d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > What Causes Transphobia?
Prev14567819Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 9.00
May 3 2017 09:53pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ May 4 2017 05:38am)
If a being was perfect, wouldn't all of his creation be perfect?

So then how can something made perfect become imperfect?

I don't know but the point is that it was not in the original creation. Health and wholeness is what is normal.
Gold: 4,341.71
May 3 2017 09:58pm
Quote (Kiseki @ May 4 2017 03:32pm)
i anticipated the retard babble, thanks for the legitimate responses for those who did

surprisingly my story ended up being a positive one, very transphobic family that eventually started to accept me, i see my life being mostly positive as far as my relationships to family goes

i try my best to show people transgendered people are normal people just like anyone else, and i have turned the opinion of just about everyone at my job, save a few people but thats just how it goes

if the 80 year old lady who works with me can be ok with my being transgender, and she is a devout christian, i think ill be able to make a small difference in this world

why should people have to change just becuz u having a weird crisis
Gold: 0.00
May 3 2017 10:09pm
Quote (Tjo @ 4 May 2017 03:53)
I don't know but the point is that it was not in the original creation. Health and wholeness is what is normal.

So helping trans people to transition is helping them to be normal. Thanks for agreeing with me.
Gold: 11,571.00
May 3 2017 10:14pm
Quote (Scaly @ May 3 2017 09:09pm)
So helping trans people to transition is helping them to be normal. Thanks for agreeing with me.

41 percent of transgender people attempt suicide sometime in their life; just 4.6 percent of the rest of the population does. The suicide rate among transgender people who say they are never identified as transgender is still 46 percent. 45 percent of transgender people who undergo hormone therapy attempt suicide – higher than the general transgender suicide rate.

These people need mental health, not be sold lies that if they transition things will somehow be wonderful.
Gold: 1.66
May 3 2017 10:19pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ May 4 2017 04:14am)
These people need mental health, not be sold lies that if they transition things will somehow be wonderful.

Nobody is saying that, and the suicide statistic you're using is disingenuous and smacks of false benevolence.
Gold: 0.00
May 3 2017 10:24pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ 4 May 2017 04:19)
Nobody is saying that, and the suicide statistic you're using is disingenuous and smacks of false benevolence.

He knows it is. That's why he didn't post his source. Eaglerising.com a lovely website.
May 3 2017 10:26pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ May 3 2017 09:19pm)

https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/AFSP-Williams-Suicide-Report-Final.pdf

Not sure if this report covers the suicide % of the transitioned but the 41% is surely accurate.

It's tough for me to be loving to people that call me a bigot and backwards for adhering to my Christian dogma, but deep down i want whats best for these people. They are someones son, daughter, sister, etc. I'v had depression, i'v had anxiety, uncertainty, and i'm sure they suffer from these types of emotions at an exponential level.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on May 3 2017 10:26pm
Gold: 9.00
May 3 2017 10:26pm
Quote (Scaly @ May 4 2017 06:09am)

Whatever is best for them so they get the best mental and physical health is optimum.
Gold: 1.66
May 3 2017 10:36pm
Quote (Scaly @ May 4 2017 04:24am)
He knows it is. That's why he didn't post his source. Eaglerising.com a lovely website.

Quote (ofthevoid @ May 4 2017 04:26am)
https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/AFSP-Williams-Suicide-Report-Final.pdf

Not sure if this report covers the suicide % of the transitioned but the 41% is surely accurate.

It's tough for me to be loving to people that call me a bigot and backwards to adhering to my Christian dogma, but deep down i want whats best for these people. They are someones son, daughter, sister, etc. I'v had depression, i'v had anxiety, uncertainty, and i'm sure they suffer from these types of emotions at an exponential level.

The actual % of suicide is irrelevant to the main point though, which is that you're using a statistic in a disingenuous way and as a form of false benevolence whereby you project your personal opinion onto people rather than explore explanations for a higher suicide rate outside of your preconceptions.

Nobody is saying that "transition services = wonderful" to the point that they'll "reduce or eliminate the disparate suicide rate". Rather, suicidal ideation extenuates from a plethora of factors, largely connected to familial, communal and societal support and acceptance. So the transgender individual who was suicidal pre-transition services still has a greater-than-average rate of suicidal ideation post-transition services starting because the original major factors that played into depression and suicidal ideation are still present. This has been documented for some time, and most recently in the largest to-date survey of transgender people:

Quote (NCTE Survey 2015)
Experiences varied widely between those with family support and those with unsupportive families, with family support being associated with a reduced likelihood of negative experiences. Respondents with family support were:

- Less likely to report currently experiencing serious psychological distress9 (31%) in contrast to those with unsupportive families (50%).
- Less likely to have attempted suicide (37%) than those with unsupportive families (54%).
- More likely to have attempted suicide in their lifetime (65%) than those who did not experience family violence (39%)

There are more results that detail this in more depth within the survey, but the above stats were taken from page 74 of the survey available here: http://www.transequality.org/sites/default/files/docs/USTS-Full-Report-FINAL.PDF

It's false benevolence because you're mis-using a suicide statistic to further your own opinion on being transgender, but doing so under the guise that you're "concerned" about them. However, true concern and compassion starts with listening to people/communities themselves about what factors they've identified as leading to their disproportionate levels of depression and suicidal ideation. It is not a radical conclusion that transgender people/the transgender community know "what's best" for them.

This post was edited by Handcuffs on May 3 2017 10:38pm
May 3 2017 10:51pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ May 3 2017 09:36pm)
The actual % of suicide is irrelevant to the main point though, which is that you're using a statistic in a disingenuous way and as a form of false benevolence whereby you project your personal opinion onto people rather than explore explanations for a higher suicide rate outside of your preconceptions.

Nobody is saying that "transition services = wonderful" to the point that they'll "reduce or eliminate the disparate suicide rate". Rather, suicidal ideation extenuates from a plethora of factors, largely connected to familial, communal and societal support and acceptance. So the transgender individual who was suicidal pre-transition services still has a greater-than-average rate of suicidal ideation post-transition services starting because the original major factors that played into depression and suicidal ideation are still present. This has been documented for some time, and most recently in the largest to-date survey of transgender people:

There are more results that detail this in more depth within the survey, but the above stats were taken from page 74 of the survey available here: http://www.transequality.org/sites/default/files/docs/USTS-Full-Report-FINAL.PDF

It's false benevolence because you're mis-using a suicide statistic to further your own opinion on being transgender, but doing so under the guise that you're "concerned" about them. However, true concern and compassion starts with listening to people/communities themselves about what factors they've identified as leading to their disproportionate levels of depression and suicidal ideation. It is not a radical conclusion that transgender people/the transgender community know "what's best" for them.

Verbose response about feels and that the statistics i initially posted somehow are disingenuous when your own report pretty much quote the same numbers. It's not a shocker that a person suffering from fill in the blank is less likely to commit suicide compared to an afflicted person if they have family support, newsflash, that's true of all sub populations.

That's the whole point, they still suffer from depression, they still feel a certain way even though they have transitioned.

From your own linked article:

Forty percent (40%) of respondents have attempted suicide at some point in their life,
compared to 4.6% in the U.S. population.
Forty-eight percent (48%) of respondents have seriously thought about killing
themselves in the past year, compared to 4% of the U.S. population, and 82% have
had serious thoughts about killing themselves at some point in their life.
Nearly one-quarter (24%) of respondents made plans to kill themselves in the past
year, compared to 1.1% of the U.S. population.
Seven percent (7%) of respondents attempted suicide in the past year, compared to
0.6% in the U.S. population.
More than two-thirds (71%) of respondents who have attempted suicide have done
so more than once in their lifetime, with 46% of those who have attempted suicide
reporting three or more attempts.

Of course the stigma and societal pressure accounts for good % why these people have such high suicide rates & thoughts but the mental health is an attribute that has largely been white washed from the discussion.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on May 3 2017 10:59pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev14567819Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll