d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Career In Programming > From Zero Knowledge Self Taught
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 11,035.50
May 12 2017 07:51am
Quote (Zekdawg @ May 12 2017 09:21am)
38-40k hahahahahahahanaa

??
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
May 12 2017 08:27am
Quote (matthewg9 @ May 12 2017 09:51am)
??

Joke salary for a cs majot grad with all that exp.
At least 60k+ is reasonable for entry lvl position of that nature no?

This post was edited by Zekdawg on May 12 2017 08:34am
May 12 2017 09:46am
Quote (Zekdawg @ May 12 2017 10:27am)

absolutely i would say for Toronto. Every job no matter how "entry" level, seems to say "oh we want 1 or 2 years exp in html css javascript etc" but i feel like thats a preference and not an actual need. Simply based on the one job site (indeed) there are 2500 results when you search javascript. If there is that much of a demand and you have no experience but are willing to learn they would hire you...no?

I have no experience in this field so correct me if im wrong. Its a results driven field correct? if you can do it, you can do it. Things can be taught as well and learned on the job more-so than self study.

Here are a few links to people who have "self studied" for front end development and I am wanting to somewhat learn on the same path they did so i am employable. I wouldnt expect more than 40k for my very first job but after 1 year id expect 45k, after 2 id expect 55 and after 3 id expect 60+. I plan on learning javascript for the front end but i want to be a fullstack javascript dev because it seems there is a demand for that.

https://medium.freecodecamp.com/my-journey-to-becoming-a-web-developer-from-scratch-without-a-cs-degree-2-years-later-and-what-i-4a7fd2ff5503

https://forum.freecodecamp.com/t/computer-guide-get-job-ready-with-1-fcc-cert-3-projects-2-courses-and-10-books/64027

Those are the two links of people who "self taught" into a job.

I want to know from knowledgeable people if this is a good path or not to be employable. Will i want to learn other stuff after javascript? sure maybe. But my main goal for financial reasons is to be employable ASAP. Do i want to work remotely and freelance too? absolutely. A normal job too? sure why not.
Gold: 445.00
May 12 2017 11:08am
Quote (Zekdawg @ May 12 2017 10:27am)

I know right.

Quote (matthewg9 @ May 12 2017 11:46am)
absolutely i would say for Toronto. Every job no matter how "entry" level, seems to say "oh we want 1 or 2 years exp in html css javascript etc" but i feel like thats a preference and not an actual need. Simply based on the one job site (indeed) there are 2500 results when you search javascript. If there is that much of a demand and you have no experience but are willing to learn they would hire you...no?

I have no experience in this field so correct me if im wrong. Its a results driven field correct? if you can do it, you can do it. Things can be taught as well and learned on the job more-so than self study.

Here are a few links to people who have "self studied" for front end development and I am wanting to somewhat learn on the same path they did so i am employable. I wouldnt expect more than 40k for my very first job but after 1 year id expect 45k, after 2 id expect 55 and after 3 id expect 60+. I plan on learning javascript for the front end but i want to be a fullstack javascript dev because it seems there is a demand for that.

https://medium.freecodecamp.com/my-journey-to-becoming-a-web-developer-from-scratch-without-a-cs-degree-2-years-later-and-what-i-4a7fd2ff5503

https://forum.freecodecamp.com/t/computer-guide-get-job-ready-with-1-fcc-cert-3-projects-2-courses-and-10-books/64027

Those are the two links of people who "self taught" into a job.

I want to know from knowledgeable people if this is a good path or not to be employable. Will i want to learn other stuff after javascript? sure maybe. But my main goal for financial reasons is to be employable ASAP. Do i want to work remotely and freelance too? absolutely. A normal job too? sure why not.

Yeah but to put that wage into perspective, you can almost get there working full time at minimum wage in Ontario.

The education isn't a requirement but when there is such a large influx of applicants why not throw it in there.

These are just my experiences though. Ofcourse it could be different.
May 13 2017 11:00pm
just wondering if anyone else has any input
Gold: 1,939.50
May 14 2017 06:17pm
Quote (matthewg9 @ May 14 2017 12:00am)
just wondering if anyone else has any input

You'll be able to apply for and work at a lot more companies if you learn full stack. html css and js are good if you're just designing web pages, but I don't think that will enable you won't be able to work on most enterprise software. learning the middle (java/python/js/php whatever) and back-end (sql, nosql, whatever) would give you everything you need to work in web technologies. All you need are the very basics as far as middle tier and back ends go because at larger companies you'll rarely touch them as an entry level worker, but you need to know the basics to land the job.
Gold: 20.00
May 14 2017 09:31pm
Quote (waraholic @ May 14 2017 07:17pm)
You'll be able to apply for and work at a lot more companies if you learn full stack. html css and js are good if you're just designing web pages, but I don't think that will enable you won't be able to work on most enterprise software. learning the middle (java/python/js/php whatever) and back-end (sql, nosql, whatever) would give you everything you need to work in web technologies. All you need are the very basics as far as middle tier and back ends go because at larger companies you'll rarely touch them as an entry level worker, but you need to know the basics to land the job.

after reading this i feel alot better because i have taken.php adv php java, intro sql, sql 2, adv sql and html adv html. yet i still feel like i dont know wtf or how they talk in.code or how to apply it when the time comes. but i know everything taught in those classes and how it works
Gold: 1,939.50
May 15 2017 02:07pm
Quote (jsbb @ May 14 2017 10:31pm)
after reading this i feel alot better because i have taken.php adv php java, intro sql, sql 2, adv sql and html adv html. yet i still feel like i dont know wtf or how they talk in.code or how to apply it when the time comes. but i know everything taught in those classes and how it works

If you're entry level you'll be given work that you can do and that is usually stuff that more experienced developers don't care to fix. Bug fixes, minor changes, testing, stuff like that for starters. You'll learn the product that you're working on that way and be somewhat useful. More experienced devs often like to do the more complex work that takes longer to complete.
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll