removed the dust from the heatsink, I didn't have any to use (I know that's really stupid, I wasn't aware that it needed to be replaced at the time.) I guess my question is if replacing the Thermal Paste is the obvious issue here, or if it could be something else? Is there anything I should know in regards to applying thermal paste, and should I just do that asap then check back if the problem persists?

2. As far as RAM goes, I'd like to move up to 16GB. I have never added RAM before but it seems fairly simple, but regardless, do you guys have any advice for me? Anything specific I need to look for? Is my current stick of RAM good to keep and I just need another stick of 8 or should I just get completely new stuff? I'm pretty clueless here, but yeah, let me know if I need to provide additional info at all.

3. As for VPN, really I'm just curious how many of you guys use VPN's, if you think it's important at all, and if you do, is there anything specific I should look for in the VPN providers? My family tends to use Kodi Amazon Fire Sticks constantly and I'm pretty sure they are just YOLO about it... so that's one reason I was considering getting a VPN sub (not sure if or how I can even apply it to said sticks but yeah.) Aside from that, if I do use it, do you guys know of any way to config a VPN so that when I play online games like Counter Strike, League of Legends, Path of Exile etc, that the VPN does NOT get used, but for everything else it does? Basically the idea that a VPN will negatively impact my connection speeds / ping / packet sizes etc is a massive downside for me while gaming, but at the same time, I can see benefits to using it for everything else.

Thanks for any replies!

Gold: 92.71
Warn: 50%
May 14 2017 06:22pm
1 thermal paste won't help, how old is it

2 ram won't help you much, if you do want to add try and match the one you have, exactly

3 can't discuss on here
Gold: 10,655.00
May 14 2017 06:41pm

OP, your whole computer is too hot.

A better case would help, or more and better fans in the case you have.
Also, lowering your room temp would help as well.

By way of example, here is my Speccy screenshot. My computer is located near a windows air conditioner and has plenty of fans.

May 14 2017 06:54pm
Quote (Ghot @ May 14 2017 04:41pm)
OP, your whole computer is too hot.

A better case would help, or more and better fans in the case you have.
Also, lowering your room temp would help as well.

By way of example, here is my Speccy screenshot. My computer is located near a windows air conditioner and has plenty of fans.

Holy moly those temps.

I have the hottest room in the house and there's no real solution to it unfortunately. It's also the coldest room in the house during winter though, and the temps seem to stay somewhat close to what they are in this speccy report, even when its freezing in my room.

https://www.amazon.com/NZXT-Phantom-Computer-White-CA-PH410-W1/dp/B006I2H04I

This is my case as well, it seems well ventilated, and has a fan on the heatsink, one fan on the back of the case, and the power supply fan. I can see adding another one being helpful I suppose, the touch test shows the top of the case being pretty warm overall.

With that said, do you agree with WhoBut_WBMason that Thermal Paste isn't my issue? I moved the heatsink to blow out the dust and put it back and I know that people say you should remove the old paste and put new paste in when doing that, which I didn't do at the time...

This post was edited by Shinigami on May 14 2017 06:58pm
May 14 2017 06:57pm
if thermal paste was the issue the cpu would be hotter than mobo
May 14 2017 06:58pm
Quote (WhoBut_WBMason @ May 14 2017 04:57pm)
if thermal paste was the issue the cpu would be hotter than mobo

That's a good point...
May 15 2017 02:47pm
So in regards to the RAM, would this work?

https://www.amazon.com/ADATA-1600MHZ-Memory-Modules-AX3U1600W4G11-DD/dp/B00F902O5A?th=1

On speccy it says 666MHz but I couldn't find that while still being "ADATA XPG" but yeah, like I said I'm not too familiar with this. My motherboards manual says it supports 1600 though, this stick on amazon is the same brand while being DDR3 and 8gb (same as my current one) I'm not sure what else I need to match if anything?

I'm also pretty clueless on price ranges of what is a good deal and what isn't, and in all honesty, price is a factor for me. Do these sticks go on sale with any regularity or is this price already as good as I can hope for?

This post was edited by Shinigami on May 15 2017 02:49pm
May 15 2017 03:08pm
Quote (Shinigami @ May 15 2017 04:47pm)
So in regards to the RAM, would this work?

https://www.amazon.com/ADATA-1600MHZ-Memory-Modules-AX3U1600W4G11-DD/dp/B00F902O5A?th=1

On speccy it says 666MHz but I couldn't find that while still being "ADATA XPG" but yeah, like I said I'm not too familiar with this. My motherboards manual says it supports 1600 though, this stick on amazon is the same brand while being DDR3 and 8gb (same as my current one) I'm not sure what else I need to match if anything?

I'm also pretty clueless on price ranges of what is a good deal and what isn't, and in all honesty, price is a factor for me. Do these sticks go on sale with any regularity or is this price already as good as I can hope for?

So did you read what I said
Gold: 18,352.00
May 15 2017 03:13pm
First ur cpu temps are fine the mobo is over heating if anything
Reapply paste pads on North/South Bridge and get better case or more fans for air flow and work on cable management.

Ideally you want 1 kit of your desired ram that's on the qvl to avoid any issues though 95% of the time mix matching is fine

We can't discuss VPN on jsp.
May 15 2017 03:19pm
Quote (King Atrhur @ May 15 2017 05:13pm)
First ur cpu temps are fine the mobo is over heating if anything
Reapply paste pads on North/South Bridge and get better case or more fans for air flow and work on cable management.

Ideally you want 1 kit of your desired ram that's on the qvl to avoid any issues though 95% of the time mix matching is fine

We can't discuss VPN on jsp.

Same
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll